Quantcast
Infrastructure Development In New Communities - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Infrastructure Development In New Communities

My Ride
    SC 03 eclipse, 06 TJ,Shadow1100, HD FXSTC, Chopper

Next time before you go buy a home take a look to your left, then your right and find out what is around you before you go ahead and buy in an undeveloped neighborhood. This is like bitching that there are no developed trees in your area. Want more amenities move to them.
    Member since 2003.

If you want amenities and shorter commutes get a place in downtown. If you get a cheaper house out in the middle of no where don't cry there's nothing around you and that it takes forever to go anywhere.

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    how many residents of this country have surgical facilities outside their front door..? haha
    my buddie has a surgical facility in his basement... I've also got a guy for dentist in a basement as well...

Default Re: Infrastructure Development In New Communities

Who do you want sympathy from?

You bought the house out there. Youre contributing to terrible urban sprawl thats affecting Calgary. For a population of 1 million people, this city takes up a huge amount of land. The population density is awfully low compared to other cities.

You chose to buy your house in that particular development. You could have researched what was going to be built and what plans were in place.

Who do you want to pay for new schools, hospitals, etc?

Originally posted by ninjak84
    I'm especially interested in replies from those living in newly built communities themselves.
    After consulting with City of Calgary Developmental Engineers for the last 6 months, I'd like to gather opinions from the public on how the newly built communities in Calgary are coping with their delegated infrastructure development. Of course, any and all opinions are valued.

My personal opinion can be summed up in 1 carefully chosen word : Insufficient.

It is the opinion of every arrogant city official that I've spoken to, that new communities such as Copperfield, Chaparal, etc ... Are being supplied with enough community resources to satisfy the residents. I'm quick to argue this point.

While I live in a FULLY developed community (grocery store, auto service, dining options, community hall), I think it's beyond laughable that a City Engineer (who lives in the downtown core) finds it "Satisfactory" that the residents of Copperfield are left with a gas station and liquor store until the year 2010. Even though some houses have been there for over 4 years. The people making these decisions haven't got a fucking clue as to what it's like to drive 12km to get groceries. Or drive your kids to school everyday.

I'm curious to see how people enjoy paying $500k for a basic home on the city limits, and then get stuck with a gas station, liquor store, and *maybe* a video store as amenities in their communities. Also consider that some of these communities haven't even had their major roads paved yet. No schools ... No healthcare facilities (hospitals are over an hour away!) ... No public recreational options ... Not even a bus route, let alone a C-Train station for 10km sometimes.

So are you happy having paid for your home to get the amenities surrounding you?
    What would you add to your community?
    What would you have prioritized?

My opinion, and the focus of my topic, is that infrastructure in Calgary is of an extremely poor quality. This is why we succumb to the retarded "crash & boom trends" of late. Government priorities are on building and expanding, instead of maintaining and developing (where they should be).

My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by whiskas
    If you want amenities and shorter commutes get a place in downtown. If you get a cheaper house out in the middle of no where don't cry there's nothing around you and that it takes forever to go anywhere.
    I personally think there are less amenities downtown then there are in the burbs.. More so up in the cresent heights area.. there isn't shit around there for shopping..

My Ride
    Bicycle

I don't know why people are bitching.

Everybody knows it take about a 5-10 years for a community to mature and have all services made available.

If you choose to save a few bucks and live in these communities, don't bitch about the lack of facilities. You have choices (especially NOW). Kids too far from school? Move into a community with underutilized school. Traffic is a chaos? Move closer to your work place or where your family is mostly active. If you can't do this, you should STFU and accept the inconveniences.

City and other taxpayers should not rush to your rescue. There are plenty of good older communities to move into.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by modded46

I personally think there are less amenities downtown then there are in the burbs.. More so up in the cresent heights area.. there isn't shit around there for shopping..
    We haven't been infiltrated with Walmarts or Superstores.... but everything else is close by.....

My Ride
    Honda

Default Re: Re: Infrastructure Development In New Communities

Originally posted by max_boost
    The City is booming, infrastructure can't keep up, everyone knows that.

Originally posted by urban.one
    You bought the house out there.
    No, I didn't.

My Ride
    POS

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

It's hard to develop new public transportation routes when you can't even find enough drivers and support staff for existing routes.

Shopping for what though? You've got a Safeway on Centre and 17th, a Shoppers on Centre and 13th, and a chinese supermarket at Centre and 16th.

Unless you were talking about retail shopping. But then there's Banker's Hall, Scotia Centre, TD Square, and Northill Mall.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    NC1

Default Re: Re: Re: Infrastructure Development In New Communities

No, I didn't.
    Then why do you care?

My Ride
    NC1

Crescent Heights is fine.

The City is booming, infrastructure can't keep up, everyone knows that. It takes time and $$$ to get shit done. You want a bus route, LRT, recreational facilities, hospitals all within a distance of what? 5kms? LOL
    I think he plays too much Sim City and expect everything to just pop up.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-30-2020 at 03:21 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    At least in Sim City, when the Sims start complaining about a lack of infrastructure, you can bring out the bulldozer and start again.
    Nor does bulldozer works on a inflated rate. Always $1 a square.

Damn, Now I want to play it again.

stop whining you picked the community not the citys fault, do you think you have the only community in Calgary that has infrastructure problems?, maybe you should have thought about that before moving so far away.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by gatorade
    stop whining you picked the community not the citys fault, do you think you have the only community in Calgary that has infrastructure problems?, maybe you should have thought about that before moving so far away.
    He didn't buy a house there. I don't know if he even lives there. I don't even know why he cared so much to the point where he made calls to the City to talk to Officials and Engineers. They are probably thinking who the hell is this douche bag that keeps calling us?

Anyway, shouldn't the concerns be voiced to the alderman of that specific ward first?

My Ride
    Honda

I don't even know why he cared so much to the point where he made calls to the City to talk to Officials and Engineers. They are probably thinking who the hell is this douche bag that keeps calling us?
    Yeah, thanks for the petty insults and assumptions.

Funny how everyone thinks I sit at home jobless, making complaint calls to the city with my spare time. I'm an earth & materials consultant, who is quite involved with the development of the city. These are issues and people with which I deal in everyday. The 'City of Calgary' is one of my firms' more prominent clients.

Why do I care so much? This is my city, and I'm in a position to bring about change. It would be nice if others who enjoy an incredible quality of life would feel the same way. Seems to be the common concensus around here is "fuck em". That's a choice of your own I suppose ...? While most of the issues I'm discussing don't directly affect ME, I'm certainly interested in making this a better place for everyone to live.
    Last edited by ninjak84; 10-31-2007 at 09:58 AM.

My Ride
    cars

Funny how everyone thinks I sit at home jobless, making complaint calls to the city with my spare time. I'm an earth & materials consultant, who is quite involved with the development of the city. These are issues and people with which I deal in everyday. The 'City of Calgary' is one of my firms' more prominent clients.

Why do I care so much? This is my city, and I'm in a position to bring about change. It would be nice if others who enjoy an incredible quality of life would feel the same way. Seems to be the common concensus around here is "fuck em". That's a choice of your own I suppose ...? While most of the issues I'm discussing don't directly affect ME, I'm certainly interested in making this a better place for everyone to live.

Oh CRY me a RIVER...

That's terrific. However, people want to live out in the new areas, and no one can stop them. And for your changes to be implemented faster than they already are, the city would need a crap load more money. You can somehow try to get that money, but you'll fail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast