Quantcast
who's an engineer here at beyond.ca - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: who's an engineer here at beyond.ca

My Ride
    Civic

Originally posted by stealth

I'm waiting for someone to get pissed about this, as I have had the argument over and over again.

Power Engineers, are Engineers. That is what the Alberta and Federal Government call them, thus it must be true!

But they will come back saying well APEGGA this, waa, waaa. Fuck APEGGA, I think the Government is higher than APEGGA.

APEGGA and ABSA, have been trying to resolve the issues, and work out some equivalence or some shit, but it has not happened.
    Okay, here we go I think you guys are playing on semanticcs here.

First, Gov't doesn't enforce job titles, they couldn't careless. If your job directly impacts public-interest then the government will regulate it to ensure proper qualification is in place and public interests are protected. This why APEGGA and other agencies exist. Based on your example, the train drivers @ CP or CN are also classified by the government as Locomotive Engineers and they make big bucks too. Do you think they are engineers?? I don't think so and obviously, APEGGA does not recognize them as engineers neither. Another example, Microsoft also calling the guys who passed their exams as Msft Certified Engineers. Do you think they are engineers as well? Probably not. I think the line is blurry since the word "engineer" is overly abused. Maybe the University of Calgary or APEGGA should change the word Engineer in their institution to Janitor or Parking Attendant so that no one will compete with them. How about Parking Attendant Technologist for the SAIT guys...hmmmm..I think they would prefer to be called Technologists and let the Parking Attendant guys be the "real" Parking Attendants.
    Last edited by riceboi; 11-14-2007 at 02:31 AM.

My Ride
    Civic

Originally posted by rony_espana

Well I guess I should mention that my degree is in electronic engineering technology, but my title at work is actually "Network Engineer". And I would also like to add that I was the only "technologist" to apply and I happened to beat out all the electrical engineers from UofC for my job, so like Rat Fink said I am not ashamed about my education.

Also if you look at the wages for both "real" and "fake" engineers, you will see that they are almost identical.
    You're lucky that a highschool dropped out w/ some of network support didn't apply for your position else he would probably get the job and laugh at our post-secondary education. And based on your definition, he would be a network "engineer" as well.

In my opinion, due to ease of entry and lack of workers,IT industry in general is the most screwed up industry in terms of education requirement and job qualification. Because experience counts so much, only in IT industry you would find a highschool dropped out sr. programmer who would make more--alot more than a real engineer in other areas.

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Originally posted by riceboi

You're lucky that a highschool dropped out w/ some of network support didn't apply for your position else he would probably get the job and laugh at our post-secondary education. And based on your definition, he would be a network "engineer" as well.

In my opinion, due to ease of entry and lack of workers,IT industry in general is the most screwed up industry in terms of education requirement and job qualification. Because experience counts so much, only in IT industry you would find a highschool dropped out sr. programmer who would make more--alot more than a real engineer in other areas.
    I strongly doubt that would have happened since there was a minimum education requirement to get in, and its not a (IT) support position but rather an R&D position in designing new products. The minimum was a Bachelors Degree, and as far as I know my degree still reads "Bachelors Degree..." so I was able to apply. A High school drop out would not even have been able to apply.

But on the other hand I know where your going with this, I have several friends who simply have a 3 month CCNA diploma from SAIT and they are making more than me working in O&G. Not that I care, but it is possible in Calgary.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by HillBilly

So lets re-name the thread to "who on beyond is a fucking idiot"

The only people who respect engineers, are engineers. The rest of the world think you are a bunch of fucking retards with calculators.

Anytime I recieve a job from a P.Eng, I get my colouring books out so I can easily explain concepts to him/her.
    hehe I agree somewhat. Being on the manufacturing side of things I deal with a lot of engineer's and tons of botched spec/drawings. Alot of the people i deal with seem really skatter-brained or something.

However, I do personally know a few extremely sorted, brilliant and super sharp engineers.

On the flip side its the same thing with mechanical techs. They are just easier to argue with
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Originally posted by stealth

I'm waiting for someone to get pissed about this, as I have had the argument over and over again.

Power Engineers, are Engineers. That is what the Alberta and Federal Government call them, thus it must be true!

But they will come back saying well APEGGA this, waa, waaa. Fuck APEGGA, I think the Government is higher than APEGGA.

APEGGA and ABSA, have been trying to resolve the issues, and work out some equivalence or some shit, but it has not happened.
    Actually the CCPE (APEGGAs grandfather, if you will), has a trademark on the term "Engineer". So...

Canadian Trademark Law > Government > APEGGA

Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

who else is an engineer here?

how r the interviews conducted? do you have to go though any on-e-spot written papers?

My Ride
    2000 Neon

Written papers for engineers? Ha. Engineers are known for their poor english skills.

The interviews are usually situational; asking how you dealt with certain situations and ways you exceeded expectations. Stuff like that, using specific examples from your past.

I have one an 2.5 hours, wish me luck :p

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

Originally posted by brendankharris

HAHA

Which side are you taking Mangina?!?
    No sides here. I think there aren't very many tech's calling themselves engineers. It's being blown way out of proportion.

If you do work with tech's who call themselves engineers, chances are that you are a really shitty engineer or tech working for a really shitty company. Any reputable firm in this city would not stand for this.

My Ride
    Civic

Originally posted by rony_espana

I strongly doubt that would have happened since there was a minimum education requirement to get in, and its not a (IT) support position but rather an R&D position in designing new products. The minimum was a Bachelors Degree, and as far as I know my degree still reads "Bachelors Degree..." so I was able to apply. A High school drop out would not even have been able to apply.

But on the other hand I know where your going with this, I have several friends who simply have a 3 month CCNA diploma from SAIT and they are making more than me working in O&G. Not that I care, but it is possible in Calgary.
    Fair enough. Do you work for Cisco?? I'll be interested to know the company that you get hired. From what I have seen other than IT jobs -- Elec Engineer from UofC, SAIT grads, Devry grads don't compete in the same job market. The reason is that all 3 have different levels of education training and one would over-qualified or under-qualified for certain positions. It's like a paralegal applying for a Legal Counsel position. The Eng guys from Univ need to earn hours to get P.Eng designation, without a proper job they won't get this. I agree with one of the posters here, if a company (unless it's a IT job) doesn't make distinction between Engineers and Technologists, it's a screwed up company. They can hire a "real" engineer but they won't be able to keep them long.

so for interviews, will they test you on very technical items? with calculation and stuff or just the usual "tell me about yourself" kinda interview?

anyway i think as much prestige as the name"engineers" has, lets not have an issue with who's engineer, who's a technologist, i think thats childish, we're booing one another because of a title? at the end of the day, its the pay and pride you are getting.

are engineers in demand in calgary?

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by kaishen
    so for interviews, will they test you on very technical items? with calculation and stuff or just the usual "tell me about yourself" kinda interview?

anyway i think as much prestige as the name"engineers" has, lets not have an issue with who's engineer, who's a technologist, i think thats childish, we're booing one another because of a title? at the end of the day, its the pay and pride you are getting.

are engineers in demand in calgary?
    \

As I'm sure it was stated in this thread already, Engineers are a dime a dozen.

EDIT: As for the interview... I'm a structural detailer and anytime I've gone for an interview, I would just bring samples of my work and let that do the talking.

My Ride
    91 skyline-sold,97 pathfinder LE, r6

Originally posted by Super_Geo

Not everyone who's an engineer is a douchebag... I don't see how a comment like that makes you any better than the engineers you're bitching about. Thanks for coming out though.

But with an attitude like that... let me guess... you're a drafter?

hahahahahaha,

Civil tech here working construction management in land development

My Ride
    91 skyline-sold,97 pathfinder LE, r6

Originally posted by celicaguy
    ahhh rinny i was wondering when someone would pipe up about the RET's. I am an EET and even though i never refer to myself as an engineer, everytime someone asks what i do, the "technologist" bit at the end of my job description leads to a 20 minutes of questioning on what the makes me different than an engineer. It may have been easier to go to school for 2 more years than to have this conversation all the time.

But i do have a question for everyone in the field, I finished my EET at sait when i was 19, last spring, and honestly it was wayyyy to easy. So i moved to edmonton to take my Instrumentation eng tech.(IIET) at nait and dropped out after a week because nait fucked me around and I found out i really hate edmonton. So I'm just working for a bit and planning to go back to school next year. What do you guys think is the best move on my part, to take my IIET at sait and have the dual, or Do the eng. bridge program and get my degree? I'm so confused, input would be great, I'm not sure what the wage difference would be.

sorry for jacking the thread
    Go back to school, In my line of work (civil eng.)multiple diplomas do next to nothing for you as far as moving up the totem pole goes

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Originally posted by kaishen
    who else is an engineer here?

how r the interviews conducted? do you have to go though any on-e-spot written papers?

Originally posted by krisopotamus
    Written papers for engineers? Ha. Engineers are known for their poor english skills.

The interviews are usually situational; asking how you dealt with certain situations and ways you exceeded expectations. Stuff like that, using specific examples from your past.

I have one an 2.5 hours, wish me luck :p

I've never had a REAL interview where they'd ask such questions, basically, so far, out of the few I've had, they basically asked if I'm familiar with *this n' this* or "have you done this before?", that type of shit.

Then they'd give me the scope of work, what's expected out of a Junior/Senior/Interm., dress code, guidelines, standards etc. Then they ask if you have any questions. Then they'd shoot the shit with you for a few minutes and out you go. Haha.

The only time I had a real interview with questions like "Describe your skills" "Decribe a time blah blah blah" was Fluor Canada, but that was during my time at SAIT, so it was protocol for students looking for work, other than that, they don't ask much.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

Originally posted by Jlude

As I'm sure it was stated in this thread already, Engineers are a dime a dozen.
    Where are you people hearing this? Maybe for new grads with zero experience... but experienced engineers are in tight supply and high demand.

I don't even have my P.Eng yet, but ever since I started doing my own projects I have had a steady stream of calls from head hunters and other companies trying to get me to jump ship... which I'm now in the process of doing. And if you think about it, if companies are trying to pry engineers from existing jobs, that's a sign they're desperate to get people in there.

So yeah, I don't know where all this 'dime a dozen' talk is coming from... companies will bend over backwards for a good engineer.

My Ride
    My sister's car... hehe

well kaishen.. who would have thought such an innocent Q would result in SO much drama!! lol

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7