Quantcast
The Hobbit - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

I was somewhat disappointed that they didn't show Smaug at all.

Looks awesome!

But can't help but think of this off the bat.

Last edited by TaiChino; 12-21-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    When lazy let idle.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by RC-Cola
    I don't think they have Smaug footage yet. They only started filming 2-3 months ago.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

I can't wait for this movie. I can't believe it's been 10 years since LOTR

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Won't be seeing this. I've had enough watching people walk in the Lord of the Ring movies.

Plus this trailer doesn't make the movie look very interesting.

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by dj_patm
    Won't be seeing this. I've had enough watching people walk in the Lord of the Ring movies.

Plus this trailer doesn't make the movie look very interesting.
    +1to the nerds it looks FUCKIN AWESOME!

Originally posted by RC-Cola
    Are you one of the new generation that prefer all the money shots spoiled in the trailers?

It's now going to be 3 movies.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ hahaha. I cant wait to see this. I loved the cinematography of the LOTR trilogy.

That was an epic series for sure. I dont mean that in the least geeky way at all.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    SJ9

I wonder how much extra shit they are going to make up for the movie. To be honest with you guys I just wish they'd finish so that the actor for Bilbo can go back to making Sherlock lol

1:22 -> is that santa claus on his sleigh?
    J

My Ride
    93 integra

Can't wait for this!!! 1 movie, 2, 3...7 doesn't matter to me. If it's tolkien's story being put on the big screen I'll watch it.

My Ride
    rally pig

just bumping cause you can start buying Ultra AVX tickets now and the good seats for the 14 and 15 are almost all taken.
    Got some good seats on the 16th and looking forward to this.

Apparently they broken this into 3 movies?

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 2012
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 2013
    The Hobbit: There and Back Again - 2014

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

I just ordered 2 reserved tickets for IMAX in chinook for the 15th. Theatre is more than half full already.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Saw it today. Met every expectation I had of it, and I continuously claim to be one of Beyond's bigger geeks, so that's saying something. Never felt slow to me, good pace, awesome action, and Thorin Oakenshield is played to perfection by Richard Armitage. But Bilbo... Martin Freeman does magic like Ian McKellen does with Gandalf.
    Geek

My Ride
    Bicycle

3hrs of Meh, but I have to say I was never a big LOTR fan.

Can't believe there will be 6 more hr of this.

Actors' performances are great. Gandalf feels very detached in Bilbo's house. This is probably where Ian was complaining about green screens ruin his acting.

But as with all LOTR flicks, if anyone has any logic, movies will be over in 10mins.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-15-2012 at 09:33 PM.

I saw it in 2D (I hate stupid 3D shit) on Saturday afternoon with my wife... the first part of the movie was boring ... but the movie overall was pretty good!

The actors were excellent but the script really sucked!

Spoiler:
    The "new" white orc added nothing to the story other then to stretch it out even longer (more $$$ for Peter I guess...). They should have just kept just the goblin king as the main enemy... they didn't even develop many of the main characters (the Dwarves). I pretty sure the fat one didn't even have a line in the whole 3hrs!

Overall I like the cartoon from the 70s better! I think I'll watch it again tonight!

On a side note... my wife won some tickets from Warners to see it in 3D last Wednesday night but UPS fucked up and then Warners told us the theatre would have our names but they didn't tell us which theatre! Pretty much epic fail all around...

EDIT:
    I've mentioned this before... my wife's a hudge J. R. R. Tolkien nerd so this her review:

A disappointment. The film's script and structure are very weak and the whole thing feels bloated and sloppy in terms of pacing. The ending is abrupt and unsatisfying and there is little emotional payoff.

The decision of the filmmakers to stretch this story out to three films was a poor one. Tolkien's novel does not have the requisite three climaxes to support three films, each of which need to have their own satisfying arcs. The filmmakers know this, and thus have introduced the completely superfluous character of The Pale Orc, whose presence is contrived and tedious, and very, very "Hollywood". I will leave speculations as to the reasons for the three-film decision to others, but I do not think it was made out of love for the source material.

While the three "Rings" films were flawed, both as adaptations of Tolkien's material and as films in their own right, they did have a special magic and each felt substantial and rewarding to watch. In "The Hobbit" that magic is gone. Everything feels rote and by the (Hollywood) book.

In regard to the actors' performances, Freeman as Bilbo was earnest but often relegated to the sidelines and even by the end of the film I did not feel we the audience truly got to know this character. In fact, the film's story often seems like it not told from Bilbo's perspective but from Gandalf's. McKellen, as Gandalf, understandably seems bored and does not convey quite the same warmth and sincerity that he did in "Rings". Armitage as Thorin is appropriately grim but he is given very little do and I never felt indignance at his treatment of Bilbo. The rest of the dwarves remain completely undeveloped, except for Stott as Balin, who has a very likeable screen presence, and Nesbitt as Bofur who is given one good scene in which to shine. Finally, McCoy as Radagast is very likeable, but his scenes feel tacked on, tonally a bit off, and interfere with the film's structure.

I think this would have been a more successful film if the attempt had not been made to tie it to the "Rings" material. While the atmosphere in the film is lighter than in "Rings", the underlying sense of groping for an epic tone is always present and distracting. The need to make the subject matter grander has resulted in additions which do not feel like "The Hobbit" or even like Tolkien. The worst of these, as alluded to above, are the Pale Orc's scenes, which often consist of him evilly delivering monologues to his minions. I am also uncertain why he was depicted as a CGI creature when a real actor in prosthetics would have been so much more effective. Even the character design is bland and video-game like, and bears no resemblance to any of the Orcs depicted in this film or the previous "Rings" films, which by comparison seem so much more real and threatening.

The art and technical teams even seem a bit off in this film. For example, the sets and costumes of the (horribly trite) prologue are very "Dungeons and Dragons" and overdesigned. The cinematography throughout the film was not beautiful. The extreme closeups that were used to such great, intimate effect in "Rings" are gone, presumably because there is little room for 3D and CGI in such shots. Establishing shots seem rare and the audience (and characters) are given little chance to marvel at the scenery as in the "Rings" films.

In summary, this is a disappointing film that may threaten the legacy of the original "Rings" films. I wish the filmmakers had been brave enough (like Bilbo in the book), to remain true to their own convictions (if they indeed still have them) and cast off the Hollywood influence that pervades this film.
    theonering.net
    Last edited by ipeefreely; 12-16-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Saw this in the 3D IMAX w/ 48 FPS and it looked like absolute garbage. The entire film looks like either a soap opera, a live play, or a low budget film on the Space channel. I enjoyed the movie and the scenery, etc. but the FPS makes it look like you're watching the filming live which I personally hated. It all looks like you're watching some sort of unfinished director's cut or something.

If any of you have LCD TV's with that "tru motion" or similar feature that inserts fake frames to up the frame rate, it looks exactly like that. If your at all sensitive to it I suggest you watch it in 2D (I hear that is still 24 FPS but I can't confirm).
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-16-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    If your at all sensitive to it I suggest you watch it in 2D (I hear that is still 24 FPS but I can't confirm).
    Yup, 2D is in 24FPS... looks good... doesn't need any 3D 48FPS magic...

The script could use some magic though....
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast