Quantcast
High Octane gas in Calgary? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: High Octane gas in Calgary?

My Ride
    You Crazy

Like Rage said... Mohawk.Husky 94 easily typically allows 2 psi more boost over anything else.

As for mileage..... I can't see how it would change. AT WORST, you might see a 3.5% drop.... but that's not likely since its more volatile and you get better, more complete burn........

The way I see it.... you either have a car that just need premium, in which case, use whatever is cheapest. If its hot rodded and tuned to the max, then you have only one choice, the 94....

For the Original poster.... if its a newer factory Legacy GT.... it doesn't matter what premium you run.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    You're SOL for getting 94 octane from anywhere other than Husky at the moment. When I got the Mazdaspeed 6 that was the first thing I checked. If we were in toronto, montreal or vancouver we'd be able to get 94 from the pump from most stations. Tragically however we're not.
    Yeah, but Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are all very close to sea level.... so there you NEED 94, which to your motor is the same as 91-92 here.

There is method to the oil companies madness.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

toluene and xylene (paint thinner) are great and have been used for years. I use toluene and no ill effects. On 11 gallons or so I add 1-2 gallons of toluene (. Toluene is 114 octane and xylene is 117 octane but also $5 more. Usually toluene runs about $10 and xylene runs $15. Not sure I get it at cost. Just DO NOT use them as a race gas obviously. With my formula it bumps me up to about 96 octane for less than $40 for a full tank.

You can find them at most hardware stores and you can't get anything larger than gallon quantities. At least not here.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by camarooon
    i dont really understand why you guys have to run 91 octane or better unless your running a high compression or an extremely done up forced induction engine.
    do any of you even know the definition of octane?
    Well when you have a tune for 91 octane and a tune for 93 octane....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by camarooon
    i dont really understand why you guys have to run 91 octane or better unless your running a high compression or an extremely done up forced induction engine.
    do any of you even know the definition of octane?
    Out of curiousity, do you consider a manual boost controller on a turbo car to be "an extremely done up forced induction engine"?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Taco

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Where did you see that.. Shell had issues a while back and got exposed, but turned everything around to be one of the best I thought I read recently. Possibly the same time they came out with the top tier.. .
    If you were talking to me it shows in Rage's post years ago that Esso burned at a higher degree than Shell, which I guess made it better

Regardless I still use Shell

My Ride
    S14|TB1

^+ 1 for shell, all i've ever used

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

My observations:

94 gets about 25MPG city vs 30MPG city for 92 (both Husky obviously) when I drive easy and don't hit boost alot (ie winter driving).

When summer driving and hitting boost alot mileage is about the same in the city (~22 MPG) but less timing is being pulled using the 94 so it makes more power and is safer.

This is on a DOHC neon with 9.5:1 compression and a TD05 hybrid S20G but pretty low boost (7 psi)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2