Quantcast
Unloading a container PLZ HELP! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Unloading a container PLZ HELP!

Default Unloading a container PLZ HELP!

A couple buddies and I shipping in a container of vehicles from Japan straight to Calgary. Everything is taken care of, but we need to have the container de-stuffed in Calgary when it gets here. We are planning on doing all the paperwork ourselves but apparently we need to have someone else de-stuff the container for us. We don't really want to go through a broker, as we are trying to keep the costs as minimal as possible. Does anyone know of a company that might do this for us? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Suggestions? Comments?

PS: None of us are selling any of these vehicles, they are for our own personal use.

CLARIFICATION: The vehicles are not for sale.
    Last edited by RiceCooker; 11-19-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Are you selling these cars?

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

If the containers are on a trailer, you might be able to hire a flatdeck to unload the cars, if the cars are suspended then I would ask our sponsors on how they would do that.

(If they are suspended, you can always use cutters and hope for the best haha).

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

Default Re: Unloading a container PLZ HELP!

Originally posted by RiceCooker
    We don't really want to go through a broker, as we are trying to keep the costs as minimal as possible.
    This is what a broker does, their expertise makes the importation faster and cheaper than you could doing it yourself. Storage fees at the railyard that you might accumulate from lack of experience could easily exceed what a broker costs.

What kind of vehicles? Cars or pocket bikes.. If it's pocket bikes you get 2 guys with safety vests and hard hats, and you in a dress shirt and hard hat and toss that shit off.. While you're the supervisor to those "workers" you hired.. If there cars, how many can you fit in a seacan.. Most of the seacans I've been around lately you'd only fit 2 cars in.. There must be bigger.. And they must have a procedure they like to follow for getting them out.. Are you planning on driving them away? If not you'd have to have a flat deck there to take them, they're only 6 inches high, so you'd need a little ramp to roll the cars out.. Talk to the guys on here, in the vendor section, they may give you some tips, but could be leery to since you're avoiding their businesses..
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 11-20-2007 at 11:02 AM.

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    What kind of vehicles? Cars or pocket bikes.. If it's pocket bikes you get 2 guys with safety vests and hard hats, and you in a dress shirt and hard hat and toss that shit off.. While you're the supervisor to those "workers" you hired.. If there cars, how many can you fit in a seacan.. Most of the seacans I've been around lately you'd only fit 2 cars in.. There must be bigger.. And they must have a procedure they like to follow for getting them out.. Are you planning on driving them away? If not you'd have to have a flat deck there to take them, they're only 6 inches high, so you'd need a little ramp to roll the cars out.. Talk to the guys on here, in the vendor section, they may give you some tips, but could be leery to since you're avoiding their businesses..
    these "sea cans" youre talking about come in alot of different sizes, 20', 40', 45, and even 53' he could have up to 4 cars in there and if theyre open top, they could have their own flatbeds for more cars on there. ive seen it being that im in Logistics. but i strongly reccomend a broker to do that for you, or its gonna cost you, trust me.

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

The biggest you can get out of Japan is 40', it's illegal to move anything larger there (is what I was told when I was there).

My Ride
    Honda

Originally posted by mx73someday
    The biggest you can get out of Japan is 40', it's illegal to move anything larger there (is what I was told when I was there).
    I don't know if it's illegal, but the largest the ships will carry are the 40foot high cubes. We've never been offered anything else, nor have I seen anything larger on the roads near the port.

We've shipped to Calgary, and the shipper should be the one to figure that out for you. If it comes in by rail, your broker can arrange for this. We've just gone through this and were told this.

My Ride
    changes every year

there are 45' HC as well i get them shipped to me all the time with tires in it and shit like that. it depends on where its coming from for the offer of the 45' HC.

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

My exporter in Japan told me that 45' isn't allowed on the streets or on rail, I guess it's still speculation.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Destuff? Can someone clarify?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1989 Civic SI

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    Destuff? Can someone clarify?

unload....

My Ride
    Honda

No one I know ships in 45foot. We were never offered that in our shippig contract. I've never seen them here in Japan. Maybe other countries have them, but not here. It would be nice to have them, because there are times when we're stuck for space when shipping 3 or 4 vehicles in a container!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by mx73someday
    My exporter in Japan told me that 45' isn't allowed on the streets or on rail, I guess it's still speculation.
    i dont know who tells you that, i get at least 5 or so 45' containers a month. right now im getting one shipped to me from Italy(Alpinestar boots) theres 440 cartons and theyre big and heavy as shit. we need 45' sometimes otherwise it would be way too much money to have them shipped here in a 40' and then an LCL shipment.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

i dont know who tells you that, i get at least 5 or so 45' containers a month. right now im getting one shipped to me from Italy(Alpinestar boots) theres 440 cartons and theyre big and heavy as shit. we need 45' sometimes otherwise it would be way too much money to have them shipped here in a 40' and then an LCL shipment.

Thread Hijack haha

What type of A* boots?

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by Dave P

Thread Hijack haha

What type of A* boots?
    all kinds. i work for Parts Canada importing everything from overseas and the US. and no, i cant sell them to you, sorry :P

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

all kinds. i work for Parts Canada importing everything from overseas and the US. and no, i cant sell them to you, sorry :P

Trade Jobs?

haha

My Ride
    changes every year

haha, really its not all that its cracked up to be, but i love the environment. its just kinda slow for me right now and its boring as hell because of it. look at my post rating on this site, thatll tell ya how busy i am. haha