Quantcast
Clutch break in - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Clutch break in

Dirty_SOHC is offline 0.2 liters away from a good engine
    My Ride
    WRX

Default Clutch break in

How long to break a clutch in. I've pruchased an Exedy cerametalic and it will be going in, in a couple days, but in the instructions there is no note on how to break this clutch in...Any ideas.

Here's a cut and paste

Your Application
    Part No: 15900A $770.00
    Type: Stage Four Ceramic

EXEDY cerametallic clutches are designed to handle the abuse of high power modified engines. EXEDY cerametallic friction material can handle much more slippage than stock type disc assemblies. EXEDY cerametallic clutch discs feature spring center dampers to reduce the impact and shock loads placed on the drive train. This protects the transmission and the entire drive line system. All EXEDY clutch discs are equipped with thin cerametallic friction material (approximately half the thickness of a stock disc). Compared to other discs with thicker friction materials, EXEDY's thinner layer of friction material reduces clutch disc inertia and improves transmission shift efforts and synchronizer durability. As with any cerametallic clutch system, some compromise of startup drivability should be expected as compared to a stock clutch (i.e. chatter on light throttle, low rpm startup). This characteristic is considered generally acceptable in modified performance cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Holy shit, that things a monster...I doubt you will need much breakin on that...thats basicaly a drag clutch
    Travel

My Ride
    2008 CSX Type S, 2008 BMW 335I

It is still a sprung hub disc so you will have to drive nice on it for about 500-750kms before you can do some racing with it. If it was a three puck no sprung hub then there is no break in needed.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
    It is still a sprung hub disc so you will have to drive nice on it for about 500-750kms before you can do some racing with it. If it was a three puck no sprung hub then there is no break in needed.

ah, should have read closer, my mistake, at a glance It looked almost identical to the stage 4 for VW, which is a 4 puck race disc
    Travel

My Ride
    a wrx.

fock...make sure u break it in properly...i think i messed my breakin and now im regretting it.

My Ride
    E90 335i

What's the rule of thumb for a OEM clutch?
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

500-750kms

My Ride

with any clutch break in i always tell customers 750-1000kms because with any act clutch kit they say 500 miles. and usaully stock clutches i would say the same break-in procedure

My Ride
    RX-7/92 toyota pickup

So just don't let the clutch out very hard for that period of time? I thought I heard somewhere not to redline it either, is this true? I need to know because I have a racing beat clutch going in on wednesday and I think my last one wore out becuse I didn't break it in properly. Thanks.

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

Originally posted by ecstasyracer
    So just don't let the clutch out very hard for that period of time? I thought I heard somewhere not to redline it either, is this true? I need to know because I have a racing beat clutch going in on wednesday and I think my last one wore out becuse I didn't break it in properly. Thanks.

you went through that clutch already???

didnt you get that like last year, or was it the year before???
    but remember the guy at the shop said you didnt have to break it in, maybe he was wrong lol

My Ride

Originally posted by ecstasyracer
    You can redline it but you can't give 100% full throttle.

My Ride
    Really FAST Ones

You all should check out a new line by competitioin clutch no break in on many of the models plus most of the good guys from clutch masters left to build this new company lots of new tech.
    Lookin Good is Goin FAST
    "HOME of the AWD DYNO"

My Ride
    firebird

You can redline it or give it full throttle all you want, but when shifting gears you cant do a hard hookup into the next gear. Push the clutch in and let it grab slow.....no hard shifting.

I am about 400 km into my new clutch..... which I bought from Exidy as well.....

And for all you honda guys, they make all the OEM clutches for honda/acura cars so save yourself some coin and buy it through one of their online parts dealers.

I got it from these guys and they are great....great service and even better prices.

www.autopartsworld.com
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802