Quantcast
Little Update on the "50 over" rule in Ontario - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Update on the "50 over" rule in Ontario

My Ride
    You Crazy

Easy solution. Put a bullet in the head of the idiot who is pushing this through.

This is in FACT turning into a police state. You cannot punish something if it is what a huge percentage of the population does.

IE.... if in fact on these highways, even 30% of the people go 120, the speed limit MUST be 130.

Kill him for being a fascist. Simple.

Fuck, only 2% of the population are gays.... yet thats still legal, and has a higher mortality rate (percentage wise) then speeding.

I wouldnt say its a cash grab, i just think its raw stupidity that they're doing it and actually thinking it will work
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Toma
    Easy solution. Put a bullet in the head of the idiot who is pushing this through.

This is in FACT turning into a police state. You cannot punish something if it is what a huge percentage of the population does.

IE.... if in fact on these highways, even 30% of the people go 120, the speed limit MUST be 130.

Kill him for being a fascist. Simple.

Fuck, only 2% of the population are gays.... yet thats still legal, and has a higher mortality rate (percentage wise) then speeding.
    Are you drunk?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Acura Integra

being gay and being straight is still a 100% mortality rate

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Schwa
    being gay and being straight is still a 100% mortality rate
    Oh thank god

Now I understand why trying to stop car accidents, cancer, and heart diseases is a futile effort.....

They were all gonna die anyway

Resistance is futile!

My Ride
    NOYB.

Originally posted by Inzane

That's one way of interpreting it. I'd say instead that statistics are showing that the general populace is demonstrating that local speed limits are perhaps TOO SLOW.
    Circle gets the square!! Three cheers for having a clue.

Most places if they found that the 85th percentile was doing over the posted speed, would raise the posted speed. A disturbing number of places (Calgary, M.D. Rocky View, etc) seem to think that the 85th percentile going over the posted speed should be met with rubbing their hands with glee on how much money they're going to make on photo radar tickets this year.

Last edited by Hamilton515; 01-12-2019 at 04:20 PM.

My Ride
    mk3 brokestatus jetta

i bet that most of these incidents were not even "street racing"
    i see utility vans and minivans with 5 kids in the back on the way to soccer blowing by me doing 50 over... i wouldnt consider that street racing, but wreckless driving.

That commissioner probably loves his american muscle or something and one day he got smoked by a tuner and now he just wants revenge.

My Ride
    fg2

Originally posted by Antonito

I'm slightly impressed, you were able to overexagerate without resorting to using the words Fascist, Nazi, Police State, or New World Order.

But you're still a retard.

The system that was in place for the last few decades obvoiusly wasn't working, so they've imposed stiffer penalties. Increasing the amount of fines and licensing penalties is a lot different than corporal punishment, and if you don't know the difference, you probably can't even put on your own pants. Although I'm pretty sure you just lack the mental capacity to make a point without resorting to wild exaggerations.
    and you dont think its a wild exaggeration to say that people going 50 over are a menace to society and should be fined up to 10k?

the old system wasnt working so changing the fines from 500 dollars to 10,000 is obviously the the next logical step and not in any way an exaggeration?

and thats all assuming that your even right about the "system not working". if 85% of people are speeding, as others have said, maybe its the system (speed limit) thats wrong. the government is supposed to support and protect the views of the majority. if 85% of people in this society want to drive 150km/h. then THAT should be the rule.

Originally posted by dansmith11

and you dont think its a wild exaggeration to say that people going 50 over are a menace to society and should be fined up to 10k?

the old system wasnt working so changing the fines from 500 dollars to 10,000 is obviously the the next logical step and not in any way an exaggeration?
    If you don't understand the difference between raising an existing fine to a larger fine, and chopping off criminals appendages, you're an idiot.

Also, the people that are typically going 50 over are in fact menaces to society. The problem is that everyone here wants to reserve that right for themselves. Notice how on every "who's a crazy driver?" threads, every single guy going 150 in a lifted truck is a stupid asshole according to you guys? Or the RHD crowd? Or anybody driving a Neon? Or basically anybody that is driving a different car from the one that whomever is posting drives?

Of course there are some people who can drive well at a speed that is higher than everyone else, but it's not much of an exageration to say that a large portion of people going 50 over are in fact assholes. How often do you sit there and watch some nut job following inches from the back of a car because he is "only" going 120? How many people do you see swerving in between cars unsafely so they don't have to slow down?

Overexageration? I think not

Also, you of course ignore the fact that the average fine is only $2000. That's actually not that much of an exageration. The $10,000 is only for repeat offenders and the truly reckless. But that's not important, right?
    Originally posted by dansmith11

and thats all assuming that your even right about the "system not working". if 85% of people are speeding, as others have said, maybe its the system (speed limit) thats wrong. the government is supposed to support and protect the views of the majority. if 85% of people in this society want to drive 150km/h. then THAT should be the rule.
    There is a huge difference between 85% people going 10-30 over the limit on certain roads (Deerfoot for instance) and a small percentage of people going 50 over the limit, or even 30 over on roads where the average person wants to only go maybe 10 over the limit.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

The reality remains is that the current driving situation in southern Ontario (around the GTA specifically) is scary and these laws are a rather sad attempt to curb them. In reality, the GTA likes to pretend that it exists above and beyond the rules of the rest of the country, and as many Torontarians are finding out, that simply isn't the case.

If the Ontario government lowers their "capital punishment" to 30 over a lot of people are going to get nailed. Soccer moms, businessmen, young kids, and old people. It will happen, and what happens it will be very much a pissoff.

But, the real question is, how long before those laws migrate to other provinces if they are shown to be successful and acceptable by the public?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by A790
    But, the real question is, how long before those laws migrate to other provinces if they are shown to be successful and acceptable by the public?
    Ah, and therein lies the rub.....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by A790
    The reality remains is that the current driving situation in southern Ontario (around the GTA specifically) is scary and these laws are a rather sad attempt to curb them. In reality, the GTA likes to pretend that it exists above and beyond the rules of the rest of the country, and as many Torontarians are finding out, that simply isn't the case.

If the Ontario government lowers their "capital punishment" to 30 over a lot of people are going to get nailed. Soccer moms, businessmen, young kids, and old people. It will happen, and what happens it will be very much a pissoff.

It's been proven that if enough people get pissed off all at once, laws get repealed, or at the least they won't be coming to Alberta (see: emissions testing, and even how long it took to ban smoking in bars, which shouldn't have taken even a fraction of the time to be instituted). If they start nailing regular people in cases where the danger is not as clear, as opposed to just wannabe F1 racers going a lot faster than everyone else, it'll be gone soon enough, or won't show up here at all.
    Last edited by Antonito; 11-02-2007 at 11:31 AM.

My Ride
    a tank

10k on 30 over is over the hill,

now days car's are faster and more powerful, a little gas on the padel and you will be easily be over.

I think over 50 is about right as you really have to intentionally go out of your way to hit those number.

but the best punishment isnt the amount of money, too big of a fine I Agree will ruin people's lives.

They should impound the car for the length of time depending on the overspeed they've done.

over 30 = 30 days without car + small fine

over 40 = 3 months without car + medium fine

over 50 = 6 months without car + heft fine 10G

over 70-100= loose car forever.

loosing licences I think is a waste of time, people still manage to get behind a wheel. unless, they impose a law where if your caught driving with a suspened licence they can actually throw you in jail for a year+ since you are danger to public as much as someone driving under influence.

P.S as a joke, if all roads were one lane, I bet no one will race anymore because you cant. Maybe then people will be timing each other and do across city laps. haha
    Last edited by SilverRex; 11-02-2007 at 11:30 AM.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    whatevers at the end of the driveway

Originally posted by SilverRex

now days car's are faster and more powerful, a little gas on the padel and you will be easily be over.

I think over 50 is about right as you really have to intentionally go out of your way to hit those number.

I agree, and to set the record straight the OP in this thread misquoted Fantino anyway. Fantino was quoted in each and every article not saying they needed to go back and change the law at all. He mused that his only regret was not trying for setting the fines at 30k over in the first place. There was no reference to changing the new law what-so-ever.

Originally posted by SilverRex

but the best punishment isnt the amount of money, too big of a fine I Agree will ruin people's lives.

They should impound the car for the length of time depending on the overspeed they've done.

over 30 = 30 days without car + small fine

over 40 = 3 months without car + medium fine

over 50 = 6 months without car + heft fine 10G

over 70-100= loose car forever.

loosing licences I think is a waste of time, people still manage to get behind a wheel. unless, they impose a law where if your caught driving with a suspened licence they can actually throw you in jail for a year+ since you are danger to public as much as someone driving under influence.

P.S as a joke, if all roads were one lane, I bet no one will race anymore because you cant. Maybe then people will be timing each other and do across city laps. haha
    so you're saying Rage2 should never be allowed to drive in his life or own his cars because i guarantee you that he's hit over 200 km/h on the highway at some point in his life. Or are you saying it's only a crime if you get caught? If not, I guess you’re saying Rage2 is a dangerous criminal that has no right to be on the road or own his property. The same could be said for a lot of other people on this board. You’re in agreement with this?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by eljefe

I agree, and to set the record straight the OP in this thread misquoted Fantino anyway. Fantino was quoted in each and every article not saying they needed to go back and change the law at all. He mused that his only regret was not trying for setting the fines at 30k over in the first place. There was no reference to changing the new law what-so-ever.
    Which is why I said if I was wrong feel free to correct me. What I heard was as you said, perhaps they should have set it at 30 over. However, I also THOUGHT I heard him say they still may have to consider looking at lowering it in the future. And this isn't from an article, it was from a live talk radio conversation.

That's all.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    a tank

Originally posted by BigMass

so you're saying Rage2 should never be allowed to drive in his life or own his cars because i guarantee you that he's hit over 200 km/h on the highway at some point in his life. Or are you saying it's only a crime if you get caught? If not, I guess you’re saying Rage2 is a dangerous criminal that has no right to be on the road or own his property. The same could be said for a lot of other people on this board. You’re in agreement with this?
    I would only consider someone dangerous if they dont obey the law, especially.. I mean epecially if you have your licences taken away and you still get behind the wheel.

as far as going 200 k/m, if you get caught, then you pay a price, because you pay a price for breaking the law. sure there are some stupid laws outthere, but the only idea is not really about being unfair to those who happen to be caught, but rather we are trying to stop people who race at high speeds irresponesibily. It is just unfortuante you can never seperate the good and bad altogether. I rather see rage 2 pissed off loosing his car for months then to see my wife killed in a accident as a result of street racing.

You will probablly agree when death comes to your door or family because of this.

I do see there should be a fine line between speeding 200 within city limits and speeding 200 on the high way.
    Last edited by SilverRex; 11-02-2007 at 11:47 AM.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

Originally posted by BigMass

If he is going 200km/hr on the road, then yes, I think he should get hit with the applicable punishment.

Do you think someone should go to jail if they murder someone? How's that for logic?

Also once again you completely overstep reality. Who is saying that Rage should never drive again? Nobody but the voice in your mind that translates what people say into the garbage that you actually hear. There is a big difference between someone getting punished once as a deterent, and someone being banned forever for a lapse in judgement.
    Last edited by Antonito; 11-02-2007 at 11:55 AM.

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

Originally posted by Antonito

Do you think someone should go to jail if they murder someone? How's that for logic?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast