Quantcast
Resorts of the Canadian Rockies are eliminating man-made parks - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Resorts of the Canadian Rockies are eliminating man-made parks

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Default Resorts of the Canadian Rockies are eliminating man-made parks

Thats right. All the jumps, half-pipes, quarter pipes, tables, gaps, etc will be eliminated due to safety concerns.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

RESORTS OF THE CANADIAN ROCKIES FOCUSES ON TERRAIN PARK SAFETY WITH AN INDUSTRY-LEADING INITIATIVE

Calgary, AB – November 8, 2007 - Resorts of the Canadian Rockies Inc. (RCR) is recognized as an industry leader in providing world-class guest experiences at its mountain resorts throughout Canada. In doing so, RCR believes that safety in its mountain environments is one of its most important values. Supporting this mandate, RCR is moving in a new direction that will enhance safety at all of its resorts.

RCR cares deeply about the well-being of all of its guests and takes responsibility for their care very seriously. “We are undertaking an industry-leading initiative,” says Matt Mosteller, Senior Director of Business Development for Resorts of the Canadian Rockies. “All man-made snow jumps will be eliminated from RCR terrain parks this season.”

“We have found that one of the main issues that increase the likelihood of serious injury on our mountains is big air,” says Mosteller. “When we are making decisions about safety at our resorts, the big jumps in the terrain parks always come into the equation. We decided to make a change.”

Continues Mosteller, “We are committed to providing our guests with a safe experience at our mountains. We realize that this change may disappoint some guests who regularly use these man-made jump features. However, we believe we have a strong moral obligation to not compromise the safety of our guests.”

At the same time, RCR will be making an increased investment in new rails and features for RCR’s terrain parks. For example, this year’s RCR TELUS Park at Lake Louise Mountain Resort features the highest-ever investment in new, state-of-the-art rail features that will cater to a wide variety of ages and abilities. RCR will have rail parks this season at Lake Louise Mountain Resort, Fernie Alpine Resort and Nakiska.

With the new rail park format, RCR will host a Rail Jam Series that will take place at Lake Louise Mountain Resort, Fernie Alpine Resort and Nakiska. Features used in the Rail Jam Series will be suitable for a high level of competition, while also adhering to safe practices.

For the past three seasons, RCR has also worked hard on developing its family-friendly terrain parks. These unique parks, separate from the larger parks, feature small rails, boxes and rollers, encouraging learning, safety and fun in a non-intimidating environment. The feedback on these parks has been positive and they will continue to develop at all of the resorts.
    http://www.skircr.com/mediaCentre/pr_detail.asp?id=479

What a load of shit. Louise was my 'home' hill. I guess I'll have to go somewhere else if I want to ski park. Sunshine?

Send your comments to: [email protected]

Aaaand Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9759026222&ref=mf
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

well i always liked sunshine more, and here is another reason to add to the list

My Ride
    2010 Transition Covert

WOW!! So lame!

Do people really get hurt more often doing big air than rails?? Wtf!? Hypocrisy! I am personally way more weary of rails than airing out. Although the seriousness of possible injury is great, I guess, when you're flying. And they probably have statistics to back it.

Now I am fucking glad Sunshine isn't part of it, and am even more glad that I got the season pass!

My Ride
    my bike

WTF?!?!

Louise used to always have the best park and now they're just going in the other direction completely?

My Ride
    02 RSX

yaa that does Suck... but thanks god sunshine is not part of that list

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by 98type_r
    WTF?!?!

Louise used to always have the best park and now they're just going in the other direction completely?
    2-3 years ago I think Parkasaurus was there (or a similar event). The park was completely revamped for that event and the jumps were HUGE

Last years decrease in park size (and effort) was evident. It sucked, to say the least.

Now, to remove it and replace it with 'increased investment in rails' just doesn't fucking cut it, RCR

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Canmorite

2-3 years ago I think Parkasaurus was there (or a similar event). The park was completely revamped for that event and the jumps were HUGE
    super park!!!

yeah that was crazy, they had that one huge gap with the half pipe in the middle that was sweet

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by ercchry

super park!!!

yeah that was crazy, they had that one huge gap with the half pipe in the middle that was sweet
    Yea, Super Park. I guess RCR doesn't want that kind of exposure anymore...

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

imo, if you take the jump and you kill yourself its your own fault.

we might as well just eliminate everything dangerous.

My Ride
    my bike

Originally posted by CivicTunr
    imo, if you take the jump and you kill yourself its your own fault.

it's just Darwin at work if you eliminate yourself. It's just another case of the few ruining it for the masses.

I was there on a Sunday last season and they closed the one run beside the park for grooming mid afternoon and decided to route everyone through the park I still can't figure out why any bonehead would have decided to do that.

My Ride
    Eclipse

There is a bunch of facebook groups

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6981336578

Here if info on the first protest day

1st Protest November 24th at 12 noon On the saturday of the Mens Downhill in Louise we can attract huge worldwide media attention.
    (note this is not my idea but I thought this is a good way to get the word out)

Get out your pickets and stick them in front of the cameras as much as you can... sure to attract attention.
    And if you haven't already please sign the online petition
    118 confirmed guests

Here is another facebook group as well

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=13587930692
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Titan

I just caught wind of this yesterday and I am depressed to say the least. I've saved alot of money and decided not to work and just ride this season. Rcr has pretty much kicked the snowboard community in the face. I hope all that bought a seasons pass as i did will be asking for refunds and going elsewhere. And lest face it, who the fuck goes to nakiska for anything but the park? Not to mention the fact that rail features there are not worth going for, they will loose a ton of business. please send in your complaints, this is bullshit.

My Ride
    02 HRSE

I can't believe this
    this is just unbelievable.
    Louise always had the best park!
    and You know what kills me, is before you enter the park they have signs warning you that only advanced riders should ski in that area... give me a break.

My Ride
    525it/XC90/V70R

I love how they are marketing their "no man made jumps" as an "Industry Leading Initiative".

The truth of it is simply this: They can't afford the cost of insurance. Their snow cats are falling apart because they don't put any money into there machines, their head mechanic quit, and all their other "mechanics" are 1st year apprentices!

Simply, they can't afford to make the park because they can't afford to maintain it.

I'm so glad I work for Sunshine, better money, better equipment, and bigger budget. Their park gets better and better every year, and even though they are years behind when it comes to park progression, at least they are progressing. Unlike Lake Louise, fir every step forward they take they go two steps back.
    Last edited by sullygully; 11-30-2007 at 10:54 PM.

My Ride
    02 HRSE

its true, Sunshine has a better budget than Lake Louise for the terrain park.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

It's too bad Sunshine sucks balls to ski at.. oh well natural hits are where its at anyways.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

RCR will have rail parks though. But you have to buy a rail pass, so essentially you go to the resort or the main RCR office here in Calgary, pay $5 for a season rail pass, sign a waiver, and they give you a $5 voucher for any RCR food or beverage outlet.

It sucks, but a rail park is better then nothing I guess.

http://www.skilouise.com/the-mountai...park-pass.aspx
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

I love how rails are 'safer' then jumps at RCR. Knocking your teeth out on metal rails is really safe.

I've had worse injuries on rails then jumps. Nutting yourself isn't the nicest thing.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

^^ Thats exactly what I thought when I first heard of this. I havent really hurt myself on a jump since my first years boarding... but rails can be a bitch.

I have a feeling they will have a lot more injuries in an all rail park then one with jumps too.

My Ride
    02 HRSE

how the hell are rail parks safer??
    i don't even comprehend this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast