Quantcast
Should I be worried about my rotors? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Should I be worried about my rotors?

Default Should I be worried about my rotors?

I just threw new rotors on my car, but one of them has all these spots on it, like the brake pad isn't reaching the rotor or something. However, I touched the rotor one day after driving, and it was in fact very hot. The caliper was also replaced on this wheel when the rotor was.

Ideas, suggestions?

Suspect rotor:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

close-up

by comparasin, here is the other new rotor

yes you should, i think whats happening is the caliper is only pressing onto the rotor on the inside. that is why your rotor was hot, but the front of the rotor looks like that. i heard you can fix it by lubing up teh pin of the rotor sometimes, but if not you have to get new pins or whatever.
    thats my best guess......

did you bleed the brakes when you replaced the calipers?
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

Yes, the brakes were bled. The job was done by a shop though, not me. The reason the caliper was replaced was because one of the pistons in the caliper was completely siezed.

What policy do most shops have? Should I go back there and demand they fix it?

My Ride
    11 sec weather van

Looks like the caliper isnt sliding on the spindle/bracket properly. It could be binding from lack of lube, or a build up of deposits.
    Ford tuning guy...

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for such an absurd world.
    Georges Duhamel

joke of the day:
    Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
    There is a replacement for displacement. It's called technology.

well the whole caliper assembly is new, so I don't think it's from deposits. I'll take the wheel off tomorrow and see what i can do.

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    What policy do most shops have? Should I go back there and demand they fix it?

i would. there is nothing much they can say since you had no reason to fiddle with the brakes after they installed them anyways. just say they didnt do the job right and tell them to do it properly. can you fell it? usually if only the inside of the caliper is pressing onto the rotor you can feel somewhat of a pulse....
    either way, have them take a look at it.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by dj_honda
    that is why your rotor was hot
    Well if you just finish driving your car, ur rotors will be hot, no matter what. Go drive around the block, get out, and touch your rotors.

My Ride
    11 sec weather van

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    well the whole caliper assembly is new, so I don't think it's from deposits. I'll take the wheel off tomorrow and see what i can do.
    Its not the caliper that i was talking about, but what the caliper slides on.
    Take it back to the guys who did your brakes.
    Ford tuning guy...

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for such an absurd world.
    Georges Duhamel

joke of the day:
    Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
    There is a replacement for displacement. It's called technology.

Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

Its not the caliper that i was talking about, but what the caliper slides on.
    Take it back to the guys who did your brakes.
    Its a fixed caliper design, dual piston. Since the whole assembly is new, its probably cause it was improperly installed. That or the lines aren't providing enough pressure to just that piston... but I don't see how that's possible.

My Ride
    Mach-e GT, Cayenne, 944s

Try re-bleeding the brake system... that may help if it wans't bled properly in the first place.

Heheh I think everyone touches a hot rotor once.

I took it back in, it took them all day to look at it and they said that nothing was wrong with it, and the stuff would be glazed off in time. Sure buddy, the rotors already have ~100 km on them and the spots have been there since the beginning. There's no way those rust spots would stay on, that shit rubs off if you just drive around the block. He couldn't seem to explain why one rotor looked perfect

I'm taking it in to the dealership tomorrow, should have gone there in the first place