Quantcast
Having relative buy new car in the US. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Having relative buy new car in the US.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Makes no difference who imports it, RIV does not discriminate. The people who do discriminate are the dealers, for the most part they will not sell a new one to a Canadian.

My point WAS to cmsjay that there IS NO LAW against Canadians buying cars in America, it would be illegal to have such a law.

I realize if it's on the RIV no one can import it, I realize a lot of 2008's are on the RIV inadmissable list. Good god, does no one read whole threads anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Good god, does no one read whole threads anymore?
    ...nnnope!

My Ride
    BMW E70

I just got my '08 RX350 but I purchased it locally. I didn't realize the difference in CDN VS. US pricing before I picked mine up. Could have just used my US address to purchase.

'08 RX350 Premium Plus package w/ Navi & DVD $45,831 USD
    '08 RX350 Ultra Premium package (Navi & DVD) $65,100 CDN

I checked and double checked, both vehicles are comparable. Both are top of the line with all available options. If your going to buy an RX in the US, make sure you buy one that is made in the Cambridge, ON plant. That way, you won't have to pay duty on it once it crosses the border. The RX's are made in both Japan and Ontario.

^That's a ridculous difference. Even if the car doesn't have warranty, unless you have a lemon, you probably wont have $20k+ in repair bills over the first 4 years.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

My point WAS to cmsjay that there IS NO LAW against Canadians buying cars in America, it would be illegal to have such a law.

I realize if it's on the RIV no one can import it, I realize a lot of 2008's are on the RIV inadmissable list. Good god, does no one read whole threads anymore?
    lol easy there buddy.. I wasnt talking you down or anything just adding info.. haha.. time to stop taking things to seriously silly newbies.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by CMSjay

Where did I say the Car Salesmen were saying anything to customers? I haven't talked to any of the sales guys at all about this issue, all I know is what I've heard from the Manager meeting that was held a couple weeks ago and from my boss the word was that no more dealers in the US would sell new cars to Canadian citizens. I don't know all the details, I don't know whether it just applied to Honda or any of that fun stuff.

All I was saying was that I heard some kind of bill was passed, that was their wording not mine, whether it was the government or just Honda, I have no idea.

That's why I was asking, to help clarify it!

Thanks

Jay
    I know BMW and Subaru will sell new vehicles to Canadians. GM, Toyota, Acura, Honda, Volvo wont.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    Vmax

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
    I just got my '08 RX350 but I purchased it locally. I didn't realize the difference in CDN VS. US pricing before I picked mine up. Could have just used my US address to purchase.

'08 RX350 Premium Plus package w/ Navi & DVD $45,831 USD
    '08 RX350 Ultra Premium package (Navi & DVD) $65,100 CDN

I checked and double checked, both vehicles are comparable. Both are top of the line with all available options. If your going to buy an RX in the US, make sure you buy one that is made in the Cambridge, ON plant. That way, you won't have to pay duty on it once it crosses the border. The RX's are made in both Japan and Ontario.
    I was quoted 40k with out NAV in the US for a 08 RX . If you use a US address you may have to pay state tax depending where you buy it. Arizona charges 1.8% tax for non a resident .

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

Originally posted by dino_martini

I know BMW and Subaru will sell new vehicles to Canadians. GM, Toyota, Acura, Honda, Volvo wont.

pm me with bmw dealers in the US that will do this please....

My Ride
    BMW E70

Originally posted by autosm

I was quoted 40k with out NAV in the US for a 08 RX . If you use a US address you may have to pay state tax depending where you buy it. Arizona charges 1.8% tax for non a resident .
    Even still, works out quite a great deal cheaper. I have property in Arizona I could have used. I really kick myself for not investigating the US pricing before I bought, but oh well... what can you do?

My Ride
    Vmax

Well its not all bad . You might have saved 10k in the end. Some times you get more options up here . We might not be comparing the exact same cars .

The MSRP I was quoted of 45k did not include NAV and the DVD . They would sell it for 40K. I did not tell them I was Canadian . 40k Plus GST , duty and all the other costs .

In the end your resale may be higher than on a US car ?

My point was if you use a AZ address you have to pay full state tax of 7.5% . If you pick it up and drive it to Canada you have to pay 1.8% tax .

My Ride
    BMW E70

Originally posted by autosm
    Well its not all bad . You might have saved 10k in the end. Some times you get more options up here . We might not be comparing the exact same cars .

The MSRP I was quoted of 45k did not include NAV and the DVD . They would sell it for 40K. I did not tell them I was Canadian . 40k Plus GST , duty and all the other costs .

In the end your resale may be higher than on a US car ?

My point was if you use a AZ address you have to pay full state tax of 7.5% . If you pick it up and drive it to Canada you have to pay 1.8% tax .
    Yeah, I know what you mean. When I compared I just took mine (Ultra Premium with 18" wheels) and selected all of the available options in the US to compare. It probably would have only worked out to be a $10,000 difference. Even less if the RX was manufactured in Japan (like mine was).

Thinking about picking up a vehicle here and leaving it at my place in Arizona. Cars are SO cheap here, especially the pre-owned.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Now that the weather is cold I've been hearing about all the little issues that US cars face up here. A lot of the US RX"s seem to be missing spare tires and the tire pressure sensors are going off because of the cold weather and the dealer cant turn the pressure sensor light off since the sensors are calibrated differently. The defrosters also take waayy longer to clear the windshield. Small issues but still a pain when you own a Lexus.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Vmax

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Now that the weather is cold I've been hearing about all the little issues that US cars face up here. A lot of the US RX"s seem to be missing spare tires and the tire pressure sensors are going off because of the cold weather and the dealer cant turn the pressure sensor light off since the sensors are calibrated differently. The defrosters also take waayy longer to clear the windshield. Small issues but still a pain when you own a Lexus.
    I would really be surprised if there was major differences in US /Canadian cars they do get winter down there . They have snow in California and Arizona . The grand canyon is at 0 degrees C the last few days . Don't for get about Alaska.

The limited highlanders sold there all have the HD packages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2