Quantcast
High Octane gas in Calgary? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High Octane gas in Calgary?

My Ride
    1989 325i

Default High Octane gas in Calgary?

So I have been running 94 from Husky almost exclusively since I got my Legacy Turbo

but.....

I am starting to wonder if it is even better than 91 at other pumps because of the Ethanol blend that Husky/Mohawk uses.

Anyone know where to get Hi Octane without ethanol?

Aside form additives.

My Ride
    1.5JZ Supra

Default Re: High Octane gas in Calgary?

Originally posted by swampbuggy
    I am starting to wonder if it is even better than 91 at other pumps because of the Ethanol blend that Husky/Mohawk uses.
    Well, simply put, yes, it is better. I ping on 91, but don't on 94

Not sure if there's anything higher though. There may be some 100 by the race track, but I'm just guessing.

Last edited by Your Mom on 02-30-2010 at 12:30 AM

My Ride
    cars

you can get over 100 "low lead" at SpringBank Airport and I wouldn't run the time.. Other than that Husky 94 is the highest you'll find at the pump..

Side note..

Centex which has kick ass gas prices on 16th Ave across from Chili's, Sears, etc.. can't remember the name of the mall.. Has 92 Octane and usually only a few cents more than regular gas.. Last time I was there I paid 94.9 or something for premium. not bad at all.

My Ride
    1989 325i

Okay, sweet North Hill Mall is really close to me, I might try their 92 and see if I feel it is any different.

I like Husky since it's Canadian but I am not sure how I should feel about ethanol blended gas....... maybe it's just as good which then is even better since apparently it's easier on the environment?

My Ride
    Ram

i knock more on husky 94 than on shell 91

try shell

Originally posted by Sorath
    i knock more on husky 94 than on shell 91

try shell
    husky 94 > anything else in the city
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    Ram

shell burns cleaner....

My Ride
    1989 325i

Is Shell 91 that much better than Petro Can 91? It was Petro 91 that I was running that made me question my choice..... I ran really smooth on it

Originally posted by Sorath
    shell burns cleaner....
    who cares?

Here, I managed to dig this up:

Originally posted by Rage2, way back in the day

Quite a bit... the fuel curve is mapped to 12.2:1 A/F ratio at 7psi all the way to 28psi (set any boost pressure and it'll be the same A/F ratio, however ethanol blends will "lean" out the readings a little bit). Timing is set about 7psi to 20 degrees total timing. There's also a knock sensor which retards timing when knock is determined (the octane determines at which psi it starts to knock). So, my car is a rolling octane tester.

Petro Canada has the worse gas (11psi), Shell and Esso are a bit better (12psi), Mohawk 92 is the best (13psi), and Mohawk 94 was just tested with excellent results (15psi). At about 10whp per psi of boost, it's well worth shopping around for the best gas.

On my SLK, the ECU is set to expect 93 octane fuel. Because it's an OBD2 car, I can read timing advance very easily using an OBDII scanner. Here are the results on similar weather days (except for 94, which was done today at 28C). The higher the number, the cooler the engine runs (lower EGTs), the more power it makes, and the longer your valves last . Results mimic the Porsche boost test. Runs were done in 3rd gear.

VP MS103 - 21-23 degrees
    Mohawk + VPMS103 (~93.5) - 17-20 degrees
    Mohawk 92 - 16-17 degrees
    Esso 92 - 14-16 degrees (After government tests, it's been renamed to 91)
    Shell 91 - 13-15 degrees
    Petro Canada 91 - 11-13 degrees
    Mohawk 94 - 19-22 degrees on a hot day!

If your car is stock, you probably won't see a difference in the different "premium" brands

HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    1989 325i

That's funny. I guess maybe I shouldn't rust my instincts since Petro was the worst and I liked it.

I used to use petro-can exclusively and then my fuel filter convinced me to switch.

I tried using Mohawk all one summer, and I seemed to get some pretty shitty mileage on that 94 blend, not to mention my car actually ran worse than it did on 92.

I've run shell ever since for the past few years and it seems to run fine and seems to keep my expected mileage where it should be on average.

Scientific date = zero
    gut feeling = 100%

My Ride
    A Slow Car

I still don't know where i can get a 94 octane fuel in the N.E.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    something slow

Originally posted by R!zz0
    I still don't know where i can get a 94 octane fuel in the N.E.
    i think the closest place is on 16th ave and edmonton trail? its a mohawk gas station

question:
    so you guys think the 91/92 octane at shell is better than the 94 octane at mohawk/husky? my car recommends 93 octane. would it be okay running the fuel at shell or stick with the 94 at mohawk?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by SilverBoost
    I tried using Mohawk all one summer, and I seemed to get some pretty shitty mileage on that 94 blend, not to mention my car actually ran worse than it did on 92.
    Ethanol blends while great at reducing knock, introduces 2 problems. It messes with your AFR at WOT (unless your car has a WBO2 sensor that can adjust for it), and because it carries less energy than straight gas, you will get worse fuel economy. Because it messes with AFR, even at part throttle and idle it takes some cars a bit of time to adjust (if at all) which is why you're seeing the car run worse.

You should see the cars that are flex fuel, when using E85 (85% ethanol and something like 105 octane) mileage drops about 40% haha. But it can make some serious power, lots of guys are converting track cars to E85 in the states using standalones.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Any more advice rage? I plan on running meth as well, I have a wideband and dsmlink. And this will just be a play car to tool around with. Few trips to the track and back and forth to calgary/edm a few times likely. I know e85 is getting bigger all the time down there, and is used a lot more then on track cars.

And FYI husky is no longer canadian, it's chinese. Or so I've heard, from people in the know.. or think they know anyways..

I found this in a quick search and only skimmed thru it, (It's not the topic I'm investigating right now):

http://www.orwelltoday.com/chinahuskyoil.shtml

this will give leaded gas a whole new meaning
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 01-23-2008 at 07:42 AM.

My Ride
    99' chevy silverado

i dont really understand why you guys have to run 91 octane or better unless your running a high compression or an extremely done up forced induction engine.
    do any of you even know the definition of octane?

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

You're SOL for getting 94 octane from anywhere other than Husky at the moment. When I got the Mazdaspeed 6 that was the first thing I checked. If we were in toronto, montreal or vancouver we'd be able to get 94 from the pump from most stations. Tragically however we're not.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

Originally posted by camarooon
    i dont really understand why you guys have to run 91 octane or better unless your running a high compression or an extremely done up forced induction engine.
    do any of you even know the definition of octane?
    ...yes and yes.

My Ride
    Taco

I always thought Esso was one of the worst, it's surprising to see it passed Shell.

I'm still confused though because if the ethanol leans out at the top of the range then I guess FI should be using Esso premium, right?

Where did you see that.. Shell had issues a while back and got exposed, but turned everything around to be one of the best I thought I read recently. Possibly the same time they came out with the top tier.. .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast