Quantcast
U of C effective writing test - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: U of C effective writing test

Default U of C effective writing test

i got my effective writing results today and i did not pass, i'm wondering if anyone here knows a easy way to pass the effective writing requirements. I've heard that there are some courses that are easier than the test.

thanks

My Ride
    Grimace

there are certain english classes you can take, but i would rather spend a couple hours and $50 doing the test, then an entire semester and $500 on a full class.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

most degree requires you to do at least one ENGL class, just take it and get a B.

well i'm in engineering so i don't have Engl as a requirement, i was thinking about those non-credit courses, has anyone taken those before.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by schocker
    there are certain english classes you can take, but i would rather spend a couple hours and $50 doing the test, then an entire semester and $500 on a full class.
    Good call

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    most degree requires you to do at least one ENGL class, just take it and get a B.
    I believe they have dropped it down to a B- now.
    Ultracrepidarian

go to the effective writing centre and get them to go through your last test. this will tell you what you are screwing up on, and have to watch when writing your next one. 3 spelling mistakes was a fail for me when i did this test a few years back. it's not actually about content as you would think, it's all about grammar and spelling. GL

My Ride
    No Ride

Originally posted by msommers

Good call

I believe they have dropped it down to a B- now.
    yeah it is just a B minus now.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Default Re: U of C effective writing test

Originally posted by tlapec
    i got my effective writing results today and i did not pass, i'm wondering if anyone here knows a easy way to pass the effective writing requirements. I've heard that there are some courses that are easier than the test.

thanks
    You should just write it again. I think they are usually more easier on you the second time, cuz the first time they just want your 50 bucks (or however much it costs now a days)

It's funny cuz in my first year I knew 3 people that went in to write it, 2 of them said it was their second time writing it (even though it was their first time) and one guy said it was his first time. The two guys passed, and the one guy failed haha.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

I thought it was a requirement to enroll in classes at the UofC if your high school English mark wasn't sufficient enough.

I hated English class in high school so I had to write the effective writing test my first year at the U and I didn't find it hard. As far as I remember it was a simple two or three page essay on a relatively easy topic. Things might have changed.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Originally posted by Ajay
    I thought it was a requirement to enroll in classes at the UofC if your high school English mark wasn't sufficient enough.

I hated English class in high school so I had to write the effective writing test my first year at the U and I didn't find it hard. As far as I remember it was a simple two or three page essay on a relatively easy topic. Things might have changed.
    I think you had to pass it before the end of your first year. If not they don't let you register for your second year classes.

I had to write mine as well, and I passed the first time. Seemed alright for me as well.

My Ride
    10 WRX

How can you not pass? x_x
    I just passed mine woot lol

Originally posted by Dehvee
    How can you not pass? x_x
    I just passed mine woot lol
    For the same reasons why you didn't get high enough marks in high school to NOT have to write the test in the first place. Not everyone's an English professor

My Ride
    10 WRX

Originally posted by bulaian

For the same reasons why you didn't get high enough marks in high school to NOT have to write the test in the first place. Not everyone's an English professor
    I suppose, but they try to make the topics broad so that everyone can write a decent response. Haha like that one topic which was about Facebook.

My Ride
    Upass

Dont try to write above your level, they will see right through it. What they really are looking for is proper spelling and sentence structure, so dont worry to much about your arguements, aslong as you can write them down and convey them properly. That being said you cant have really stupid arguements. But again, write simple, like "I believe blah blah blah. I believe this is true because blah blah blah". And then just spend alot of time checking for spelling mistakes and sentence structure. A good way to check for spelling mistakes is to read your writing backwards, that way your mind doesnt just read over the mistakes as your reading with flow.