Quantcast
How to lose that damn gut?? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How to lose that damn gut??

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
    abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym
    This is about the most acurate thing said in the entire thread. Lots of other good info too.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

C
    A
    R
    D
    I
    O

and

D
    I
    E
    T
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

what do you think is a good weight for a 5'11" male

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by iceburns288

Are you serious? The vast majority of runners (99%, or more) are sticks. I run an average of 11-14 miles a day: it would be wise to assume by now that my only sport is competitive distance running. I have pencils for arms and yet I don't have a defined stomach. Why? Cuz my diet is pretty crap (well, relatively...) but at least I admit it. I mean, I'm obviously not out of shape, and I have some definition, but I'm far from a six pack.
    According to a study I read, the body of a runner over time leans itself out and becomes less 'massive' to become more efficient, streamlined and to have more endurance. The majority of runners I know are leaner than others who do weights and other forms of cardio...however I dont feel that one of them along is sufficient enough to lean someone out.

The best advice in this thread is "Abs are made in the Kitchen" followed by the many forms of excercise necessary to burn calories and increase metabolism.

Some things I would like to add:

1- Try to reverse the order of meal sizes- biggest first then smallest towards the end of the day (you dont need a 1000 calorie steak dinner at 7:30 3 hrs before bed)

2- If you are limited for time in the gym, try and do all the body weight/large muscle excercises you can- push ups, pull-ups, pull-downs, reverse pull-ups, squats, lunges, rows- avoid the over-rated "bicep" day.

3- Green tea fires up your metabolism like no other

4- Avoid large carb portions past like 3-4pm

5- Lots of protein, water, veggies, fruit, fibre, whole grains- avoid the stuff you know you should not eat.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Cummins F10

brennon, are u fucking kidding?
    if anything u need some more weight, as i do

post a pic bren!
    Last edited by T-Dubbs; 11-01-2007 at 09:31 AM.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    The criteria for being a Beyond Baller is simply knowing you are one.
    Deleted F10 535d
    My hybrid burns Diesel & Oil

My Ride
    Cummins F10

Originally posted by rollinv4l
    i was thinkn the same thing...
    im 5'11 and like 155lbs.... def could use some more beef on me
    Originally posted by Mibz
    The criteria for being a Beyond Baller is simply knowing you are one.
    Deleted F10 535d
    My hybrid burns Diesel & Oil

My Ride
    ED & EG

Sice my work is fairly active and I don't go to a gym what has worked well for me is an excellent balanced diet, SMALLER PORTIONS (this is so important as I used to eat way more than I need to, even though it was healthy food) LOTS and I mean lots of water, And regular excercise, whatever it is. I'm nowhere near being ripped, but I'm strong and managed to get rid of that annoying little gut.

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

That kinda thing has lots of factors. Bone structure, bone density, natural frame size etc etc etc.

You could be 5'11 and be healthy anywhere between 155 and like 250.

I'd say a good weight would be.... 30 lbs... soaking wet with a winter coat on though.
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

My Ride
    04 Rsx-s,07 Frontier, 11 ss/rs

I am not ripped, but my diet since the baby came has been all over the place.
    I have learned that everybody reacts differently to food and exercise, but 2 huge factors are stress and sleep.
    Getting 7-8 hours a night, and not creating stress has helped alot.
    If it wasn't for these 2 things, I would be a complete lard-ass.

Also, exercise is like food, smaller doses more often is more efective. Two 20 min sessions are more effective than one 40 minute.
    I have to get back in the gym now that things are almost under control.
    I'm 5'10" and 190, so not ripped at all.
    I think without looking professional I could go down to 175.
    Getting back into the gym and weighing 180 is my goal.
    I'd say 5'11" would be around 175-190 average in decent shape
    and not skinny muscle-wise.
    Body composition is a huge factor though, as mentioned.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    According to a study I read, the body of a runner over time leans itself out and becomes less 'massive' to become more efficient, streamlined and to have more endurance. The majority of runners I know are leaner than others who do weights and other forms of cardio...however I dont feel that one of them alone is sufficient enough to lean someone out.
    Definitely. My calves have become considerably smaller (I used to play football before I ran :p) but they are all muscle; just lean muscle, that's all.
    The best advice in this thread is "Abs are made in the Kitchen" followed by the many forms of excercise necessary to burn calories and increase metabolism.
    +1, plus all the other stuff you listed is also great.

My Ride
    RX300

Originally posted by 1-Bar

Bingo. Generally to get the "six pack", you will have to be under 10% body fat. Males store most excess fuel around the gut area. Best bet is to change your diet.....
    aww man i've got a long way to go...i just did a rough calculation and I'm at 14%

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I'm 9 weeks into my diet (health plan) and I'm down 21 pounds. I would probably be even farther ahead if I worked out more than I do but that isn't possible right now.

For workouts I play ball hocket for 2 hours once a week and do 2 workouts consisting of 20 minutes cardio and 40 minutes of weights. My goal is to lose another 5 pounds by December 15th.

Some of the benifits so far:

1) down 21 pounds
    2) down 2" off my waist
    3) not snoring anymore at night
    4) Sleep apnia is gone
    5) Blood pressure is down
    6) I don't get stiff after workouts anymore
    7) More energy..particularly in the afternoon.
    8) more endusrance during hockey.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Aside from the diet, do wind sprints and other high-intensity, short-burst running. Especially if you're weight training objective is to gain strength and weight. If you're looking to lose weight and gain muscle endurance, THEN go for lower-intensity, and longer duration.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Eclipse Spyder

when ur 5 11" it depends how u wanna look, if u just wanna be lean a good weigfht is about 175-190, if u wanna be muscular a good weight is between 200 and 220, and if u wanna be like hulk hogan go above all that and train and train till ur totally ripped

My Ride
    Eclipse Spyder

Originally posted by rotten42
    I'm 9 weeks into my diet (health plan) and I'm down 21 pounds. I would probably be even farther ahead if I worked out more than I do but that isn't possible right now.

For workouts I play ball hocket for 2 hours once a week and do 2 workouts consisting of 20 minutes cardio and 40 minutes of weights. My goal is to lose another 5 pounds by December 15th.

Some of the benifits so far:

1) down 21 pounds
    2) down 2" off my waist
    3) not snoring anymore at night
    4) Sleep apnia is gone
    5) Blood pressure is down
    6) I don't get stiff after workouts anymore
    7) More energy..particularly in the afternoon.
    8) more endusrance during hockey.
    good stuff, keep up the good work

My Ride
    Eclipse Spyder

ok so i started working out on october 10 2007

Starting weight was 214 pounds with a 38inch waist, and was totally out of shape since leaving high school, and main diet was consisting of probly couple litres of alcohal over every weekend, and eating as much beef and chicken and other not so healthy things

Today is novmember 27, I know weigh 194.5 pounds with a 32inch waist, and my diet consistes of high protein, no fast food, no alcohal, and i workout 5 sometimes 6 days a week, doing 2 muscle groups each day for about an hour on each group, then running 5k, so total workout in a day is about 2.5-2.75 hours

Major diffrences in my like right now, are that i lost lots of weight and inches of my waist, and definetly have tons more energy and a lot more power, im not lazy anymore and feel good and refreshed every morning now

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Originally posted by Eclipse_Spyder

when ur 5 11" it depends how u wanna look, if u just wanna be lean a good weigfht is about 175-190, if u wanna be muscular a good weight is between 200 and 220, and if u wanna be like hulk hogan go above all that and train and train till ur totally ripped
    I'm only slightly taller (6'0) and my weight over the past 4 years has varied from 162 - 215lbs depending what activities I was involved in. Never was fat, nor had a gut.
    When I was running/marathon training I dropped to 162lbs. (all running, no weight training). When lifting weights 4+ days/week, light cardio on off days I managed to get up to 215 lbs.

My ideal weight is around 195lbs.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 11-27-2007 at 01:15 PM.

My Ride
    91 MR2 turbo

Eat lots of veggies, and fruits too. Try to eat your veggies raw so it retains the nutrients in it. Dont do the same work out moves every time you work out, mix things up a little so you trick your body and mind.

over the summer i was in great shape since i had more time to excercise and such, but since school have started, my abs have been slowly dissapearing due to lack of excercise ( too much school and hw). I now mostly watch what i eat and work out when i can to keep in shape and no gain any more than i already have.

Originally posted by iceburns288

Are you serious? The vast majority of runners (99%, or more) are sticks. I run an average of 11-14 miles a day: it would be wise to assume by now that my only sport is competitive distance running. I have pencils for arms and yet I don't have a defined stomach. Why? Cuz my diet is pretty crap (well, relatively...) but at least I admit it. I mean, I'm obviously not out of shape, and I have some definition, but I'm far from a six pack.
    same here I use to do long distance running and play alot of soccer,upper body was thin like a stick and I had pretty large legs..had a six pack but that was more due to kick boxing training.
    I'm 5'10 and I weigh 160..need to gain some more weight

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by CLiVE

I'm only slightly taller (6'0) and my weight over the past 4 years has varied from 162 - 215lbs depending what activities I was involved in. Never was fat, nor had a gut.
    When I was running/marathon training I dropped to 162lbs. (all running, no weight training). When lifting weights 4+ days/week, light cardio on off days I managed to get up to 215 lbs.

My ideal weight is around 195lbs.
    if you have low bodyfat @ 215lbs and 6'0 you would be f**king jacked..

i'm 6'7 and working on 220lbs and i wouldn't consider myself skinny..
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast