Quantcast
getting married at city hall - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: getting married at city hall

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Default getting married at city hall

Anyone know how to get married at city hall? Can you just show up with a marriage license and find a JP to marry you on the spot? According to the Alberta services website, you have to get a commissioner and they charge something like $200 to marry you. Is there a cheaper way in Calgary?

My Ride
    Highlander

I think that's pretty much the only wait to get it done. Although most marriage commisioners do it at their homes, they are required before they get their licence to have a spot to do small private ceremonies like that.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Melinda
    I think that's pretty much the only wait to get it done. Although most marriage commisioners do it at their homes, they are required before they get their licence to have a spot to do small private ceremonies like that.

my friends tried to get it done downtown but ended up having to go to someones house. gone are the days of getting married by a captain of a boat
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    POS

I can't remember how much it cost's but I think you pay just as much getting someone to come to you. As funny as it sounds you can call around and get quotes.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

When is she due? haha

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by topmade
    I can't remember how much it cost's but I think you pay just as much getting someone to come to you. As funny as it sounds you can call around and get quotes.
    You're right, each commissioner is allowed to set their own rates. Thought $200 is likely the cheapest you'll find. Our commissioner was almost $250, but he was amazing. Even if you dont care much about the hoopla of getting married, invest in a decent commissioner, you will still remember this day for the rest of your lives regardless of details, might as well splurge a little and get someone who really cares about what they're doing.

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

No one's due! At least I don't think so... Just want to get it done legally here because it's a hassle to do it out of country. All I need is a piece of paper cause the real ceremony will follow later.
    It's funny cause I called city hall and NO ONE there knew which department handled marriages or if you can get married at city hall anymore. I'm like, if you don't know, then who does???
    Last edited by sml; 11-05-2007 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

This guy knows romance ladies. Hurry up and grab him before it's too late!!!

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Originally posted by sml
    No one's due! At least I don't think so...

Originally posted by sml
    No one's due! At least I don't think so... Just want to get it done legally here because it's a hassle to do it out of country. All I need is a piece of paper cause the real ceremony will follow later.
    It's funny cause I called city hall and NO ONE there knew which department handled marriages or if you can get married at city hall anymore. I'm like, if you don't know, then who does???

Marriage is a regional contract . Go to the Registeries.

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Originally posted by Mangina
    This guy knows romance ladies. Hurry up and grab him before it's too late!!!
    Not like I care to explain myself on a car forum, but I will do it just to clear my name for people who know me on here. Getting legally married in certain countries (not Canada) have much more requirements than getting married in Canada. For example, if you were to say I want to have my wedding in Fiji, well, you will need to find someone to marry you who you've never met before, you'll also need to do a blood test, and you'll need your marriage certificate translated to English for it to be legal in Canada. Now, if you didn't want to go through all that hassle, you can simply get married legally in Canaday, then fly to wherever you want to get married (unoffically) and have your ceremony there. Now am I still that same guy some of you have judged me based on my cover? All I'm asking for is an answer to my question, not to be judged by my actions, which have merits. (Sounds like something they said in the last Batman movie!)

My Ride
    POS

Originally posted by sml
    Now am I still that same guy some of you have judged me based on my cover?
    Yes, just tell us when she's due dammit!!

j/k Pre-congratuations to your lucky lady and have a happy marriage.
    Last edited by topmade; 11-05-2007 at 10:53 PM.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by sml

Not like I care to explain myself on a car forum, but I will do it just to clear my name for people who know me on here. Getting legally married in certain countries (not Canada) have much more requirements than getting married in Canada. For example, if you were to say I want to have my wedding in Fiji, well, you will need to find someone to marry you who you've never met before, you'll also need to do a blood test, and you'll need your marriage certificate translated to English for it to be legal in Canada. Now, if you didn't want to go through all that hassle, you can simply get married legally in Canaday, then fly to wherever you want to get married (unoffically) and have your ceremony there. Now am I still that same guy some of you have judged me based on my cover? All I'm asking for is an answer to my question, not to be judged by my actions, which have merits. (Sounds like something they said in the last Batman movie!)
    nice try, mr green card scammer

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

Default Re: getting married at city hall

Originally posted by sml
    Anyone know how to get married at city hall? Can you just show up with a marriage license and find a JP to marry you on the spot? According to the Alberta services website, you have to get a commissioner and they charge something like $200 to marry you. Is there a cheaper way in Calgary?
    You'll probably want to call City Hall to book the atrium (it'll probably cost you something).. unless you dont mind random people walking around your event...

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

You don't want city hall, you want the law courts. Like where you pay your traffic fines.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    V167

Default Re: Re: getting married at city hall

Originally posted by izzoblitzo

You'll probably want to call City Hall to book the atrium (it'll probably cost you something).. unless you dont mind random people walking around your event...
    Lawlzzzz, seems like u misunderstood the post hehe

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

My Ride
    2011 Subaru Impreza

Default Re: Re: Re: getting married at city hall

Originally posted by nismodrifter

Lawlzzzz, seems like u misunderstood the post hehe
    haha.. I went and re-read the other posts.. I thought he said he wanted to have his wedding ceramony at City Hall.. haha

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

For anyone who cares, you can no longer get married at city hall. You have to get a marriage license from the registry, then you have to find an authorized marriage commissioner to legally marry you. It takes the whole 15 minutes of paperwork and you can make the least or the most out of it.

Get married at Timmys.