Quantcast
New York New York - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New York New York

My Ride
    E90 335i

Default New York New York

Anyone been? I'm thinking about going, what should I see, where should I stay etc. etc. Thanks.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My Ride
    MTA

I live here, what info do you want to know?? Too much too see, how long do you plan to stay?? There's ground zero, statue of liberty, the Metropolitan Museum, the Village, Chinatown, Harlem, Rucker Park... so much. Great food, great clubs, and lots of shopping. Just let me know what you are interested in.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Is there even anything at ground zero now (seriously)? Are they actually rebuilding something, or is there still like a lot of ash and rubble left?

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by K271
    I live here, what info do you want to know?? Too much too see, how long do you plan to stay?? There's ground zero, statue of liberty, the Metropolitan Museum, the Village, Chinatown, Harlem, Rucker Park... so much. Great food, great clubs, and lots of shopping. Just let me know what you are interested in.
    I'll be there for a few days, I want to see all the touristy shit, Ground Zero, Time Square, Rucker and Central Park etc. etc. I also want to see some big city crime (muggings, street gangs etc. ) J/k. Not sure yet how I can cram this all into a few days. Am I better of staying in say Manhattan (big $$ but near everything) or elsewhere and taking transit around? Thanks.

My Ride
    MTA

Better to stay in Manhattan. Look up Hostels - American Youth Hostel don't know the website, but it's the best here or International House. If you stay off Manhattan you'll spend too much time travelling i.e. jersey, queens, Brooklyn, long island. Crime, we'll take you too South Jamaica Queens where 50 Cent grew up. Basically the subway system is so effective here. You can get anywhere with in 30 minutes. There is stuff at Ground Zero, though it's an oversized hole, there is a memorial, and you can see the possible plans for the future building. But it's good to see so you can appreciate the size of the building and the land that the Trade Center sat on... Dam Bin Laden.

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by K271
    Better to stay in Manhattan. Look up Hostels - American Youth Hostel don't know the website, but it's the best here or International House. If you stay off Manhattan you'll spend too much time travelling i.e. jersey, queens, Brooklyn, long island. Crime, we'll take you too South Jamaica Queens where 50 Cent grew up. Basically the subway system is so effective here. You can get anywhere with in 30 minutes. There is stuff at Ground Zero, though it's an oversized hole, there is a memorial, and you can see the possible plans for the future building. But it's good to see so you can appreciate the size of the building and the land that the Trade Center sat on... Dam Bin Laden.
    Thanks man. No hostels for me though, I will be staying at least in some sort of respectable hotel. WHo's the member here with the M3 in Jersey? Maybe he'll let me borrow his car! South Jamaica Queens sounds just peachy! Are there any shows worth catching?

My Ride
    MTA

Alright, some of the Hostels are actually really nice, they are basically hotels with cheaper fares. There's Lion King, Hairspray, Blueman Group, 42nd Street, Chicago, Urinetown... and lots more. Cheapest ticket would probably be $40 american.

My Ride
    2001 Jetta 1.8T

I went in March and stayed at the Mayfair Hotel.

http://www.mayfairnewyork.com/

Older little place but well maintained. I think we paid US$110/night plus taxes. Not too fancy, kinda cozy and from what I could find, that's about the cheapest you are gonna get in Manhattan without going the hostel route. And it was a hell of a lot nicer than the Howard Johnsons @ Penn Station. What a dump.

It's just off broadway, near Times Square. That area is pretty touristy though, so you might get sick of it in a hurry.

If you're going to a broadway show, there's a ticket place right in Times Square that sells same day half price tickets for most shows. The only ones they might not have are the newest/most popular shows that have no trouble seeling out at full price. (i.e. Hairspray)

Now what/where is Rucker Park? Never heard of it before. Did I miss something good?

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

just go to new york new york in las vegas..

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by MrHeavyFoot
    Now what/where is Rucker Park? Never heard of it before. Did I miss something good?
    Cool info, thanks. Rucker Park I think is in Central Park? It's where all the NYC b-ballers go, its the most famous basketball playground around, lots of NBA guys hang out there in the offseason I hear.

rucker park is in harlem so its alittle north of central park but same idea. prolly a good idea to have good friends from manhattan if your gunna hang out there. just tobe safe <winks>

My Ride
    MTA

Hell no, you don't have to have a friend go to Rucker park with you. Just cause it's in Harlem doesn't mean it's unsafe. Rucker park if anything is one of the safest places in NYC. It's the only park open past 1 am in NYC. It's at 145th St. and Martin Luther. A little north try 45 blocks north of central park! It's a long walk from there. If you can stay away from Time Square that would be the best. Hotels there are more expensive just because of location. Goto cheaphotels.com, or just take the time to surf the net for cheap places.

its good advice man dont say hell no, if your going to any city its good advice. south beach goes from the prettiest boobies in world
    to bad news in just a few blocks. is why I said 'just tobe safe' and if this was a pissing contest i would point out its on 155th street but since I know what you meant by the 45 blocks and I know it was just a typo I wont be a cack like that =D

45 blocks is alittle north man=p theres a whole world outside nyc =)