Quantcast
WTF- $90 oil change at Lexus....non synthetic...do they use gold? Couple questions... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF- $90 oil change at Lexus....non synthetic...do they use gold? Couple questions...

My Ride
    firebird

Default WTF- $90 oil change at Lexus....non synthetic...do they use gold? Couple questions...

So I just had a transmission replaced at Lexus Calgary under warranty and figured I should get an oil change while I'm there. I used to get full synthetic from Mr. Lube and a free paper and coffee for $90.

I'm expecting to pay $40-$45 max for the oil change and when she is going through the bill, she says I owe $90!! I first asked her if she was joking and she said no. I then asked her if it was synthetic, and she said no to that as well.

Non synthetic too! haha I cannot get over that.

So- is this the real price there or did I get hosed for some reason?

Why is my oil change interval 8000 km?

Does this car use 5w-20? It says 5w-20 on the bill but I was certain they used 5w-30.

I am used to Honda's and Infinitis and every other car that uses 5w-30 and 5k intervals...whats the deal here?

What a pounding...should have at least come with a bottle of KY for $90.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    is300

its synthetic, i dont remeber paying 90 bucks for a oil change haha ill go check to see what i paid.

and i have no idea why its 8000 for a oil change i think bmw does it as well?

My Ride
    GTI

Oil change for my car at the dealership is a little over $100 for synthetic.

My Ride
    w163

Big deal?

My Ride
    a fun 4 cylinder

those toyota engines are so effcient they recomend 8000km intervals. through years of research

My Ride
    is300

just checked mine was 73 dollars for premium 5w30 oil

49.50 for labour 23.50 for the oil

My Ride
    Eclipse

Doesn't BMW take 8L of oil? Lexus might as well?
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I paid $95 for an oil change at VW for the Rabbit. 8000km interval. They did replace my keyfob battery for free though

The sad part is I have access to another dealer that would have done it for $25 (employee discount )

Lesson learned. LOL

My Ride
    a fun 4 cylinder

alot of the toyota engines are running on 5w-20.

if its the IS300 if I recall corectly it takes around 4.5L

My Ride
    is300

for my car it needs about 6L

i think they also charge 10 dollars for shop fee.

haha you think a 90 dollar oil change is rape. dont break your abs sensor haha they want $455. bought the sensor for 30 bucks and i can replace it myself

My Ride
    is Invisible

You drive a Lexus, should be understandable.

I paid $80 for an oil change the first time i got my car(at the vw dealer) and they havent seen me since.

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by bobby_lu
    Big deal?
    Thanks for the most well-thought out post of the year!!!

And to everyone else who chimed in, thanks for your replies.

It is the IS300 as well.

I see it says Premium 5w-20. What is premium?

I know she told me it was not synthetic and I highly doubt that considering the labor alone was $54- Synthetic is like $8 a liter. Synthetic at Mr. Lube is like $90 so I know for a fact that they wont compete with them...it is a dealership after all.

I am complaining but I'm over it- just trying to understand the type of oil used and interval...new to me. I've always been treated great and had great service at Mr. Lube so Lexus wont see me again for an oil change thats for darn sure.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Savanna 7, Super Tempo!, CBR600F4

you could have done it yourself for $30....

My Ride
    89 Colt Turbo

Default Re: WTF- $90 oil change at Lexus....non synthetic...do they use gold? Couple question

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    So I just had a transmission replaced at Lexus Calgary under warranty and figured I should get an oil change while I'm there. I used to get full synthetic from Mr. Lube and a free paper and coffee for $90.

I'm expecting to pay $40-$45 max for the oil change and when she is going through the bill, she says I owe $90!! I first asked her if she was joking and she said no. I then asked her if it was synthetic, and she said no to that as well.

Non synthetic too! haha I cannot get over that.

So- is this the real price there or did I get hosed for some reason?

Why is my oil change interval 8000 km?

Does this car use 5w-20? It says 5w-20 on the bill but I was certain they used 5w-30.

I am used to Honda's and Infinitis and every other car that uses 5w-30 and 5k intervals...whats the deal here?

What a pounding...should have at least come with a bottle of KY for $90.

sound like they used syn,and girl upfront is clueless
    or they charged you or Tran fluid, and listed as oil

as for the interval they depend on the acually dealership
    ex at mine we change at 6000, but some other dealership, but of same manufact will use 7000,or8000
    theres a recommended, but when they sell cars they will often offer free oilcahnge as part of the deal,but the manufact will limit the number of free oil changes, to like 3/year, so avg km per year is 20000ish /3 =6666.3333
    some are 4 20000/4 = 5000
    so i am gueese your is 2.5 20000/2.5 =8000

was it this car that u previously put syntheic in?
    cause your not suppose to switch back to normal oil after u swith to syn.

and you cant even compare mr.lube to dealership
    yes mr.lube is cheaper has more incentive to go in.

dealership know your car like that back of your hand,and use oem parts, oem parts have standardized, meaning for ex that after market brake pad would still have minor abestist content while oem will not have it.
    dealershiip charge more, cause your paying them for there knowledge, and knowledge of lexus's

u got a free tranny i dunno why your complaing,trust me if they wanted to they can find the stupidest things to void warranty
    Last edited by Slashin_; 10-25-2007 at 05:16 PM.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by Takahashi
    you could have done it yourself for $30....

omfg, best advise in this thread YET

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

a buddy pays porsche about $600. but its supposed to be good for 24, 000.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    German

The intervals are up to you, the dealer will recommend an interval but at the end of the day its up to you whether you change your oil or not.

Most newer vehicles are using 5/20. It doesn't matter what they actually put in because if it was done at the dealer then its assumed the job was done right. If it was done elsewhere then you would want to make sure you put in what they recommend so they don't try to pull off something sneaky when you go in for a repair under warranty.

5/20 is also more expensive than 5/30 so I guess $90 is ALRIGHT for a dealer.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

intervals do not depend on dealership, they are running as specified in maintenance manual, the make's headquaters at Honda canada or Toyota canada don't say 'hey why don't you guys decide when the customer should come in for oil changes', the engineers decide that.

for instance Acura TL/MDX are 6k TSX,CSX,RSX(Premium),EL are 8k, imo its BS, you should change your oil at 6k no later.

edit: oh ya back on topic, 90$ sounds steep for a non-synthetic oil change, which came from their oil pumps in the shop (usually bulk oil from shell, esso etc..)

and ya you coulda done it yourself, learn once, you'll never forget..
    Last edited by n1zm0; 10-25-2007 at 05:26 PM.

My Ride
    firebird

Yeah well I have no clue what was in here before as I bought it used. I was not aware that 5w-20 was more expensive either.

I still dont think it was synthetic though...the oil only cost $25 on the invoice...

It says premium on the bill.

And I'm definitely not complaining about the free transmission. Its probably my fault for not figuring out the price of an oil change, assuming that it was going to be reasonable.
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

Originally posted by JordanEG6
    a buddy pays porsche about $600. but its supposed to be good for 24, 000.
    ........ I'd rather change it every 5-8 and know the oils good, and save money

But to each they're own.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast