Quantcast
Imports and Beef Exports? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Imports and Beef Exports?

Default Imports and Beef Exports?

Heard this question raised today. Since Japan is refusing to lift the ban on Canadian beef with no reason to do so that isn't political should we (as in the Canadian government) impose tariffs on cars that are BUILT in Japan and sold here?

I agree with this if only the money raised from the extra tax would go directly to the beef industry and not into the hands of the morons in Ottawa. As soon as Japan would lift the ban on Canadian beef we would lift the import tax on Japanese built cars. Seems fair to me.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Obviously this is radical, but if Canada REALLY wanted to show the Japanese they can't be jackasses, Canada should ban ALL Japanese imported goods. Cars, car parts, TVs, cameras, camcorders, Nintendo, Playstation, EVERYTHING.

Of course that won't ever happen, but they'd lift the ban within a week for sure

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    Heard this question raised today. Since Japan is refusing to lift the ban on Canadian beef with no reason to do so that isn't political should we (as in the Canadian government) impose tariffs on cars that are BUILT in Japan and sold here?
    Why are you singling out Japan? there are 30 other countries that haven't re-opened their markets to Canadian beef. And can you blame the Japanese govt for being a little cautious, and complying with the wishes of their people? They had BSE in 2001, so it's understandable that their consumers are a little reluctant to eat beef with BSE. Also, Canada hasn't lifted their ban on Japanese beef since then, so really, why are we bitching?

I agree with this if only the money raised from the extra tax would go directly to the beef industry and not into the hands of the morons in Ottawa. As soon as Japan would lift the ban on Canadian beef we would lift the import tax on Japanese built cars. Seems fair to me.
    With your logic, we should retaliate with every country, and end up imposing tariffs on everything that comes into this country - a great way to improve relations...
    Speed Kills

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by Abom
    Obviously this is radical, but if Canada REALLY wanted to show the Japanese they can't be jackasses, Canada should ban ALL Japanese imported goods. Cars, car parts, TVs, cameras, camcorders, Nintendo, Playstation, EVERYTHING.

Of course that won't ever happen, but they'd lift the ban within a week for sure
    You do realize that we get a hell of a lot more then just electronics and cars from Japan, right? Trying to piss them off and imposing tarrifs on the products we get from them could very well come back to kick us in the face. Give it some time, we dont get a lot of meat from Japan either (very little actually) they may or may not come around but just like what was already said, they aren't the only country to do this

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by spyderman

With your logic, we should retaliate with every country, and end up imposing tariffs on everything that comes into this country - a great way to improve relations...
    I see you are not a fan of American/Canadian trade policies. I only need to look at Softwood lumber, tomatoes, wheat, and PEI blueberries to see that this is the sad reality of how trade occurs.

On another note, we are not as big a trading partner of Japan's as we'd like to think, I'm pretty sure it'll hurt us more than it'll hurt them to piss up that tree.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

Originally posted by B17a

I see you are not a fan of American/Canadian trade policies. I only need to look at Softwood lumber, tomatoes, wheat, and PEI blueberries to see that this is the sad reality of how trade occurs.
    Not when it's against 30 countries.
    Speed Kills

My Ride
    335i

Default Re: Imports and Beef Exports?

Imposing tariffs on Japanese exports as a retaliatory measure would only lead to a trade war that would cripple a small economy such as the one we have in Canada. Unfortunately, we are relatively weak on the international market, which would explain the lack of any action on Canada's behalf in settling softwood lumber disputes with the United States, beef exports with Japan, and other trade disruptions.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Isn't this whole thing about Japanese beef too? We still don't import beef from there... so why should they?

We screw them, they have a chance to screw us more... it is only fair... Our own medicine doesn't seem to taste so good...

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

What we really need is a Prime Minister who will get off his fat do-nothing lazy arse and start talking to the various countries about lifting the bans. Instead he's more interested in his "legacy" and looking after his pals in Ottawa.

Why did the government wait 2 months before releasing the news ?? Why wasn't somebody's ass seriously kicked ??

The government is doing little about the beef problem, and did little about SARS . It's time for a change...
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by fast95pony
    What we really need is a Prime Minister who will get off his fat do-nothing lazy arse and start talking to the various countries about lifting the bans. Instead he's more interested in his "legacy" and looking after his pals in Ottawa.

Why did the government wait 2 months before releasing the news ?? Why wasn't somebody's ass seriously kicked ??

The government is doing little about the beef problem, and did little about SARS . It's time for a change...

you got my vote, I cant stand that guy, How to piss the west off more...by taking a huge export and neglecting it...

other exports from the west come to mind...
    Travel

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by fast95pony
    Why wasn't somebody's ass seriously kicked ??

Viva La Revolution!!!
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

Why are you singling out Japan? there are 30 other countries that haven't re-opened their markets to Canadian beef. And can you blame the Japanese govt for being a little cautious, and complying with the wishes of their people? They had BSE in 2001, so it's understandable that their consumers are a little reluctant to eat beef with BSE. Also, Canada hasn't lifted their ban on Japanese beef since then, so really, why are we bitching?
    Japan will shut down beef imports from the US if the US opens its boarders back up to Canadian beef. So the US will not import our beef until Japan does and if the US isn't importing our beef the industry will not live. Japan, before their BSE in 2001 was the US's largest importer of beef. The people are not afraid of our beef either, as the BSE was discovered and imports were stopped on May 20th the Japanese continued to eat Canadian beef until the supplies ran out. So if they were so scared of beef with BSE why would they continue to eat the 'tainted' supply of beef from Canada? It sounds like they are scared more of their own supply then ours. Our ban on Japanese beef is still in place because of the blatant corruption within their ag. industry concerning BSE and its detection. Japan has had 7 cases of BSE in the past 2 years.

Mexico will not import our beef because the US will not import Mexican beef if it does. Chili will not import our beef because the US will not import beef from Chili if it does. The US will not import our beef because Japan will not import US beef if the US imports Canadian beef. The US, Mexico and Chili are our three greatest importers when it comes to our beef. Japan is holding up this whole process with no apparent reason, as they refuse to listen to the science that has been presented to them. Once the US opens its boarders to Canadian beef 99% of the other countries will follow suit, except for countries like Australia which do not import beef from anywhere that has had a case of BSE.
    Last edited by 5.9 R/T; 07-18-2003 at 12:01 PM.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

The people are not afraid of our beef either, as the BSE was discovered and imports were stopped on May 20th the Japanese continued to eat Canadian beef until the supplies ran out. So if they were so scared of beef with BSE why would they continue to eat the 'tainted' supply of beef from Canada?
    It would be pretty hard to differentiate which beef is which once's it's in the country, since US beef coming into Japan could be Canadian beef too. Plus, do you think store owners are going to through away their supply? Of course not, they'll continue selling it, consumers can't stop that. By stopping the beef from coming in after May 20th is enough to show that they are concerned. Plus, they are asking that US beef be labeled from now on - another sign....

Our ban on Japanese beef is still in place because of the blatant corruption within their ag. industry concerning BSE and its detection. Japan has had 7 cases of BSE in the past 2 years.
    I don't think our system is much better - it doesn't take a month, from the day they noticed symptoms, to determine that a cow has BSE. What if, within that time span, other cows had BSE too, and they were being imported to other countries while testing was being done on the one cow? Would this not be a future concern for other countries? If I were in their place, I would definitely question Canada's practice and lose a bit of faith in it, since we do claim we have one of the best detection systems. So can't the same argument be used?
    Speed Kills

Originally posted by Melinda
    You do realize that we get a hell of a lot more then just electronics and cars from Japan, right? Trying to piss them off and imposing tarrifs on the products we get from them could very well come back to kick us in the face. Give it some time, we dont get a lot of meat from Japan either (very little actually) they may or may not come around but just like what was already said, they aren't the only country to do this

Yep, it wouldn't work in the long run, but it would prove a point none the less.

As for the Japanese not being the only country to do this, that is true. However, the Japanese are the ONLY ones saying they will ban ALL North American beef if the USA opens it's own border to Canadian beef. They are the only country to make this threat to the USA.