Quantcast
How many people like what they do? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many people like what they do?

I've been in B2B sales for about 7 years now with a couple of companies. I am an old fart compared to the rest of you so I have tried a few things in my career.

Sales is a great line of work when lots of stuff is happening but it sucks when things are slow and you can't make stuff happen. When you have a good product you believe in, it is like evangelism - you have a solution that will make people's lives easier or help them run their company better or more profitable. It is really easy to talk to people about something unique or better then the 'old way.' But when your stuff is like everyone else's it takes a special kind of person to fight through all the rejection.

The money is very good. Once you get seasoned and can sell at the executive level you can command a very good base. In my experience $70-100k base salaries for proven performers is not uncommon, and there is a lot of competition to sign good talent so there are good signing bonuses too. Factor in commissions and there really is no limit to what you can make if you are good.

The key to being happy though in this line of work, is selling something you can get excited about and that you would buy yourself. It's true a good sales person can sell anything, but if you are good why make yourself miserable selling crap you don't like?

My Ride
    a plane

i hate my job ! cant wait to finish school. im only in it for the pay ahah
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I take care of a fairly large cutting edge network, and I quite love my job. It has it's moments, but I get a good mix of dealing with people, and technology, as well as a say in the direction we're going, and how to get there. Not to mention a reasonably good compensation package.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, and I actually do look forward to going to work.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by rmk
    I love what I do because of how great I am treated at work, and the fantastic people I work with.
    I find this makes a huge difference (even if it's a crap job) if work isn't too bad to work f'in blows.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    My job licks donkey pouch. Being a desk jockey and pushing papers for half my time, and rotting away on AutoCAD for the rest gets lame after a while.
    Thats exactly what I want to avoid. Whatever that stat was that only 10% of people like their jobs, a good reason for that is likley that most jobs in and of themselves lick donkey pouch. It takes a very special kind of person who would pick up shit or pump oil on some God forsaken arctic tundra for free. Money is the only motivation for those jobs.

I got a Mech Eng degree, and I found most engineering jobs (from co-op), despite paying well, are similar to engineering school. Not a whole lot of fun, no women, and loads of nerds/old people.

Originally posted by anarchy
    Just seems to me that you should be working even harder to have a better life down the road.
    Thats how I got to where I am now. It's not a whole lot of fun to sacrifice everything today in hopes of an awsome tomorrow, though the last 18 months were pretty awsome. What happens if you get hit by a bus? Part of me says that though. Go to the oil patch, work work work, then retire at 30. Obviously I don't plan on doing nothing for the next 5 years, but being in the situation I am now, the job would have to be genuinely interesting(and ideally somewhat related to what I did ton convince myself I didn't waste 5 years), or an absolutely huge salary. (ie oil).

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Enjoy my job so far. Operations in a plant. Money is pretty dang good I must say...
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    a tank

as long as it pays the bills I have no complains
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

I love my job and pay, can't complain at all!

a lot of time people like the money more than their job and it's hard to differentiate between the two if you like spending money.

For example, if you want to have the nicest sports car or a huge house or the latest LCD TV and hit the streets wearing Hugo Boss then the anticipation of your next purchase makes work seem pretty ok. Spending money is something to look forward too and you have become a good consumer.

Now if you dont give a shit about having a nice car or brand name clothes or a huge house in the "burbs" or that new HDTV LCD then work becomes more pointless and a "drag"

Honestly the biggest reason i work is to pay my mortgage, have enough for a vacation once in a while and retirement. All these things dont give me instant gratification like buying new things every weekend, therefore work sucks and money is great, but not satisfying.

Currently i'm seriously contemplating selling my $500,000 home in Calgary buying a nice house in a nice place in the US for $150,000 having cash left over, zero debt in my life and working at a record store so i have enough to pay for medical, property taxes and a big of fun. Basically i'm looking to free myself from the Matrix

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Job is gay, people/perks/pay are all good. I work to live... definitely don't live to work.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Bigmass DOOOOOOOO IT!
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by BigMass

Currently i'm seriously contemplating selling my $500,000 home in Calgary buying a nice house in a nice place in the US for $150,000 having cash left over, zero debt in my life and working at a record store so i have enough to pay for medical, property taxes and a big of fun. Basically i'm looking to free myself from the Matrix
    god would that ever be nice, i fucking hate my job and the lack of pay from it
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Originally posted by finboy

god would that ever be nice, i fucking hate my job and the lack of pay from it
    job?

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by rmk
    I love what I do, but I am more excited for what the future has in store. I work in O&G for a good company who treat me very well. I love what I do because of how great I am treated at work, and the fantastic people I work with. They also pay very well. I've worked a ton of shit jobs for shitty managers to know how lucky I am.
    I'm in a similar situation. I work for a structural steel company and they treat me so well!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I like my current employment, I hate my career (Aircraft Technician). If I ever loose my current job, I highly doubt I'll stay in this industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Jlude

I'm in a similar situation. I work for a structural steel company and they treat me so well!
    Who did you have to kill to find a steel company that treats you right? I think that violates some sort of law

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by Antonito

Who did you have to kill to find a steel company that treats you right? I think that violates some sort of law
    Can't tell ya!

I'm very fortunate...

My Ride
    '11 Civic

Not a big fan of my job, ugh working for an evil insurance company. But my boss is pretty understanding and the people I work with are pretty fun. As far as the pay goes, it's ok I guess.

Honestly though, I don't see myself working in the insurance industry forever. I really want to have a job in HR instead.
    Everything I'm not made me everything I am...

I love my job. Completely. Night shoots where you get on set at 10pm and work til 5am are kinda grueling but it's a small price to pay...

My Ride
    2006 toyota tacoma trd

I own my own business job is good nice to work with my brothers stressful at times when its not busy but at the end wouldnt want to do anythying else.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast