Quantcast
How many people like what they do? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How many people like what they do?

Default How many people like what they do?

So the cliche phrase is always do a job you love. I'm curious how many people are actually doing that? Or are you only there for the paycheck, one job being good as the next.

I finished school a while ago, and due to a series of jobs I worked my ass off at, and other financially furtunate things like scholarships, I really don't need to work for the next 5 years or so. I've already done 18 months of travelling and most things I wanted to do but couldn't due to in school due to time constrictions, so now I find myself bored senseless.

Part of me says just get any job for a while to stave off boredom, but most jobs I had ranked a few notches below the boredom of doing nothing (maybe thats why they paid so well?)

Like Peter from Office Space, if money wasn't an issue, I'd do nothing. Well after a while that gets boring.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

My work - but my compnay is pretty good so I'm in school to get a better position.

What's your education/skillset? Will it still be relevant after a five year abscence or in need of updating?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Go work at a music store or restaurant or something and pick up chicks all day.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

For the most part I like my daytime gig. Its like any job where you have those days.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

get a job hippie!

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

Money-yes
    Job-no

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

I like it for the money. But it's boring and I work with lots of middle-aged engineers. But it's no where near my dream job, but it pays bills.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Yes. I work in the tower at the airport, Air Traffic, you only need a high school degree. I was fully qualified on the job before my 20th birthday! Moneys decent too.

I work in Corporate Communications/Marketing which is basically Internal PR, and I enjoy my job. I have a journalism degree so I enjoy writing/communicating, and this is a good alternative to journalism because I utilize those skills while making decent coin in a corporate atmosphere.

Obviously this particular position is not where I want to be in 5 years but it's put me on the right career path. Part of my job is to increase employee engagement and the research we've done on this topic shows that there are several factors when it comes to strong engagement.

Employees are more engaged when they feel like they are contributing to their company and that their work is being noticed as well as being rewarded for it. And it's important that employees feel like there is room to grow and that their voice is being heard.

I would suggest finding a career that would fulfil those criteria and maybe it'll end up being financially and emotionally rewarding.

Side note:
    While you are in a good position financially right now, even if you didn't have to work for the next five years, what are your plans beyond that? Shouldn't you be looking to invest in something or work even harder, so that not only will you not have to work for the next five years, but you'll be able to retire early and not have to work at all at an early age? Just seems to me that you should be working even harder to have a better life down the road. Not saying traveling isn't worth it, but if you're just dicking around, then why not increase your financial fortunes?

My Ride

Love my work, very satisfying, great office environment.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Depressing stat I read in the Herald quite some time ago: Only ~10% of people end in their dream job or a job they really really enjoy. I'm willing to bet some people find a job they don't mind, make good money or learn to deal with it.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers
    Depressing stat I read in the Herald quite some time ago: Only ~10% of people end in their dream job or a job they really really enjoy. I'm willing to bet some people find a job they don't mind, make good money or learn to deal with it.
    I can stand my job (structural drafter) despite how boring it is sometimes, but only because it pays really well and leaves me lots of free time. I don't even want to imagine having to work a job that both sucks and doesn't allow me to live how I want

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

I like my JOB. I hate my city hahaha. I'm an Instrument Tech Apprentice and I really really like it. Fun, interesting, not heavy manual labour like the heavy trades. It's a good field too.

As far as the pay, it's good enough for me now. When I'm done I'll make decent cash with OT and am seriously thinking, after I'm a J-man, that I'll go challenge the ABSA 4th class and become an Operator.
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

I love what I do, but I am more excited for what the future has in store. I work in O&G for a good company who treat me very well. I love what I do because of how great I am treated at work, and the fantastic people I work with. They also pay very well. I've worked a ton of shit jobs for shitty managers to know how lucky I am.

Default Re: How many people like what they do?

Originally posted by seadog
    ... I really don't need to work for the next 5 years or so...
    Probably not the best idea... if you start looking for work with a 5 year employment gap the people looking at your resume will be wondering WTF.

my job at the moment is the starting point of my future career. its nice to, work with people of all sorts of ages. (i work at the bank). so you get tellers that are mostly from ages 18-20. get some nice eye candy to. then you got the sales staff whom are mostly ages 22+. i love the young environment the bank offers.

theres plenty of opportunities to. so im really excited to graduate this year since i already have my foot in the door.

when i use to work at an engineering office everyone was soo freakin old. i could not stand that environment. and i swear the higher the chain in command at the office, the more bitchier, demanding and more "god like" the people seemed like.

they're like worse than customers @ the bank having bad days.

at my job i really love the interaction i get with other people to.

My Ride
    Acura Integra

Production Engineer - fairly good job, good people to work around, wouldn't be my dream job though.

Tutoring - highly rewarding and good pay

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

I work doing front end web development, I was full time in the past and I'm part time now that I'm in school.

Its the best job I've worked, super flexible schedule for school, pays decent and I'm friends with my co-workers.
    That being said, sitting at a computer all day doing small time updates is definatly my dream job, but I have no idea what my dream job is anyways.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

I love my company but the work is a little frustrating at the moment, mainly because we're having to use software that's still in the beta-test phase.

I also love my other job: I run a DJ and A/V company so I get to do a few gigs plus some car stereo installs to relax. I also do some detailing work too.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast