Quantcast
econ 341 w/ tracey - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: econ 341 w/ tracey

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Default econ 341 w/ tracey

just managed to snag the last spot on peoplesoft...checked out his ratemyprof...ranges from awesome dude to bitter, cranky old man?

how's the course itself, and how is the instruction?

He teaches well, but he can get really bitter sometimes. He yells at students who come in 5 minutes late and can be a bit of a douche when talking to him 1 on 1.

One of the handouts he gave me was very faded and you couldn't read the text. He refused to give me another copy, fucker.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

I've heard decent things about him. From what I understand he's a love/hate kind of prof.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

ace the midterms in 10 mins, walk into final with A+, left with a B. Be prepared to be hurt on the final exam.

his finals are hard.
    and yes, he's a very bitter old man. he loves to have his little pms moments... and he'll yell at the class over the stupidest things
    Originally posted by 5000Audi
    Btw never paid for a massage before.. i own, i mean have a wife

My Ride
    X3

Wow... Tracey's still around? I had him in my first year undergrad, and that was nearly a decade ago. Geez.

I remember him being really boring and crabby. Frankly, I think he is a bit like Ben Stein...

Youtube link

He is extremely bitter but sometimes funny. I am surprised he is still teaching though, the dude is OLD.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by whiskas
    He yells at students who come in 5 minutes late
    uh oh...i am THAT guy

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Tracey's classes are all EASY. It's just too bad that he doesn't teach any of the harder ECON courses..... which I'm sure would be easy too, if only he taught them. Students know this - I've never been in a Tracey class that wasn't full. Econ 341...that's money and banking I believe. All multiple choice, midterms and final! .

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Ahh i remember his course, he screwed us all on the final too, don't expect the final to be nearly as easy as the midterm, midterm is a breeze, you can fly through it, the final is another story tho, requires quite a bit more studying.

He is such a terrific prof but I've gotta say the final for 203 was brutal and to think that it's only a 200-level course. Does any of you know if he curves up the final marks if the class avg is too low? Heck, that course is also "pass final to pass course".

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

When I first started at the U I took Econ 203 from Tracey and he was awesome. He used to bring in his little stereo and blast music for about the first five minutes of class. His reasoning was because the material was boring we might as well have had a little excitement to the day.

I graduated with an Econ degree and I took quite a few options from Tracey. As the years progressed he turned into a happy go lucky prof into a bitter dude. Last class I took with him was Econ 365. Was an easy class but if you did well on the midterm and wanted to leave and you didn't within the first five minutes he got very agitated and glared at you if you left say a minute after the first five were up. Good prof though. If he's teaching a class I would say he's the best option.

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    Tracey's classes are all EASY. It's just too bad that he doesn't teach any of the harder ECON courses..... which I'm sure would be easy too, if only he taught them. Students know this - I've never been in a Tracey class that wasn't full. Econ 341...that's money and banking I believe. All multiple choice, midterms and final! .
    I took Econ 537 from him. He did a good job with that. A friend of mine took it a year later with Serelitis (sp?) and said it was the hardest econ class he's taken.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

I took four classes from Tracey (203/303/341/443) and it was a waste. You learn/retain very little in his classes, and if you're in the honours programme, or plan on going for a graduate degree in economics, I'd avoid him entirely.

My Ride
    00 Neon

Hey, I've also taken lots of classes with Tracey (377, 203, 365, 321, 341). Out of all of them, 341 was probably the most work, because he relied more so on the text book than in other courses. I got an A in all other class, but an A- in 341, the final wasn't so bad, but I studied really hard. I have all my class notes, and I think I have some finals kicking around. (took it w06). PM me if interested.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Originally posted by Impreza
    He is extremely bitter but sometimes funny. I am surprised he is still teaching though, the dude is OLD.
    Apparently he's not even 60 -- and there are plenty of others in econ who are well into their sixties (Eaton, Rowse...)

Tracey once joked about the misperception that his students have about his age in an email that was send around the department...

Herb Emery wrote:

>In our dept's defence, the Nobel game is not easy to pick.
    > ...................
    >For forecasting next year, follow the approach that the Baseball hall of
    >fame uses for selecting its inductees; the best retired player who has not
    >been inducted yet. I believe that given the small number of economics
    >dept's in the US that have faculty who win the economics Nobel, then try to
    >pick the most impressive faculty member over age 60 who has not won the
    >prize at Harvard, Chicago, Princeton or Calgary.

-------------
    Peter Tracey wrote:

Since my students think I am over 60, I should win next year's prize
    based on Herb's criteria.

Peter

great course and great prof. only problem is he a grumpy old bag of bones. yells at students that are late. oh yea and never talk before or after one of the tests. he got so angry at me and my buddy that we thought we were going to fail cuz he put both of our tests at the bottom of the pile to look over. we had identical answers too. lol.

My Ride
    03' B6

i have a textbook for sale for this class if anybody is interested...

My Ride
    00 Neon

hey everyone, gave copies of my econ 341 notes and exams to a dink who was supposed to photocopy them and then meet up to give them back to me. he never gave them back boo.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

he might be in my class...what's he look like?

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by xxjessmicaxx
    hey everyone, gave copies of my econ 341 notes and exams to a dink who was supposed to photocopy them and then meet up to give them back to me. he never gave them back boo.
    wow fucking tool.

i took 321 with him last semester, easiest damn course ever. Learned nothing. I wouldnt take anything important with him, namely 303/359 400/500 level courses because you wont learn anything and will be fucked for the next class.