Quantcast
$104,566.63/yr insurance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: $104,566.63/yr insurance

Default $104,566.63/yr insurance

Is Mr Towers on Beyond?

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...c4f954&k=19288

EDMONTON - Barbara Wellensiek knew her son's insurance bill would be steep because of his driving record, but when the renewal notice arrived she was shocked to see the annual premium was $104,566.63.

"I thought it was a typo," the Edmonton woman said Monday. "I didn't panic -- I thought it was a mistake."

When she phoned her insurance broker, Access Insurance Group, she got confirmation that the figure on the notice was accurate, the rate having been hiked from $1,300 per month.

"I just about fainted -- how could this be?"

She calculated that her son, Janson Towers, would have to work full-time all year and earn $55 per hour just to pay his auto insurance premium.

Towers has all the factors going against him that add up to a high premium, even under the new grid system brought in when auto insurance reforms took effect in 2004.

He's 19, and has a "tendency to speed," Wellensiek said.

He got his first car at age 16. His licence was suspended twice. Since May 2005 he has received 10 speeding tickets, and has been in two minor "fender benders" and a rear-ender that totalled his car.

Though the insurance industry has complained that the grid system rewards bad drivers, an insurer could charge even more.

When the details of Towers' driving record were put into the auto insurance rate calculator on the provincial government website, the maximum allowable charge that came out was $122,727.42 per year.

Wellensiek went to another insurance company, Morgex, which quoted her $50,000 for a premium on her son's Nissan 240.

She has chipped in on his premiums before because of his need for a car. He has been playing junior football in Kelowna, taking physiotherapy because of football injuries, working part-time and is about to start attending Okanagan College.

But there's no way the family can afford $50,000.

"If he can't drive, I'm sure he'll accept it. He'll just have to wait until the convictions fall off."

Towers said he's moving permanently to British Columbia and is optimistic he can insure his car there for about the same rate he was paying in Alberta last year. If that doesn't work out, he'll have to ride his bike.

"I'd rather buy a house than pay that ($104,000)," he said.

He's still shocked by the invoice, and says that most of the speeding tickets clocked him going just a few kilometres per hour over the limit.

Alison Gates-Kriston, spokeswoman for Alberta Finance, said there are three factors on the insurance rate grid: number of years of driving, accident claims and convictions.

"Your grid rating is a reflection of your driving record," Gates-Kriston said. "It's the driver's decision as to whether they want to be insured or whether they want to stop driving."

An official with Access Insurance Group, which quoted the $104,566.63 premium, said the company can't comment because of privacy legislation.

Michael Debolt, government affairs manager for the Alberta office of the Insurance Bureau of Canada, was surprised by the amount of the premiums allowed under the grid rules, but said his industry is still opposed to capping rates under the grid system.

"We don't believe in the grid at all -- we believe an individual's insurance premiums should reflect the risk they carry," he said.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

I'm more surprised that his parents were still paying his insurance when it was $1300 a month.

I've heard about someone else paying $100k/yr for insurance before too for writing off 3 cars in two years.

If I was an insurance company, I would probably do the same. I wouldn't set the premiums at a level where I'd be likely to lose money. The quote says it best:

we believe an individual's insurance premiums should reflect the risk they carry

thats hilarious, im glad that fucko is off the streets

My Ride
    impreza

WOW in 3 years he managed:

-10 speeding tickets
    -2 "minor" fender benders
    -1 "rear ender" collision that wrote off his car

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Have fun riding your bike Janson.

My Ride
    del sol

Default wow

wow thats nuts

I understand getting the occasional speeding ticket and an accident is understandable but these convictions are ridiculous.
    Its good to see that hiking insurance rates for inconsiderate drivers will be a major influence in determining whether or not they are allowed to drive.

Now we just need a smilie riding a bike.

My Ride
    NC1

LOL

The son is a moron. Just take away his license! and the mom is an idiot for wanting to share this with the rest of the world.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    04 Rsx-s,07 Frontier, 11 ss/rs

If I was the insurance company, I would have just doubled it.
    The idiot parents would likely still pitch-in...

Originally posted by lint

"I'd rather buy a house than pay that ($104,000)," he said.
    Yes.. because he's so responsible with a car, that he can manage to have his own house!

You forgot to add his two suspensions: "He got his first car at age 16. His licence was suspended twice."

This guy shouldnt be on the road. I bet he thought all the tickets were funny and made him cool. I wouldnt doubt that he thinks the $100k insurance quote is funny as well.

If I were the parent of that child I would be embarassed. They seem to think its funny as well. Why take this to the media so everyone knows your kid is an idiot and a danger to the public?

For the sake of the public, I hope this kid smartens up. I can see this kid driving without insurance if he cant afford it.

Originally posted by mac_82
    WOW in 3 years he managed:

-10 speeding tickets
    -2 "minor" fender benders
    -1 "rear ender" collision that wrote off his car

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Have fun riding your bike Janson.

Originally posted by analbumcover

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

At first I didn't believe it until I put his driving record into our system. Assuming he carries full coverage, the price is correct. PLPD would have only been $87,000!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Wow.... kids like that shouldn't be driving. Damn learn to grow up and control your speeds. And he should pay his own insurance! I believe he's old enough is he not?

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

I don't get it.....with all the shit that guy has on his record he should be lucky to legally get a quote.

I'm sure we're going to here about this idiot rolling off a cliff in BC soon.

Here I thought I was paying to much for insurance.

My Ride
    W204

2 things I got out of this story:

- Spoiled brat.
    - Retarded mother.

"most of the speeding tickets clocked him going just a few kilometres per hour over the limit"

Um.. yeah, ok. And having your license suspended once is already hard to do.. TWICE? When you've only been driving for 3 years?? WTF? If this was my kid, I would've taken away driving priviledges after speeding ticket #2. He can take the fucking bus to get to his appointments or beg his friends for rides.

Fantastic that the insurers are the ones getting this menace off the road. I hope BC insurer/ICBC kicks him in the balls too.
    Last edited by clem24; 12-11-2007 at 11:31 AM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by analbumcover

i've been on the road for 5 years now, and i've yet to get into any accidents and have only had 1 radar speeding ticket. How the hell did he manage to get 10 speeding tickets, 2 "minor" fender benders, and 1 rear end collision. And on top of that, he's had his license suspended twice. He deserves the raise in insurance. Also for bad parenting
    Last edited by jsn; 12-11-2007 at 11:51 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

You, he will probably just drive without insurance... that would only cost him $2K every time he gets caught.

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

I'm surprised his parents didn't just punch him in the face. Mine took away my car after my second fender bender (and I paid my own way to start with).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast