Quantcast
I got rear ended - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I got rear ended

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic LX-SR

Default I got rear ended

Hey folks...

I am a noob to the site... but it apeals to me, because I am a tech degenerate, and I like to talk Poker, Cars, Electronics and women

Anyhoo to my point

I was rear ended on friday morning on glenmore. I was driving my company dodge caravan, and buddy in a toyota corolla plowed into the back of me. Now glenmore in a parking lot in the morning, so I was stopped.

I waited for the police to come to file a collision report and all that for our insurance company, but about 5 mins after the accident I noticed my neck getting a little tight, then when i was on the phone with police dispatch, she asked me to look under his car for fluid, and I couldnt bend over, so i knew my back was in trouble.

I went to Rockyview, they immediately put me in a neck brace, and on a spine board. They did xrays and my neck was fine, so they took off the brace.
    However, they said I might have a fractured spine.
    So off to CT I go. I get a CT Scan, and it comes back negative for fracture, but I do have compression in my spine.

They give me some percocett, and tell me to take a week off, and do a follow up. I am going to the doctor tomorrow (monday) to get a follow up, and get something to manage the pain, because it fucking hurts... back, neck and shoulders...

Should I seek legal action against the guy??? And how do I go about doing it.

I am 24, and active. I have NEVER had any issues with my back, and quite frankly scares the piss out of me. I play Hockey, Volleyball and baseball in the summer... and dodgeball.... yeah I know

Anyone have some advice, I have never been in an accident before. A couple of the hospital employees have said that I should talk to a lawyer.

have you told your company this and made sure that the companies insurance knows about your injury?

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic LX-SR

yeah. i filed the claim with our insurace late last night, as i was on meds most of sat. i told my boss/company as soon as it happened. they know i was injured.

My Ride
    1989 Civic SI

sue for bodily ( spelling) harm...get you some money for this guy causeing you pain... takes a long time for you to get money out of it ( took me almost a year of fighting) but its worth fighting it since you lost a week of work and were in pain that wasnt your fault...so yeah give a accident lawyer a calll

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic LX-SR

yeah i sent a email off to a injury lawyer... i will wait and see... does anyone know what the avg lawsuit amt is???

I have no clue
    Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant!

shouldnt the guys insurance cover that? thats what i always thought happened (like loss of work wages etc)
    1995 Talon Esi - 1989 Lebarron - 1991 Mr2 Turbo - 1991 Accord - 2005 Corolla - 2005 R6 - 1993 Talon Tsi - 2013 Mustang Coupe - 1997 Grand Prix GTP

You knew it was icy, why weren't you looking in your rearview?

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Originally posted by svtlight
    Why does it matter? Cars behind you should always give you enough space so they don't rear-end your car. Same rule goes for everyone else.

Anyways back to the thread, if you've already filed for claims through his/your insurance, you should pretty much be covered with your medical stuff. It will take some time like what others have pointed out but it should be worth it since everything should be covered by insurance, heck even lawyer fees might be covered too if you claim that.
    Last edited by JordanAndrew; 12-03-2007 at 02:24 AM.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

You know your post is retarded. Why do you post it?

^^^^

haha because hes a fucking troll and thats what trolls do. What difference does it make if he looks in his rearview mirror? He said it was gridlocked whats he gonna do move up and rearend the car in front of him.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

welcome to the club.. i would love to say you will be back to 100% but i am now doubting that it will ever hapen (for me its been since june)

lol you are probably one of those dumb shit heads that rear end ppl come running out with your big f words saying it's the other guys fault.

What else isn't your fault? speeding and getting a ticket for it? oh wait how about when you drink and drive and run over a pedestrian.

My Ride
    SoupRYou

wow you are a dumbass
    sig kinda deleted by moderator, click here for info

Pretty much any personal injury lawyer will give you a free consultation, either over the phone or in person. If you decide to hire them, the typical fee is around 30% of what you get from the insurance company. They don't get paid unless/until you do.

I believe you have 2 years of to file an injury claim so you don't have to be in a big hurry. The main thing is to concentrate on getting the treatment you need to get better. Make sure you document all the treatment you go through and keep track of the pain your in so you can describe it later.

I think either your insurance company or the other drivers insurance company will pay for any medical treatment not covered by Alberta Health, as well as your lost wages. It usually doesn't take long to get this once you submit the paperwork to them. So at least your not out of pocket this money for long.

Usually any negotiations, settlements, legal action for pain and suffering won't or shouldn't happen until you are recovered, since you don't know how long the injury will persist. Your entitled to be compensated for your injury providing the other driver was at fault. How much you get will be determined by the severity, impact, and length of your injury as well as your or your lawyers negotiating skills. Chances are it will be settled out of court, I think the vast majority are.

But yeah I highly recommend you take advantage of a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer. If you decide to hire him or negotiate yourself after that is up to you and might depend on how bad your injury is, how long it lasts, etc. You also might try calling your insurance agent and asking their advice, they deal with this type of shit everyday.

My Ride
    nissan

Default Martin G Schulz and associates

they work edmonton and calgary(i think) , he will make sure you get everything you are entitled to my friend.

about 10 yrs ago same thing happened to me, they took care of my loss of employment, damages to car, and a couple years later i got a fat check for my injuries.

luckily i made a 100% recovery, but this still took over a year.

the most painful thing was brushing my teeth, you know how you lean forward over the sink a little- ouch

here is there info for calgary from yellowpages.ca

Schulz Martin G & Associates
    Address : 303-1550 8 Street SW, Calgary, AB T2R 1K1
    Telephone : 403-245-9000
    Category : Lawyers

If this happened on the job, get the WCB stuff done quickly. They want it within 24 hours and will screw you over if you don't.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

good call about WCB, fill in all the paperwork about this right away. even if it's been longer than 24 hours, fill in at the doctors office the first chance you can. i had other paperwork that i brought down to the wcb office too.

as far as my accident a few years ago, i only sued him b/c he had no insurance. if he's insured the insurance should take care of everything, but the important part is that all the reports that these doctors fill out for you better be good. mine were shit.

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic LX-SR

BTW- Road on glenmore was bare that morning- Shouldnt idiots like you pay more attention... I wonder if this guy was related to you??

Anyway, back to the post-

Thank you for all of your insight. Buddy was unable to provide proof of insurance.

The insurance company's health department is going to contact me.

I had the doctors apointment today, he has me set to come in on Thursday, and prescribed me some muscle relaxants and a anti inflamitory...

The lawyer also called me, I set an apointment for friday afternoon, I will go and see what they say.

I am worried because the guy was unable to produce.

WCB forms have all been filled out- I have heard that WCB will try and screw ya... so I will see what happens...

Does the other persons insurance normally call you directly, or do they contact you through your insurance???

I spoke to my company's insurance company today, and told them what happened.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-20-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Hey Rocky...

I'll give you my scenario when I was involved in an accident.
    Yes your insurance co. (or WCB, either way) will cover lost wages and out of pocket expenses but they will not even mention any type of "pain and suffereing" unless you bring it up. You can do it yourself but its not worth it, even when Lawyers charge you the 30%, they will get you more.

I was offered $2500 for pain and suffereing in mine. I went to a lawyer and got $30 k. All soft tissue damage too. I buggered up the shoulder, was off work for two weeks and about 6 months of "sore shoulder"..couldn't work out, etc etc.

A few tips though: once you've taken this route..dont be a hero and go back to work too early, work through the pain, or pass on any and all perscriptions. Those will all work against you in the settlement.

It will take a long time, but just put it into the lawyers hands and then forget about it. Mine took over two years.

But above all else: PHONE A LAWYER!!! lol..intitial consults are always free.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast