Quantcast
Washing your car in Calgary- how to - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Washing your car in Calgary- how to

Default Washing your car in Calgary- how to

I thought some peple would find this interesting. Its how to use optimum no rinse, a way to legaly wash a car in calgary

here is a link to it

http://detailingbliss.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311

Nice write up Mike

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

Nice, i'll have to give this a try, thx

My Ride

Thanks for info

seems weird how u start with a dry car.... i saw the grit guard bucket at canadian tire for $20...anybody know of a place that sells something similar but cheaper ? (<$10).....

This seems like something i can do in my garage during winters......

recommendations on a place to pick up everything required?
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Originally posted by gmoney82
    seems weird how u start with a dry car.... i saw the grit guard bucket at canadian tire for $20...anybody know of a place that sells something similar but cheaper ? (&lt;$10).....

This seems like something i can do in my garage during winters......
    They have a blue bucket labeled simoniz but made by black magic. It is identical, and I got mine for $10

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    recommendations on a place to pick up everything required?
    ehine would be best. I dont know anywhere thats sells onr other then online.
    The mitt, glove, and drying towels can all be found at CT, but i would say to order them all from eshine, get closer to that free shipping

ohh and onr comes in smaller sizes, i jut go through a gallon everyfew month so 32 oz bottles are to small for me

wow Calgary, you no rinse a lot! I only no rinse once and a while. I try to fully wash my car as much as possible while I can.

My Ride
    a couple of '91 Toyotas, Yamaha

Thanks for the info/link

Originally posted by gmoney82
    seems weird how u start with a dry car....
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty new to detailing but I thought it was weird you wouldn't at least rinse the car off first. How hard is this on the paint/clear coat?

I can vouch for this product, been using it for 4 years on my cars and it works great. I always do it in the comfort of my garage which is handy when it is freezing outside. CalgaryDetail, I noticed you put in a section regarding washing the wheel wells with this product. My first question is how do you dry it afterwards? also do you find the ONR works better then say a degreaser or MPC?

My Ride
    W204

Yikes... This method is going to cause tons and tons and tons of fine swirl marks on your paint and eventually dull it. Taking that mitt and spreading it all over your dirty car is like taking sandpaper to it.

2nd, in the winter time, the UNDER CARRIAGE and the dirt stuck in the nook and crannies of wheel wells and fender are the most important part to wash. This method does not address these. Only a power wash can take that out. All this does is wash the body of the car and the reachable areas of the wheel well. Further, most modern cars has reduced wheel gaps and most areas are hard to access.

I also can't imagine doing this when it's below 5 degrees... Your hands will get very cold.

I think I'll just pay the $3. These days, I just keep my car waxed and I don't even hand/towel dry it anymore, as even that causes fine scratches. The best thing to do is find a car wash close to road with a high speed limit (i.e. close to Deerfoot). After the wash, just drive to dry.

My 2 cents.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

If this is done properly it will not cause fine scratches. I have been doing this for a while as well, and I can say that I have not notices any marring cause by this. I do pretty much the same thing accept I have a second bucket to clean my wash media. I also use about 4 wash mitts and change the water once it is no longer blue.

Yes your hands do get very cold, but you can fill the buckets with warm water, and also get a bucket warmer. I think they aren't too expensive if you get one from princess auto.

Note that I would never do this on a car that is very dirty, only if the finish is fairly clean do I no rinse. I too usually take my car to the car wash for a quick spray down when I don't have time to fully wash it. One other thing, most of the time you cannot get the finish 100% clean and ready for polishing with only a pressure wash alone. Sure a majority of the dirt comes off, but IME it is always a good idea to hand wash the car before doing any sort of work on the paint finish. Yes...No Rinse washing is kind of a crazy concept, but I believe that it has been improved to the point where one can use it on a regular basis without inflicting swirls. The idea of no rinse washing is nothing new. I think it originated around the late 60's ish. Those products were either oily or soapy. The first real product that was safe to use to remove light dirt was called "Trigger Wash", the product is quite similar to the detail sprays that we have today.

Oh ya, you can test out how well a no rinse solution works by mixing it slightly stronger than you would in the bucket. Lightly mist half a panel with this solution and wait about 30 seconds. Take a hose and rise off the section that you sprayed with the no rinse solution. You should find that the no rinse side comes out cleaner than the side that was just hosed down. I am not 100% sure of this, but I think it works because it encapsulates dirt partials inside of lubricants, causing them to slide off the finish when rinsed.

EDIT: when I say rinse I mean flood the finish. Take the nozzle off the hose and just let water run down the paint finish.