Quantcast
Working out of town - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Working out of town

My Ride
    Skyline Gts-t

Default Working out of town

Has anyone has any experience wokring out of town? Province? Or even out of the country? Heard about working the rigs but cant really find anything on that.
    I really want to experience leaving town for work before i go back to school mainly cuz you make more money and you spend less money aswell.
    Anything you guys are willing to share is appreciated.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

I had a pretty good time working out of town. No distractions out there because small hick town girls are for the most part ugly. It is especially awesome if you get living subsidy - just live in the shittiest hotel you can find (and still stand) and save the rest. I made an extra $70 a day doing that. I was working shutdowns so you go and work 14+ days straight, so you basically just get big bucks in a short amount of time even as a laborer. And is it slaaack work. Project work, not so much, and I wouldn't work on a rig personally.

Shutdowns, the plant is actually shut down so its somewhat safer, you just replace stuff that is already there, they always have way too many guys because lots of them are useless or will disappear after the first paycheck, bla bla bla. It was a good time.

My Ride
    Skyline Gts-t

Originally posted by b_t
    I had a pretty good time working out of town. No distractions out there because small hick town girls are for the most part ugly. It is especially awesome if you get living subsidy - just live in the shittiest hotel you can find (and still stand) and save the rest. I made an extra $70 a day doing that. I was working shutdowns so you go and work 14+ days straight, so you basically just get big bucks in a short amount of time even as a laborer. And is it slaaack work. Project work, not so much, and I wouldn't work on a rig personally.

Shutdowns, the plant is actually shut down so its somewhat safer, you just replace stuff that is already there, they always have way too many guys because lots of them are useless or will disappear after the first paycheck, bla bla bla. It was a good time.
    Wow sounds exactly what im looking for, was the company you worked for called "shutdowns"?
    Do you still have contacts?
    Thanks

My Ride
    1989 Civic SI

rig pigs turn into booozers.....know a bunch of them...give this company named Moko Oil Field just search on yellowpages.ca....they are a rig moving company located in Bonnyville AB( north of Loydminster) they move the rigs its a bunch eayer and less demanding as ruffnecks but it pays nearly the same... and they travel all over alberta/BC/Sask....give them a call and they should be hireing

My Ride
    Miller

Originally posted by jeremyn

Wow sounds exactly what im looking for, was the company you worked for called "shutdowns"?
    Do you still have contacts?
    Thanks

No the company isn't called shutdowns...sorry I laughed when i read that. I know you don't know any better but it is funny. Anyways working on a shutdown is pretty much doing maintenance on an already working plant. They turn everything off and then then replace or repair stuff that is worn out. Hope that helps.

I have worked out of town for the past 2.5 years straight. I love it. Strictly because of the cash. Staying in town, would yield me 60k a year, which isn’t much these days. If I go out of town, I get around 100k-120k a year. My food is all paid for, I am using a company truck 100% of the time (I don’t have to pay for gas, car maint. etc etc), my cell phone is unlimited use and paid for. Those are all tax free treats. I also get tax free live out allowance each day. (Sometimes it can be up to 160 bucks a day...that adds up when you work 25 days out of 30 in a month). Another point is overtime. Since you’re out of town, working shut downs... you work 12 hours a day. I don’t have any temptation to spend money, since I am not at home. Basically save 90% of my income. Another 2 more years, and I will be journeyman, my house will be paid off, and I can finally afford to live in the city without being in ANY debt.

Working out of town is good.

All my friends that refuse to work out of town in an attempt to keep their social life...tend to be the ones that complain that a house cost 500 grand. If you work out of town, you can throw 80 grand a year at the mortgage... makes life quite simple. Why would you want to be a slave to the bank???

Just my 2 cents

removed
    Last edited by zoik; 01-22-2008 at 09:48 PM.