Quantcast
Why have the tech stocks slumped? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Why have the tech stocks slumped?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Why have the tech stocks slumped?

Was it just a correction for the mad growth they had for the past half a year?

Most of my portfolio is in APPL and GOOG and while I'm still up about 100% from when I bought in early 2007, they've really been taking a pummelling lately. I don't really know what I'm doing, I waste my time on Beyond so I don't read the paper...so some insight into what's going on would be nice. I'm mainly investing with long term goals, so while these fluctuations aren't too detrimental, I like to know what's going on.

I would hang on but hedge with some other big US blue chips (GE, 3M, Pfizer, Coke etc).

The US market is overall taking a pretty big beating with the subprime lending fiasco and has dragged a number of fairly decent stocks down with it.

I predict that eventually investors are going to begin to realize the value of the higher yielding blue chip stocks and you will see a return in those sectors while others may continue to slump.

Just my 2 cents.

Global Warming

My Ride
    Lexus RX400h

the energy sector is also taking a beating too

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Fear of a recession, earnings are slowing down, the end of the world coming...
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Bicycle

year end profit taking

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by sputnik
    I would hang on but hedge with some other big US blue chips (GE, 3M, Pfizer, Coke etc).

The US market is overall taking a pretty big beating with the subprime lending fiasco and has dragged a number of fairly decent stocks down with it.

I predict that eventually investors are going to begin to realize the value of the higher yielding blue chip stocks and you will see a return in those sectors while others may continue to slump.

Just my 2 cents.
    What is the link between the subprime market and tech stocks? Can you tell I'm a n00b?

The other company in my portfolio is TD. I'll be hanging onto all three companies, because I really don't see any of them withering away in the foreseeable future...

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    What is the link between the subprime market and tech stocks? Can you tell I'm a n00b?

The other company in my portfolio is TD. I'll be hanging onto all three companies, because I really don't see any of them withering away in the foreseeable future...
    Once the markets in general start to slide blue chips and tech stocks will go with it as people start to take profits.

Don't worry. I am sure they will bounce back.

If you are worried. Cash out and take your profit.

Remember there is no such thing as selling too soon.

a lot of tech stocks are at higher levels now than during the tech bubble in 2000. People just don't learn. I feel the bull market will keep going for a while but when it crashes it's going to hit bigger than in 2000. That's just my prediction

My Ride
    s13, s14, 64 chrysler, 84 f250

people always buy stocks when they hear about them on TV.

I bought XM and Sirius before they had TV comercials, and sold just before they got in the Canadian Market.

Fast money wins. Dont buy blue chip, buy companies that are going somewhere.

Read about William Buffet, but dont listen to what people say he's buying, because when they say that, he's already sold.

My Ride
    Model S

^warren buffet?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by walperstyle

I bought XM and Sirius before they had TV comercials, and sold just before they got in the Canadian Market.

Read about William Buffet, but dont listen to what people say he's buying, because when they say that, he's already sold.
    Warren Buffett is a pretty big proponent of blue chips as far as I can tell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_...tment_approach

My Ride
    Model S

maybe he meant jimmy buffet!

My Ride
    Schwinn 21 speed....

Originally posted by walperstyle

Haha
    http://www.allposters.com/-st/Willia...rs_c22983_.htm

Yeah because we all know how these artists types have the inside track to the market.........

Figure your shit out pal before you start telling people what to do with their money.

Jeff is right Warren is a large supporter of blue chips. Slow and steady wins the race in his eyes.

My Ride
    Schwinn 21 speed....

Heres an interesting video...not that I necessarily agree with whats said still food for thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi4fzvQ6I-o

My Ride
    CS-GA20DE-TT // B5 A4 TT

Sputnik is 100% correct. Alot of tech stocks are taking a beating because of the US lending rates dropping so frantically. the people who stand to loose the most money the quickest are those with money in the bank. Wait for the us to start to level out later into 08 maybe even until 09 before hitting the panic button.

So what ended up happening with your loans... we all know you busted the bank and bought that s2k and undoubtly spent some money on the side... whose advice did you take? what did you tie your loan to?

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by sputnik
    I would hang on but hedge with some other big US blue chips (Pfizer).

Negative, I bought this dog PFE @ $27 back in 2005. (during that whole class action law suit, thinking they'll recover from the hype and rumors)

Originally posted by doublepostwhore
    the people who stand to loose the most money the quickest are those with money in the bank.
    You mean like people who aren't investing and just letting inflation excel faster than rate of interest? But the problem is that I find the markets are so uncertain this past year. And even with real estate supposely in a down turn in the US. Where else to park ur $$$ but the bank?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by doublepostwhore
    So what ended up happening with your loans... we all know you busted the bank and bought that s2k and undoubtly spent some money on the side... whose advice did you take? what did you tie your loan to?
    Some real estate, some stocks, and an s2k is where it all went. I'm trying for an increase to $200k at subprime right now.

My Ride
    CS-GA20DE-TT // B5 A4 TT

Holy. f. Jeff man I hope to god that when, not if, but when you purchase a rental property you dont have to gouge the new tenants to stay afloat.

Tax is going to be rediculous for you.

My Ride
    CS-GA20DE-TT // B5 A4 TT

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Negative, I bought this dog PFE @ $27 back in 2005. (during that whole class action law suit, thinking they'll recover from the hype and rumors)

You mean like people who aren't investing and just letting inflation excel faster than rate of interest? But the problem is that I find the markets are so uncertain this past year. And even with real estate supposely in a down turn in the US. Where else to park ur $$$ but the bank?
    Taking risks, I have sunk ALL the money I have into a real estate property in sask/ and a rental property in the carribean. My brother and I are hoping to see a 8% return over 10 years in sask. and well. The rental is for the ladies
    We sold our condo/house here in calgary. Its no longer cost effective to continue to purchase cnd property, with the exception of those that WILL flourish. hence sask.