Quantcast
Trouble Pushing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Trouble Pushing

Default Trouble Pushing

so I started to work out a couple of weeks ago .. the problem I am having is after I do a couple of exercises I am pretty much done .. when I try to do other ones I can't push more than 4-5 reps and it won't be at a high weight .. I usually take 30sec between sets .. is that enough? ... also what should I be doing to increase strength because it doesn't seem like I am lifting more pounds than the previous week

My Ride
    1994 mazda mx3

it just takes time
    it doesnt happen in two weeks it takes months
    YOUR ONLY IN CONTROL WHEN YOUR NOT IN CONTROL

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

bwahahahaha! LOL! When I saw the title under health and fitness, I thought it was going to be about dumps, fibre and laxatives.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-30-2020 at 03:24 AM.

i c .. how many more pounds should I be able to push weekly ... like 2-5?

My Ride
    POS

^^ Man it doesn't work that way. It's a gradual approach that differs from person to person. There are so many things to consider like your overall health right now, your diet, body type, blah, blah..... Seems like you're expecting too much. Do some research or talk to a person trainer

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

Yeah dude. It's really dependent on you. There's no real "guidelines" for gains that people usually see.

Expect at least a month until you see some results in your strength and stamina. Took me forever to notice anything!
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Welcome to the wonderful world of training, where it seems everyone else's gains are nutz and yours are null.....

there is a slow building phase for noobs when you first start to train. 4-6 weeks is roughly the time it takes to notice anything. How is your volume? How many set/reps/exercises do you do?
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: Trouble Pushing

Originally posted by beecue
    30sec between sets .. is that enough?
    Probably not. Even in high intensity circuit training routines, the resting period is usually 1 minute.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Default Re: Trouble Pushing

so I started to work out a couple of weeks ago .. the problem I am having is after I do a couple of exercises I am pretty much done .. when I try to do other ones I can't push more than 4-5 reps and it won't be at a high weight .. I usually take 30sec between sets .. is that enough? ... also what should I be doing to increase strength because it doesn't seem like I am lifting more pounds than the previous week
    If you want strength rest 3 minutes a set for the big lifts (bench, Deads, Squats).

As a n00b you should be able to increase on the big 3 by 2-4lbs a week. It sounds to me like you're overtraining and possibly not into it mentally yet. That will come in time, Intensity is the key in the gym.

Also just so you know, you don't really get strong in the gym. You must adapt proper sleeping patterns and eat! Post workout 65G protein with 30G fast carbs, 30G slow carbs and then a low GI meal an hour later with 50more G of protein.

But hell forget most of the routines out there, the main thigns to focus as a real beginner are these excersizes: Dips, Pullups, Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Rows, Leg press, and goodmornings. Focus on COmpound movements and don't worry about specializing yet. Good luck
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

thx for the tips ... on my 2nd week I upped all the exercises by 10 pounds .. didn't go so well ... I do 3 sets of 12/10/8 rep .. increasing weight a little bit each time ... I haven't done any deadlifts or squats because I think I will hurt my back somehow .. I guess I will start with low weights and see how it goes .. also sleeping .. I usually get 7-8 hours .. is that good enough? ... I am always feeling sleepy but I just can't fall asleep before 12am

My Ride

thx for the tips ... on my 2nd week I upped all the exercises by 10 pounds .. didn't go so well ... I do 3 sets of 12/10/8 rep .. increasing weight a little bit each time ... I haven't done any deadlifts or squats because I think I will hurt my back somehow .. I guess I will start with low weights and see how it goes .. also sleeping .. I usually get 7-8 hours .. is that good enough? ... I am always feeling sleepy but I just can't fall asleep before 12am
    8hours is the norm, do the best you can there. You might hurt your back on deadlifts if your form is out, But with begginer weight chances are you'll be ok. Squats are good too, take a bench and do box squats. Basically you sit down and then back up again on the bench. This way it teaches you correct squat form and mental failure is also eliminated.
    - Good box squat video of a guy on one of the boards I frequent.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744 - Good deadlift form article.
    Last edited by Darkane; 10-28-2007 at 03:14 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

thx for the info .. I am going to start out really light ... cuz if I tried to sit like that I would never get back up

My Ride

thx for the info .. I am going to start out really light ... cuz if I tried to sit like that I would never get back up
    Oh of course! Start with literally just the bar and see how it feels. Then put on some 10's on each side.. Again see how it feels. Use those 2.5 and 1.25lb plates if you have them too!

Also just so you know staying on the same weight and hammering out one more rep will equal more work done.

eg: 6rep bench at 200lbs = 1200lbs of total work.

In the next week if you do 200x7 its 1400lbs of total work as opposed to adding 5 or 10 pounds to the bar.

210x6 = 1260. Always do one or two more reps before increasing in weight.

-H.P. Lovecraft

awesome .. never thought of it like that .. thx