Quantcast
suncor, syncrude etc. co-op pay - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: suncor, syncrude etc. co-op pay

Default suncor, syncrude etc. co-op pay

Hey guys, I was wondering what the accounting co-op work terms in Fort Mac pay at Syncrude or Suncor, because Im thinking about applying. Also if anyone has completed a work term in fort mac how is it? Are there any women around at all? Whats it like living in the residences they provide? What did you do for fun when you aren't working?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Its pretty much like being in prison except for you have to pay for your own shit.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

+1. Last time I was in Ft. Mac for less than a week and that was already too much. It was in the middle of summer too - I couldn't imagine being there in the winter.

Not sure about accting, but engineering, the money's alright, good, but for coop its nothing that can't be had elsewhere at oil/gas or even a few select other industries.

As for Fort Mac, I'd never live there. As you your question about women, the plural of woman, I can't help you. I know for a fact one of my female classmates is up there so there is at least 1.

Money thats good, but perfectly gettable elsewhere in exchange for hugely expensive everything, and nothing to do but work, sleep, and buy drugs and women.

My Ride
    TECHART & Misha Design

Originally posted by seadog
    Not sure about accting, but engineering, the money's alright, good, but for coop its nothing that can't be had elsewhere at oil/gas or even a few select other industries.

As for Fort Mac, I'd never live there. As you your question about women, the plural of woman, I can't help you. I know for a fact one of my female classmates is up there so there is at least 1.

Money thats good, but perfectly gettable elsewhere in exchange for hugely expensive everything, and nothing to do but work, sleep, and buy drugs and women.
    your speak is good

haha... pretty funny Paul.

Well I am actually considering heading up North and finding out for myself pending an offer, I was just wondering what the actual pay is. I don't think cost of living should be that bad considering that they pay for your housing. I'm not much of a drug man, and I'm assuming I can just bring a huge case of booze with me before I go. I've heard that pub prices really aren't all that bad either, really leaving the main expense being food, but I'm used to living fairly frugally on that front as well.

Seadog seamed to imply that pay at other oil and gas firms are pretty much the same once cost of living is brought into the equation, but then I ask how is it possible that anyone is willing to live in Fort Mac without a significant pay premium?

I lived there for 6 months and now I go back and forth a lot. It's not bad, try to get a 10 and 4 rotation, that way you come home every second weekend. You'll learn a lot in McMurray, and the industry has a lot more respect for people that have actually got some site time under their belt, even if it is in the office. Make sure you hit Teasers at least once, by far the biggest dive strip club I have ever been in.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

It's not that bad lol, If you have tolerance and don't bitch about every single little thing, you will prosper up here. I actually don't mind living here.. No one around, no family... Who is there to help if I need something? Really makes you into a man.

EDIT: A student from Keyano works at my place, he said he talked to others at Suncor and they are pulling around 26/hr.
    Last edited by Darkane; 10-22-2007 at 09:51 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

IF you use facebook there are couple groups for Ft Mac coops etc. Ask some people there. Guy I know finished his term but I do not know what he made.

Some people like it, some don't.

Right on. One last question. Is it possible to work more than 8 hr shifts? Do they pay OT?

Haha, after reading my post I see how great my english indeed was. I guess thats why engineers are paid for math and not words...

I stand by my comments on pay. As a student I was getting $1050/wk at GM 30 minutes outside of Toronto. With OT I averaged over 1500. A good friend worked for Shell in Calgary, and Exxon in Halifax, and made very similar base pay, but didn't get OT.

The money isn't defined by Fort Mac. The money is defined by the oil industry. Fort Mac just happens to be a huge oil center, so you hear more about it. You can get comparable pay working oil sites anywheres, since most of the working conditions are the same. Of course for non front line jobs you might be more restricted to the administrative hubs where they're headquartered.

For FT (engineering anyways) jobs be they near Edmonton, Fort Mac, or in the Yukon, they all pay pretty well the same.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by metalman
    Right on. One last question. Is it possible to work more than 8 hr shifts? Do they pay OT?
    You'd be working 12 hours shifts I believe. Bus picking you up and dropping you off
    Last edited by Darkane; 10-25-2007 at 03:11 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

Syncrude has SHIT pay for coops compared to everyone else. 1st year at Suncor makes more than 2nd year at Syncrude for trades and the office jobs are no different.
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

My Ride
    2000 Neon

Depends what you do. You seem like you don't know too much or have much exp in the oil field, so I will guess this is your first term?

Probably at least 20 an hour for your first term, which is decent considering you get to live for free basically.