Quantcast
Obtaining BMW Recall letter for imported car - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Obtaining BMW Recall letter for imported car

My Ride
    '01 Z3M 102K miles

when I imported my '01 Z3M last summer, I just sent in my CarFax Report (that I got from the dealer down there) that showed there were no O/S recalls in with my paperwork and they accepted it!

FYI, I also bought a kit for $35 CDN to do the daytime running lights. BMW wanted $600. Took me 3 hours. If you know what you are doing, it would take less than one.

My Ride
    350z

I just imported a 2007 BMW 328i convertible from the U.S and the BMW dealerships here in Toronto told me I had to pay $500 for a recall letter and then $2500 for the instrument cluster to change it to km/hr, and then another $300 for day light running lamps. Thats almost $3500+! BMW is getting ridiculous.

Luckily I found a shop here in Toronto that gets recall letters from an internal BMW employee for $400 flat fee, his email is [email protected].

I saved paying $3000 to upgrade the stupid clusters/DLR..... BMW wont even give you the letter until you pay for the cluster changes!!

So have the rules changed at all for importing BMW's?
    Last edited by turbotrip; 10-15-2009 at 08:57 PM.

My Ride
    325Xi

Default HELP!!

My BMW is in the port in Vancouver, and the customs wants to see a recall letter before it releases it. Neither BMW Canada nor US are issuing a letter.
    What do you suggest?

My Ride
    has three pedals.

try that BMW guy 2 posts above?

How come you didn't look into that??!? you might have to pay to put it back!

My Ride
    325Xi

Default how come I didn't look into that?

I had asked for a recall letter from BMW NA before, and no problem, got it.
    It's just plain stupid that they don't issue a recall letter, it's the customer's right. Recall and conformity to Canadian regulations are two separate things and it seems BMW has bundled them together for that 500+300 fee, which I'm willing to pay, but they don't let me!

My Ride
    325Xi

Default Correction!

Hi again,

I just talked to Customs Canada. They had initially told me that I need to bring a recall letter, but now they say they can release the car, but I won't be able to register the car. Why did they say they need the recall letter in the first place then? I didn't ask. At least the car doesn't have to go back ;-)

My Ride
    has three pedals.

I'm glad you got it in.

They want you to spend a ridiculous amount of money on changing the cluster to "recouperate" what they potentially lost from your cross border shopping, then release the letter.

You WILL need it to register the car.

My Ride
    325Xi

Default it's not in yet.

The car is not in yet, I'm going to the customs in a few days to do the paperwork.
    The dealership says $300 for the modification for the DRL, and $500! for the letter! He didn't mention the cluster or anything else. It has km/h, and it's been our family car for years.

Speaking of the cluster, did you guys resell these on ebay or something? I mean they've gotta be worth something to a US person.

My Ride
    AW E93

So whats the deal i'm getting mixed up with all the information. RIV requires BMW Canada recall letter ONLY? So if you want to import an 08 335i for example you must change the cluster or can you just get it re-programmed?

Unless they've changed it since July09, you have to buy a new cluster and have it swapped out by BMW or else it's not valid.
    $2500 or something stupid like that.

I think they call it reprogramming. But my dad's car, his old US cluster was given back to him. So it was a swap out.

I just got my BMW through the RIV process at that dealership in Toronto (Unity Automotive).

They charged $375 for the BMW recall letter and it took about 2 days for RIV to email my form 2.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by melrose_place27
    I just got my BMW through the RIV process at that dealership in Toronto (Unity Automotive).

They charged $375 for the BMW recall letter and it took about 2 days for RIV to email my form 2.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
    Why are you so happy to pay $375 for something that was and is supposed to be free?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    //M

http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx

You can get a recall clearance letter now from the BMW dealerships in the US that you buy from. You don't need to get a recall clearance letter from BMW of Canada.

"Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation
    RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:

A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.
    This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication."
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    335i

Friend of mine bought a Corvette recently and went to a local dealership to get the recall letter. They wanted $250. He called a random manager in the U.S. and told them he had just bought a corvette and wanted a recall letter for his records, and it was in his hands in about 10 minutes free of charge.

RIV approved the letter within a day and his car is now fully registered.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

hello everyone,

For those who having trouble getting bmw recall letters for the federal registration, i have the information you need. I'll give you a way out. i can get you the recall letters

email me if you're interested [email protected]

My Ride
    350z

Can't believe BMW Canada is STILL doing this... seems porsche/mercedes are following them as well...

It seems the only LEGIT place that can get your BMW recall letter is Unity Automotive in Toronto. I think they provide it Canada-Wide as well + they deal with RIV directly to release your Form 2... google them up

See eBay feedback here:
    http://forums.ebay.ca/topic/Canadian...2243&start=585

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Friend of mine bought a Corvette recently and went to a local dealership to get the recall letter. They wanted $250. He called a random manager in the U.S. and told them he had just bought a corvette and wanted a recall letter for his records, and it was in his hands in about 10 minutes free of charge.

RIV approved the letter within a day and his car is now fully registered.
    When I bought my C5 I spotted a GM dealership along the trip back. Dropped in, got a recall letter for free.

My Ride
    //M

Before you spend your hard earned money paying someone for a recall letter for importing a BMW, I suggest that you obtain a CARFAX report which will indicate if there are no opened recalls. Fax this to the RIV and they will accept it. Do not bother calling the RIV and asking as they may tell you no, but I guarantee you will receive your vehicle inspection form from them within 24-48 hours after receipt of the CARFAX report by them.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast