Quantcast
shaw utility box - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: shaw utility box

My Ride
    Civic

Default shaw utility box

Hey guys, just a question here, there is a shaw utility box on my property and recently I think shaw run a coaxial cable from that box to my neighbor and that cable is above the ground and visible inside my property. Can I do anything about this? I thought Shaw would have to ask for my permission first before do-ing something like this. Let me know if you know the rules on this.

THanks

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Shaw can't run the cable across your yard. The box is there because there is underground conduit to the nearby houses, and all cables should be run through there. Think about what happens in the summer when you mow your lawn

If there's a cable above ground, either something is really screwed up, or it wasn't shaw you saw
    Definitely give them a call.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    F30

someone might be stealing cablee haha
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

My Ride
    49cc Honda bicycle/89 Accord SE-i/59 Impala/93shaq

call before you dig, not when mowing your lawn.

We had to do this one time, had to ask our neighbours for permission and then Shaw went ahead and did it. They should have to ask for your permission.

After 2-3 years, they finally dug a line.

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

I am a former Shaw cable tech. In rare and severe cases where we believed the customers line underground was severed or poor, we were authorized to run a cable from the box to the house above ground to restore proper services.

That being said, I don't know if its supposed to be marked or not because I never had to do one. But as others said, give them a call, they should have the information on if this was done by a tech or not.

Hope that helps.

I work for Shaw and YES this is a common practice.

If a line is damaged underground, a temporary line is placed above ground until a replacement can be dug under (in the spring).

HOWEVER...... The tech that ran the temp line should have asked for permission before dragging cable all over your property.

Is the pedestal in your front yard or back yard???

We are always required to ask permission..... that being said... if the home owner is not available to talk to.... and the customer has phone service..... we are required to run the line anyways (911 is an esential service).

If the line is bothering you.... I can come and have a look and see if we can move it or re-run it in a more pleasing manor.

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Originally posted by BottleFed
    I we can move it or re-run it in a more pleasing manor.

Yes he wants his neighbors to upgrade their house. Please help.

Unhook it, Cut it at the fence, Coil it up and use it when you need a peice of coax.

Or just ask your neighbor whats up. Then call shaw.
    Last edited by Alterac; 12-09-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Some people here seem to think their entire lot is their property and can do whatever they want with the cable. Depending on your lot, there is usually a utility right of way inside your property where utility companies can do whatever they like (such as dig a large hole, plants be damned). I don't recommend doing anything to the cable or box it originates from.

Going back from my tech support days, this cable drop is standard practice and come spring a permanent line will be buried to replace it. There's not much you can do besides call them and request to have it moved.

Yes, their are legal right of ways, for utility access.

Most run front to back, not side to side.
    So unless the cable was run out the back, then across the alley / lot diveder / etc then the utility right of way does not cover it.

Though you will need to look at this on your legal lot plan (which you should have a copy of if you own the house)

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
    Some people here seem to think their entire lot is their property and can do whatever they want with the cable. Depending on your lot, there is usually a utility right of way inside your property where utility companies can do whatever they like (such as dig a large hole, plants be damned). I don't recommend doing anything to the cable or box it originates from.
    There could be an easement for your property, or your yard could have been built onto the road right of way (which is free game for electrical and telus in BC) because this happens quite often (see 16th ave in Calgary, all those businesses sold that chunk to road right of way about 20 years ago to the city so they could eventually expand it)

Call shaw, and look at your legal plan for your house, you could be SOL

But I know on our side of the business we usually talk to people even if we have legal right to be there because some can be a real PITA and fight it even up to court (where they lose)

My recommendation is to call shaw and just ask them why it is there, if your nice people like me are usually more than happy to take a look at it for you

Originally posted by Alterac
    Yes, their are legal right of ways, for utility access.

Most run front to back, not side to side.
    So unless the cable was run out the back, then across the alley / lot diveder / etc then the utility right of way does not cover it.

Though you will need to look at this on your legal lot plan (which you should have a copy of if you own the house)
    Not really, we need to get from house to house so a utilities ROW will run parallel to the street. We don't usually ask for a ROW into your house, because if you want to bitch about our cable and boxes being their, we can just disconnect you which in turn disconnects your service. We usually get ROW's for plant that feeds someone else off of your property as you could make us take it out and it doesn't affect you.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 01-04-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by alloroc

Yes he wants his neighbors to upgrade their house. Please help.
    I would ask for Wayne Manor, that place is pimp!

thats no big deal. the guy next door needs his telephone, or internet or tv . just for sometime.

i been in newly paved back lanes where theres about 10 wires across the lanes each block been that way for years.

My Ride
    66 Accord

Originally posted by HondaRice