Quantcast
Facebook beacon = big brother? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Facebook beacon = big brother?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Facebook beacon = big brother?

Serious privacy issues here. So much for having control in facebook. This thing is going to broadcast your every move. Now when you buy a book about knitting on Amazon, all your buddies will know about it!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/te...ok-beacon.html

Beware of Facebook's Beacon?
    Last Updated November 14, 2007
    By Jesse Hirsh

The new Facebook advertising system, codenamed Beacon, represents an innovative approach to online marketing, but it also marks an additional step in the ongoing erosion of consumer privacy.

There are two primary aspects of the new Facebook ad system. The first is the expansion of the "friends" concept so that you can be friends (articulated as Fans) of a brand or company. Any company or organization can now establish a profile on Facebook and solicit support from other users. Each time a user adds the company as a friend, their connections are notified that they support that brand.

Companies can buy advertisements to support their new presence on Facebook, and these ads can be targeted by things like geography, gender, age, and any type of info that users have entered into the Facebook database.

The second aspect to this new ad system is the expansion of the Facebook data collection and reporting process beyond the confines of the Facebook platform. This is where the "Beacon" concept comes in — as participating sites will add a few lines of code to their website, acting as extensions of the Facebook surveillance system.

For example, when you engage in consumer activity at a partner website, such as Amazon, eBay, or the New York Times, not only will Facebook record that activity, but your Facebook connections will also be informed of your purchases or actions.

If you buy a book on Amazon, a little bit of code is embedded within that site then sends the data to Facebook and informs your friends that you've bought a particular book. Or say you're surfing the recipe/food site Epicurious and rate or comment on a few recipes, again your Facebook friends will be notified of your culinary interests, as will Facebook itself and their advertising partners.

Thus where Facebook used to be collecting data only within the confines of its own website, it will now extend that ability to harvest data across other websites that it partners with. Some of the companies that have signed on to participate on the advertising side include Coca-Cola, Sony, Verizon, Comcast, Ebay — and the CBC. The initial list of 44 partner websites participating on the data collection side include the New York Times, Blockbuster, Amazon, eBay, LiveJournal, and Epicurious.
    Advertiser's treasure trove

Facebook has a huge database of consumer information and this new system allows advertisers to get at it. Companies that sign up for the plan will be able to target their ads based upon the information Facebook collects. This could start with general categories like age, gender, and geography, but could be further refined down to musical genres, taste in movies, books, magazines, as well as popularity and influence with regard to the number and type of Facebook friends a user has.

The expansion of the data-tracking abilities to other websites will allow Facebook to build even more accurate data profiles of its users. Partner sites like the New York Times will now know even more information about the readers using its website, as its own information will be cross-referenced to Facebook info.

This of course begs the question of whether Facebook users will accept this new aspect of the platform.

For a lot of consumers brand loyalty is an integral part of their identity. To use the New York Times as an example, users expressing loyalty to this brand do so as part of demonstrating their status or intelligence in so far as they're associated with the well-respected news organization. The CBC also has a page in the new system, and already many Canadians have indicated their brand loyalty to the CBC.

Since the system is open, and any company or group can set up a profile to accept fans, many small business and not-for-profits have established a presence and are using the system to build their own community of supporters. While I've not seen many of my own friends supporting large companies like Coca-Cola, I am seeing a lot of activity around the support of smaller companies that people like to champion.

There are, however, clear signs of fatigue with Facebook in general, as well as outrage expressed toward this new system.

Users who were afraid that Facebook was one big scam to collect people's information to sell to advertisers have had their suspicions confirmed. Facebook has also responded by saying there is no way to opt out of this system, although the site will introduce controls that allow you to block the sharing of data with specific individual websites.

In addition to continuing the general erosion of consumer privacy, this advertising platform may even be illegal in New York state. An obscure 100-year-old law states that it is illegal to use a person's name or likeness for the purposes of advertising without the user's express consent and permission. Since the system is already active and uses people's names to say they are fans of a particular brand, Facebook may have run afoul of this law in New York state and could thus face lawsuits.
    Balanced on a knife edge

This may be a crucial point in Facebook's continued growth, as this advertising strategy is at the core of the company's ability to monetize all the data its users have entered into the system.

If people are not alienated and scared away, the potential for revenue is immense. However, this could be the tipping point as the fears around privacy are being substantiated, and it could be enough to drive people to another platform that is not as aggressive at collecting and sharing consumer information with advertisers.

One issue will be the extent to which Facebook secures or claims to have secured people's consent, or whether the users of the site will feel they've been deceived into entering their data before this advertising system was introduced.

Another issue will be how advertisers and brands use the system. If done in a creative and engaging way, the backlash could be minimized. However, another scenario could see the reaction against Facebook also encompassing the prominent brands participating in the system. Thus as fears of diminished privacy rise, the animosity toward Facebook could spread to partners like Amazon and the New York Times that are helping to facilitate the data mining and consumer profiling.

On the other hand, Facebook users may have been numbed into accepting the fact that they have no control, no privacy, and instead are going to be seduced by the way in which this system informs them of their friends' activities.

The power of surveillance is such that we can give up our own privacy as long as we also get to be in the position of the voyeur, spying on our friends and their online activities.

Jesse Hirsh is a broadcaster, researcher and internet consultant based in Toronto. He appears regularly on CBC Newsworld and CBC radio, writes for CBCNews.ca and hosts an interfaith TV show called 3D Dialogue for OMNI/Rogers.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Well, guess its time to delete my profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride

Facebook is what you use it for.

If you're a teeny bopper adding every god dammned application on the planet, you're probalby goign to get suckered into this.

I like facebook's photo hosting and event organizing stuff, and to keep track of long lost friends. It's been a great tool for that, and i hope the market place continues to grow without being overrun by cons.

I think people DO need to reconsider the idea of "privacy". People, i think, incorrectly, associate "privacy" with "anonymity" when they're online. My point of view, is that as of a few years ago, "online" is now essentially an extension of the public place, and you have to be wary of what you do there.

I have no quams against people backlashing against advertising, but i do not believe that people reserve the right to be outraged that someone is sharing their information, that was willingly submitted to a public social networking site. That would similiar to being infuriated that someone called your house after filling out a ballot box for a contest at block buster, or being upset of someone cold called you for dropping your business card into a "win lunch for a week" bucket at restaraunt.

There are a lot of sheep out there and this advertising model is going to exploit the hell out of it. I can't really get mad at it though because I would do the same thing.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Sites like facebook can't continue to offer a free service without using the gold mine they have. Information.

Most large retailers are doing this already. That is why I like paying cash for many things... can't keep track of it.

Originally posted by Crymson
    Facebook is what you use it for.

If you're a teeny bopper adding every god dammned application on the planet, you're probalby goign to get suckered into this.

I like facebook's photo hosting and event organizing stuff, and to keep track of long lost friends. It's been a great tool for that, and i hope the market place continues to grow without being overrun by cons.

I think people DO need to reconsider the idea of "privacy". People, i think, incorrectly, associate "privacy" with "anonymity" when they're online. My point of view, is that as of a few years ago, "online" is now essentially an extension of the public place, and you have to be wary of what you do there.

I have no quams against people backlashing against advertising, but i do not believe that people reserve the right to be outraged that someone is sharing their information, that was willingly submitted to a public social networking site. That would similiar to being infuriated that someone called your house after filling out a ballot box for a contest at block buster, or being upset of someone cold called you for dropping your business card into a "win lunch for a week" bucket at restaraunt.
    Well said.

I'm surprised people are shocked. Nothing in life is free.

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

I don't follow how this exactly works... does it match names or email addresses to your FB account when you're buying something? Would it be simple enough to get around this by changing your email or your name or would Facebook install something on your computer that would identify itself to the partner sites...?

I wonder if they will ever document your pron site visits...the newsfeed server for Facebook would crash hahaha

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai
    I wonder if they will ever document your pron site visits...the newsfeed server for Facebook would crash hahaha
    Are you worried that your gf will find out you like German shize pron?

Originally posted by benyl

Are you worried that your gf will find out you like German shize pron?
    lol, "Honey, whats 'GGG' ?"
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.