Quantcast
Today a Stat Holiday??? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Today a Stat Holiday???

Default Today a Stat Holiday???

Not sure whether this is in the right place or not...

An interesting thought about this years Remembrance Day stat holiday.

In Alberta...if the stat holiday falls on your regular day off (as in this years remembrance day falling on Sunday) then you are NOT entitled to an extra day off, nor 8 hrs of pay.

But in BC you get that stat holiday whether or not the day falls on your normal day off.

It's a little known fact that only the the meanest of employers know about.

We should start a revolt!!

My Ride
    Highlander

Meh, I dont care, I got today off with pay

Originally posted by Melinda
    Meh, I dont care, I got today off with pay
    LOL...then you have a nice Boss!! Hope he doesn't read Beyond.ca!!

My Ride
    Jasons mom

im pretty sure she IS her boss (=

Originally posted by ca18det240sx
    LOL..oh. Well in that case I bet she has a REALLY REALLY nice boss!!

Mine is a real dick. (yes I'm self employed)

doesnt matter because %125 of employees in Alberta are contractors anyways. You work you get paid, you take a day off you dont. Stats mean nothing

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by BigMass
    doesnt matter because %125 of employees in Alberta are contractors anyways. You work you get paid, you take a day off you dont. Stats mean nothing
    Holy Shit, we have more contractors than there are total workers!

Anyhow, I don't think we should get Remembrance day off. Too many people blew it off and doesn't even know the meaning anymore.

thanks for your post, BigMass, but there are 1.9 million "employees" in alberta...so to them I'm sure its something that matters. Most employers are decent enough to pay today's stat...some are not. Just doesn't seem fair.

Some friends of mine all had to work to work today (Large flooring company) and they won't get a "day off with pay" nor the obligitory "time and a half" because the stat fell on a Sunday. We were all talking about why this is the law and thats why I brought it up.

This goes for ANY stat holiday that falls on your regular day off (Christmas, New Years, Victoria Day, any of them). If you work monday to friday and weekends off, and the stat falls on the weekend, your boss doesn't have to give you a day off with pay.
    Last edited by Maddog55; 11-12-2007 at 09:57 PM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Maddog55
    thanks for your post, BigMass, but there are 1.9 million "employees" in alberta...so to them I'm sure its something that matters. Most employers are decent enough to pay today's stat...some are not. Just doesn't seem fair.

Some friends of mine all had to work to work today (Large flooring company) and they won't get a "day off with pay" nor the obligitory "time and a half" because the stat fell on a Sunday. We were all talking about why this is the law and thats why I brought it up.

This goes for ANY stat holiday that falls on your regular day off (Christmas, New Years, Victoria Day, any of them). If you work monday to friday and weekends off, and the stat falls on the weekend, your boss doesn't have to give you a day off with pay.

My company didnt give anything in lieu for today but for Christmas, New Years, they pay it...

This was in Melindas thread

Sunday is a Stat Holiday, not Monday.

Remembrance Day
    This year, Remembrance Day is on Sunday, November 11. Under Alberta's Employment Standards legislation, the following rules apply:

If you normally work Sundays and are given Remembrance Day off, then you are entitled to a regular daily wage.

If you normally work Sundays and work Remembrance Day, then you are entitled to your regular daily wage plus time-and-a-half for all hours worked, or your regular wage for each hour worked on the holiday, plus another regular work day off with pay.

If you normally have Sundays off but you work on Remembrance Day, then you are entitled to pay at a rate of time-and-a-half of your regular wage for all hours worked.

If you normally have Sundays off and do not work on Remembrance Day, then you are not entitled to general holiday pay and are not entitled to an extra day off. However, you may receive general holiday pay or an extra day off if it is a part of your employment contract or a part of a union agreement. Please check with your employer.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 11-12-2007 at 10:02 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

^^ Correct. But in BC, you get the 8 hrs pay (or another day off) regardless.

I wonder why Alberta is so different?

My Ride

For my company i had a choice of monday off with my normal hours of pay, or i coulda take another day off in dec with stat pay.

I had to go to school today and that sucked!!!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    party car

We pre-book our stat for Rememberance day, so everyone, including the bosses had to come in to work today... except for advertising...strange how advertising has the day off..
    I like things with wheels.

My Ride
    Highlander

Haha I do actually have a day job as well as my own company. Sadly though, my own company kept me busy today anyways. I had a shoot this morning and spent the rest of the day post processing and getting it all together for the client, so it wasn't such a day off afterall!

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Cause we're not a bunch of pot smoking hippies like BC But seriously, I do agree with you that we should get paid for remembrance day, it's got more meaning for me then other holidays like Easter & victoria day, and we get those off.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

Because we have a labor shortage and the govenrment is trying to attract workers from other provinces. Clearly offering 2 weeks holidays and unpaid stats are the way to do this.

Self employed people don't get days off with pay.

Originally posted by Eleanor

Cause we're not a bunch of pot smoking hippies like BC But seriously, I do agree with you that we should get paid for remembrance day, it's got more meaning for me then other holidays like Easter & victoria day, and we get those off.
    *sigh*....Umm..ppl. You're not understanding this thread. Remembrance day IS a stat holiday. As long as it falls on your regular work day you DO get paid for it. But..... ANY STAT HOLIDAY....including easter, victoria day, if it falls on your regular day off, then BY ALBERTA LABOUR LAWS, your employer does not have to pay you for it.
    Last edited by Maddog55; 11-13-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Well, there's another twist to holidays. Here is what my company sent around to us.

Are the offices open on Monday, November 12, 2007?

Yes. We are open for business on Monday. For employees, we have elected to transfer the Remembrance Day general holiday to December 26, 2007. We will remind employees about this closer to the Christmas holiday closure.

Isn’t December 26 (Boxing Day) a General Holiday?

Boxing Day is not a general holiday under the Province of Alberta’s Employment Standards Code, which is the employment legislation we follow. We opt to give the Civic Holiday in August instead (which is also not a general holiday either). If we were a federally regulated company and fell under the jurisdiction of the Canada Labour Code, you would be correct that Boxing Day is a general holiday.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

^^ Correct. But in BC, you get the 8 hrs pay (or another day off) regardless.

Maybe because Alberta is not NDP (labour union) driven. In B.C. do you have to be union to work as a residential tile setter or something like that?

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Originally posted by frozenrice

Maybe because Alberta is not NDP (labour union) driven. In B.C. do you have to be union to work as a residential tile setter or something like that?
    That might've been the reason when those laws were originally set up. Although now the unions are a dying breed, even in downtown commercial construction.

I was in the tilesetters union for years, and back then, whole jobs were "union only", but this was commercial work only. We'd be workig on a 5-crane shopping mall site and every single new worker had to produce his union card. Residential hardly saw any union workers.

But today, it's even less so. All construction is "mixed bag". You have union and non-union working on the very same site. A union tile setter makes pretty much the same wage as a non union guy now. They've lost a lot of their "clout" like they had back in the 80's and 90's. Back then all overtime was double-time. Any weekend work was doubletime, regardless if you worked the weekdays before that. Those were good times lol.

I remember in 1990 working in Harrison Hot springs on a Japan-backed high-rise. Base rate was about $27/ hour and with the travel and double-time overtime we were clocking in OVER 180 hours per paycheck!! take-home was over $2500 per cheque. And here we are 17 years later and I still see journeymen working for $25 or so an hour. Shameful lol.