Quantcast
WTF- $90 oil change at Lexus....non synthetic...do they use gold? Couple questions... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF- $90 oil change at Lexus....non synthetic...do they use gold? Couple questions...

My Ride
    Miller

I pay $98 for my oil changes at the ford dealership and my truck takes 15 liters!

jibber is offline slower than rage2 at the track
    My Ride
    2021 K1X FB20D GT Sport, 2012 K23 N50 VQ40 SV

My car rus $180 for a normal service, $350 for the extensive service, and I have to alternate between a normal and an extensive service every 8000 km.

Just had my first big service, oil & filter, air filter, and a 300 point check, plus swap over to winter tires. And I only take 2.7 L of Mobil1 0w40 full synthetic.

The bill came to $534 after tax, and I supplied the tires.

Which means the bill for just my oil change and filters cost $400.

All the money I save in fuel just goes right back to the stealership
    Originally posted by RoseLover
    if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

I drive the newer 06 civics and my oil change is about 80-90 depending on whether I decide to drive to high river or stay in calgary.
    it takes 4L and the change is regular 5w-20...

recently, I've been going to my uncles shop and he can do a regular oil change for 45, plus a little extra for synthetic.. however I buy my own synthetic.

Not sure if you guys are familiar with Elmo's Automotive or PAZ automotive.. both are my uncles and they specialize in Toyota/Lexus. Good shops, honesty and good service can't be beat. Should check them out

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by riced
    I drive the newer 06 civics and my oil change is about 80-90 depending on whether I decide to drive to high river or stay in calgary.
    it takes 4L and the change is regular 5w-20...

recently, I've been going to my uncles shop and he can do a regular oil change for 45, plus a little extra for synthetic.. however I buy my own synthetic.

Not sure if you guys are familiar with Elmo's Automotive or PAZ automotive.. both are my uncles and they specialize in Toyota/Lexus. Good shops, honesty and good service can't be beat. Should check them out
    Thanks I might have to check those out when I need some work done- I'm looking for a Lexus dealership alternative as I refuse to pay their labour rate and retarded prices.

Thanks for all of the insight in this thread everyone- I guess I though that only I get ripped off lol. Its off to Mr. Lube or elsewhere for my next one.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

My Uncle who owns Elmo's AUtomotive... (Elmo, obviously) his son had just bought a Lexus IS300, so I have no doubt that they would be able to work on it much like any other lexus dealership.

In fact, to back up my suggestion.. if you search elmo's automotive on here.. there has been talk about his shop and how good he is. - I'm not trying to promote his business or anything, just trying to help you find a more than reliable, honest place that'll get you good work with a good price tag.
    Hope it works out for you man

Originally posted by JDMSupraTT
    My car rus $180 for a normal service, $350 for the extensive service, and I have to alternate between a normal and an extensive service every 8000 km.

Just had my first big service, oil & filter, air filter, and a 300 point check, plus swap over to winter tires. And I only take 2.7 L of Mobil1 0w40 full synthetic.

The bill came to $534 after tax, and I supplied the tires.

Which means the bill for just my oil change and filters cost $400.

All the money I save in fuel just goes right back to the stealership
    Extensive service = oil change and air filter plus 300 point check?
    wtf...are there even 300 points in a smrt car?

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

Originally posted by icecreamvan

no kidding LOL
    many places have that kind of sales pitch to make you think they're actually checking 300 things. THey probably check door dings, if the door opens properly to spec, if the hood opens etc..

honda services... B1, in particular (for those who are familiar with honda services) include an oil change, filter change and a VISUAL suspension, exhaust check and other minor things for $180.
    I ain't paying 100+ for someone to do a visual check.

Originally posted by JordanEG6
    a buddy pays porsche about $600. but its supposed to be good for 24, 000.
    Pure rape
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I remember asking Lexus when I was shopping for an SC400 how much an oil change would be and got this number. Definitely excessive, I decided that if I ever got an oil change on an SC, I would go to Toyota, and bring my own synthetic.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

jibber is offline slower than rage2 at the track
    My Ride
    2021 K1X FB20D GT Sport, 2012 K23 N50 VQ40 SV

Originally posted by icecreamvan

They don't list is as a 300 point check on the invoice, but that's basically what it is. Every second service, they basically go over the car with a fine tooth comb and fix any problems. The list that is covered in my Owner's Manual is actually quite extensive. The list for the normal service is basically a 99 point inspection, so every service is very thorough... I just wish they bought me dinner first.

Most owners of smarts do all their own oil changes, and just have the dealership do the extensive inspection every second oil change, then the costs of service are comparable to most vehicles.

FWIW, the EDM smarts with the same engine I have have a recommended service interval of 13,500 km, or 1 year. I think if I had that service interval, the extensive service list I have would make a lot more sense. It's a shame they didn't come up with a unique Canadian servicing schedule that is more appropriate with an 8000 km interval... we're basically doing the same services as they do in Eurpoe, but much more often.
    Originally posted by RoseLover
    if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Great thread... would read again.... A+++

My Ride
    is300

My Uncle who owns Elmo's AUtomotive... (Elmo, obviously) his son had just bought a Lexus IS300, so I have no doubt that they would be able to work on it much like any other lexus dealership.

wish you woulda mentioned this earlier. imma bring my car here next time i need something done

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

Originally posted by lexIS300

wish you woulda mentioned this earlier. imma bring my car here next time i need something done
    both his sons are mechanics too that work under him.. so you'd definitely have no problems

My Ride
    firebird

In fact, to back up my suggestion.. if you search elmo's automotive on here.. there has been talk about his shop and how good he is. - I'm not trying to promote his business or anything, just trying to help you find a more than reliable, honest place that'll get you good work with a good price tag.
    Hope it works out for you man
    Beauty- thanks for the reference.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

I just had the oil changed on my IS on Saturday. Invoice states:

Premium 5w20 Oil
    Total Labour and Parts $79.50 + GST

I also checked my other invoices, looks like they've been using Premium 5w20 for a while now. Some of the older invoices show premium 5w30. Overall coast ranges from $71 (older) to the newest at $79.50. Looks like they've changed the oil from 5w30 to 5w20. But all the invoices, they never physically state synthetic. However I did ask the people there on more than one occasion and they've all told me they use synthetic, so it sounds like the woman you talked to there is a tool.

Not sure why the price changed from 71 to 73 to 75 then 79.50. Maybe cuz production costs have gone up or because they changed to 5w20 oil.

You can always go to Toyota and have them change it, should be about $60 and since Toyota and Lexus is the same company....and the engine in the IS is essentially the same as the one in the Supra....you know they'll have parts in stock. The oil filter they use in my car has Toyota stamped all over it.

They recommend 8000k between changes, i asked them about this too and they said the Toyota oil is a higher quality or something but yeah that's the recommended intervals right from the dealership. I have 168k on my IS, it's been serviced since day one from Lexus and it still runs like it's new. Best car I've ever owned to be honest. The service there is a little pricy but when I compare it to the service I receive for my BMW from Calgary BMW or BMW Gallery....it's still cheaper. The oil change interval for my BMW is 15000miles....I change it at 7500miles or 12000km.

If you aren't happy with the Lexus prices then bring it to Toyota.

But in all honesty....dude you drive a Lexus, you can afford to pay for the service.

Remember pal - Gotta Pay to Play.
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 10-25-2007 at 06:36 PM.

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    I just had the oil changed on my IS on Saturday. Invoice states:

Premium 5w20 Oil
    Total Labour and Parts $79.50 + GST

I also checked my other invoices, looks like they've been using Premium 5w20 for a while now. Some of the older invoices show premium 5w30. Overall coast ranges from $71 (older) to the newest at $79.50. Looks like they've changed the oil from 5w30 to 5w20. But all the invoices, they never physically state synthetic. However I did ask the people there on more than one occasion and they've all told me they use synthetic, so it sounds like the woman you talked to there is a tool.

Not sure why the price changed from 71 to 73 to 75 then 79.50. Maybe cuz production costs have gone up or because they changed to 5w20 oil.

You can always go to Toyota and have them change it, should be about $60 and since Toyota and Lexus is the same company....and the engine in the IS is essentially the same as the one in the Supra....you know they'll have parts in stock. The oil filter they use in my car has Toyota stamped all over it.

They recommend 8000k between changes, i asked them about this too and they said the Toyota oil is a higher quality or something but yeah that's the recommended intervals right from the dealership. I have 168k on my IS, it's been serviced since day one from Lexus and it still runs like it's new. Best car I've ever owned to be honest. The service there is a little pricy but when I compare it to the service I receive for my BMW from Calgary BMW or BMW Gallery....it's still cheaper. The oil change interval for my BMW is 15000miles....I change it at 7500miles or 12000km.

If you aren't happy with the Lexus prices then bring it to Toyota.

But in all honesty....dude you drive a Lexus, you can afford to pay for the service.

Remember pal - Gotta Pay to Play.
    haha beauty post...exactly the info I was looking for. Mine was the exact same as yours- $79 + tax and shop fee= ~$90. And it was for the 5w-20 as well.

The car defenitely runs ALOT different with the new transmission and I might even keep it now...we'll see.
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    BMW E46 LSB ///M3

90?! i WISH my oil changes came out to that much at the dealership

My Ride
    89 Colt Turbo

Originally posted by n1zm0
    intervals do not depend on dealership, they are running as specified in maintenance manual, the make's headquaters at Honda canada or Toyota canada don't say 'hey why don't you guys decide when the customer should come in for oil changes', the engineers decide that.

for instance Acura TL/MDX are 6k TSX,CSX,RSX(Premium),EL are 8k, imo its BS, you should change your oil at 6k no later.

edit: oh ya back on topic, 90$ sounds steep for a non-synthetic oil change, which came from their oil pumps in the shop (usually bulk oil from shell, esso etc..)

and ya you coulda done it yourself, learn once, you'll never forget..
    i dunno dude i was pdi - in dealer transfer from somewhere else and i see 8000,7000,6000.....maybe its a korean car thing....
    and that check list thing is BS......you check with out even lookin at it, or feeling it....IE hood release,timing belt,.....etc
    theres thing in the list that no tech would every watse the time to acaully check, Like t-belt
    smart car man got raped......proably so expensive to pay for there new showroom....

Originally posted by gpomp
    Great thread... would read again.... A+++
    Stupid reply! got old after the first 30 times it was posted+++

My Ride
    Taco

Just got my oil and filter changed today at Honda South $36 plus tax, love my civic

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast