Quantcast
Why God is Imaginary - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Why God is Imaginary

My Ride
    GTI

I believe in all the facts presented by science, I also believe in God.

That said, why are all these Athiests trying to push their beliefs onto me? It's annoying.

Originally posted by sputnik

There are some people that will try to discredit theories that clash with their beliefs. However there are few (taking into consideration the BILLIONS of people that believe in God) that will try but most are brushed off as zealots. In the end that really doesn't do much other than create conflict between one faith (in religion) and the other faith (in theoretical science).

I think the big backlash against religion is because this isn't really true. More and more religious people are emerging to try to "shove religion down our throats". Look at the United States and the Intelligent Design being taught in schools debacle. It has gone from being a few loud mouthed zealots to being a majority stance in many places. And lets not forget the gay marriage debacle, there and here in Canada. Both of these are examples of a large majority of religious people, moderate or not, who believe that their religious views, which should not be forced on people, should in fact be forced on people.

As for the billions of believers in the rest of the world, well, it's probably best that we don't discuss them, as religion is in the focus of many a war and struggle, even today.

Originally posted by Hakkola
    I believe in all the facts presented by science, I also believe in God.

That said, why are all these Athiests trying to push their beliefs onto me? It's annoying.
    No kidding, athiests are like the 21st century mormons / jehovas
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

this topic always just seems to go in circles. This debate has raged for thousands of years, and a couple of points on Beyond are not going to change anything. With that said, some of the reasoning in this thread is just downright brutal. tkris, you asked me to define some of these overstepped blanket statements, as you mentioned you haven't seen any... it would be my pleasure:

*Every time someone mentions anything you find faulty, you decide to bring up your "Celestial Teapot" theory from Russell. Although his theory does have merits, so does Pascal's Wager.... and I'm not here to debate the merits of that. Merely crying "Celestial Teapot" does not end a debate and prove you right. If that was the case, I would just post "Pascals Wager, and we could banter back and forth for days. - The entire premise defeats itself.

89 Coupe: But where did the word "God" originate from? Earliest record of course is the Bible. I beg to differ... and have stated as such, but have not heard a response.

tkris - and I quote: "Philosophy may have it's place, but it has no bearing in the scientific community" - We have stated this SO many times, I'm going crazy. Not only are both neccesary, they are entirely DIRECTLY related. Many major breakthroughs in theoretical Physics are based on theories that were first conceptualized in Philosophy. Since you seem to enjoy definitions so much, the definition for philosophy is: "the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct." Now try and tell me that doesn't fit into this debate! Also, how do you possibly tell me that doesn't fit into science, especially science related to God and our being?

tkris - As I believe that psychology and philosophy are merely products of evolution (and am backed up by many well respected scientists), and you believe that psychology and philosophy are more of a metaphysical phenomenon (and, as would be expected, almost all psychologists and philosophers would agree with you), our stances are irreparably at odds with one another.
    I agree with much of your statement, and it is a good one. With that said, please tell me you see the humour in this? You are arguing that psychology and philosophy are merely a product of our evolution; which is fine. I disagree with you (obviously based on our backgrounds), but I understand your point. With that said, if you are saying that both of the above are a product of our evolution, you must also understand that "science" is just as much a product of our evolution as philisophy and psychology. Both are man's attempt to rationalize, prove, and delineate truth. Obviously I think we can both agree that truth (outside of our experiential truth) is entirely objective, and thus it is our search for that truth that is a function of our evolution. So science would also be put in that same category... period.

Super-Geo - This is EXACTLY the same as what 'modern' (term used loosely) religions do. It was tool created by (primitive) society. You'd think that after 2000 years we've come far enough for people to upgrade that tool... unfortunately not, it seems.
    Why do people find this innate need to immediately throw religion into the mix. As a Christian, I agree that in many ways religion is very messed up. I don't follow a Pope, I follow Christ (God), period. I can't help if people abuse others in the name of religion (ie: The Crusades), and just because they use the "name" Christian, does not make them so. Religion can be very screwed up.... but never confuse religion with God. As I believe Augustine stated; "never judge something by it's abuse". I have met multiple people who call themselves various religious names, but are arrogant, ignorant, and downright disgusting people. Your "name" doesn't make you who you are. If you look up religion in the dictionary, it is merely a way of trying to organize a cretain belief system.... that's it.

I could continue, but I won't waste your time.

Originally posted by Janice

The 'idea' of a god/creator, which is moreso what I am referring to, has been around WAAAAAY before the bible.
    very ture and the farther and farther you go back the less technical and the less knowladgble we were yea science does NOT know it all YET but think about it 120 years ago we were riding around on horses and wooden carts

we are soooo far advanced from when we created the creator or "God" belief that we have almost every answer that our predesors once believe the "creator" was accountable for

Evolution..... were growing and learning (if man was created in the image of god why were we so stupid)
    as science has proven we have not yet reach the near potential of the human brain

Think if we have advanced so far in just over 100 years what about 500 or 1000 i garentee that one day the human race
    will find what cause the "BIG BANG"

everything has an answer nothing cannot be explained

the plain and simple truth is that we just do not know how to
    find the answers yet
    2001 celica pro mod project, in progress
    87 fox hatch,[email protected] skating, stock 5.0 shortblock,91 co-op pump gas, 11 lbs boost

My Ride
    1098S

Jesus Christ has the most documented life out of ANY human being. -FACT
    Originally posted by S2K2
    Haha I am pushin more hp than your car will ever see I have carbon fiber u don't...
    Originally posted by Sebasshole
    But give her a thumb in the eye just to be safe.

Originally posted by stevo 27
    [B]
    very ture and the farther and farther you go back the less technical and the less knowladgble we were yea science does NOT know it all YET but think about it 120 years ago we were riding around on horses and wooden carts
    we are soooo far advanced from when we created the creator or "God" belief that we have almost every answer that our predesors once believe the "creator" was accountable for
    Are you trying to tell me that were are becoming more intelligent, or just more knowledgeable as time progresses? There's a difference.

(if man was created in the image of god why were we so stupid)
    It may be a good idea to understand that statement before quoting it. By saying "we are created in God's image... he was saying we were created with a soul.... not that we are as intelligent as him!

Originally posted by SNAATCH
    there never was a human being to document and if so
    jesus christ has had the exact same life as numerous sun gods
    thosends and thosends of year before himself

liquid1010: "Are you trying to tell me that were are becoming more intelligent, or just more knowledgeable as time progresses?"

both
    2001 celica pro mod project, in progress
    87 fox hatch,[email protected] skating, stock 5.0 shortblock,91 co-op pump gas, 11 lbs boost

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

LOL not another religion thread.

The athiests declaring all out jihad on christians
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

My Ride
    1098S

there never was a human being to document and if so
    jesus christ has had the exact same life as numerous sun gods
    thosends and thosends of year before himself

liquid1010: "Are you trying to tell me that were are becoming more intelligent, or just more knowledgeable as time progresses?"

both
    What do you mean there was never a human being to document? So Jesus is imaginary?
    Originally posted by S2K2
    Haha I am pushin more hp than your car will ever see I have carbon fiber u don't...
    Originally posted by Sebasshole
    But give her a thumb in the eye just to be safe.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
    LOL not another religion thread.

The athiests declaring all out jihad on christians
    This has nothing to do with religion really. It has to do with "science" vs "God".

Which holds more clout.

Science chooses to find the answer and is willing to modify the answer if new information is presented.

God offers no answers and asks you to believe blindly.

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

Then why don't you go demonstrate like those aryan fools, instead of arguing like hell on a car forum. If you are so sad to see the world ruled by fear and religion do something about it.

You've accomplished nothing here but make people's own beliefs stronger. 0-0

Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
    Then why don't you go demonstrate like those aryan fools, instead of arguing like hell on a car forum. If you are so sad to see the world ruled by fear and religion do something about it.

You've accomplished nothing here but make people's own beliefs stronger. 0-0
    Yeah man, you must be stupid to debate stuff on a forum. What's wrong with you?

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

really it's that stupid? who knew
    Last edited by RiCE-DaDDy; 10-18-2007 at 07:39 PM.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

So...What does this prove? That he was documented a lot?

Paris Hilton is 'documented' a lot (Albeit not the most) in tabloids, tv shows and on websites, does this make her a credible role model?
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    12 TL

What do you mean there was never a human being to document? So Jesus is imaginary?
    you're assuming jesus christ was real yet there actually was/is no proof as of yet stating that jesus christ walked the earth.

Same with buddhism and every other religion. Just another cult, I just happen to be apart of one of the cults.

jesus was a homo...

I should make shirts, they'd sell out quick...

My Ride
    ST184

There never was a human being to document and if so
    Jesus Christ has had the exact same life as numerous sun gods
    thousands and thousands of years before himself

both
    It has been proven (with factual evidence) that Jesus Christ was a man and did exist, the real debate is if he was the son of god.

PS-fixed up your post for ya.

My Ride
    '03 G35 AT

Originally posted by st184

It has been proven (with factual evidence) that Jesus Christ was a man and did exist, the real debate is if he was the son of god.

PS-fixed up your post for ya.
    :O really? can you give me the source of that evidence?
    I'm a christian myself, born and raised, but I am questioning myself from time to time.

Originally posted by st184

BUt what are proven facts? Can you tell me what is in my pockets right now? If not, all that factual evidence is baloney.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast