Quantcast
Teen charged trying to race unmarked cop car AND 85yr old charged w. street-racing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teen charged trying to race unmarked cop car AND 85yr old charged w. street-racing

Default Teen charged trying to race unmarked cop car AND 85yr old charged w. street-racing

The kid should have tried to race the old man instead.

Teen charged after trying to race unmarked cop car

'He was playing tough guy until he got stopped. Then he cried until his parents got there,' OPP's Cam Woolley says of 18-year-old driver

Jan 04, 2008 06:17 PM
    AMY FULLER
    STAFF REPORTER

An 18-year-old driving his parents’ new car on the highway near Windsor today tried to race an unmarked police car this morning, reaching 160 km/h before he was arrested.

Sgt. Cam Woolley of the OPP said the detachment commander with Chatham-Kent OPP was driving toward Windsor in an unmarked Chevrolet Impala with tinted windows when a young man pulled up alongside him in a Chrysler 300. The driver tried repeatedly to get the uniformed officer to race, not allowing him to pass and travelling at higher and higher speeds.

When the Chrysler’s speed reached 160 km/h, the officer stopped the young motorist out of concern for safety.

“The officer didn’t want to go higher,” Woolley said. “He felt the young man would have kept increasing in speed.”

The young man is a beginner driver at the second stage of the graduated licensing program, with a G2 class license.

Woolley said, “He was playing tough guy until he got stopped. Then he cried until his parents got there.”

The young man’s licence has been suspended and the car impounded for a week. The minimum penalty for street racing is a $2,000 fine.

The officer’s unmarked Chevrolet Impala does not look like a police car and is used to hunt for aggressive drivers.

The incident occurred just days after an 85-year-old Thornhill man was charged under street racing legislation which came into effect on Sept. 30. Police say the elderly motorist was driving at 161 km/h. He is the oldest person charged under the new legislation.
    No sign of slowing down: Ont. man, 85, sets street-racing record
    Last Updated: Thursday, January 3, 2008 | 2:16 PM ET
    CBC News
    An 85-year-old man has sped into the record books as the oldest person charged under Ontario's street-racing legislation.

An officer on patrol north of Toronto spotted an Oldsmobile Intrigue zipping through the eastbound lanes of Highway 407 on Wednesday morning, Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Cam Woolley told CBCNews.ca on Thursday.

She tried to catch up to the vehicle in her fully marked cruiser and "make herself obvious" by signalling to the driver, Woolley said.

But the driver didn't seem to notice her, and picked up speed as he cut across lanes. By the time the car reached Keele Street, it was clocked at 161 kilometres an hour, Woolley said.

He said wet, icy roads made the roads even more dangerous.

The officer got caught behind traffic, but eventually pulled the 85-year-old Thornhill man over.

My Ride
    Rust bucketz

The old man story is so stupid..who was he racing? himself? like wow....

My Ride
    MB C63

so the cop raced the kid all the way up to 160km then pulled him over? wtf

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Originally posted by djayz
    Maybe he was giving him a chance to slow down... but he was obviously not going to, so once he hit 160, he pulled him over.

lol @ old man.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by SR240SX
    The old man story is so stupid..who was he racing? himself? like wow....
    Against TIME, maybe he saw the reaper.

Guess we should do some research on Ontario traffic safety act for the upcoming $2,000 traffic ticket thread.

So why isn't this vehicle crushed under that new no-racing law? Cuz it's not an import or riced out?

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Against TIME, maybe he saw the reaper.

Guess we should do some research on Ontario traffic safety act for the upcoming $2,000 traffic ticket thread.

So why isn't this vehicle crushed under that new no-racing law? Cuz it's not an import or riced out?
    because thats only for repeat offenders you need to be caught a few times first... and in australia i do believe... correct me if im wrong.

I want to know what the old guy was driving!

My Ride
    Rust bucketz

Originally posted by rmk
    I want to know what the old guy was driving!
    Reading owns you....

"An officer on patrol north of Toronto spotted an Oldsmobile Intrigue zipping through the eastbound lanes"

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Isn't the teens story entrapment??
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Rust bucketz

^^ I dont see how that would work..unless the officer egged the kid on to race..then pulled him over?

The only reason the cop waited till the kid was doing 160 is because that's 50 over and a $10K fine in Ontario isn't it?
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Originally posted by djayz
    My question exactly... Someone care to explain how that is not entrapment? The officer in my opinion should have pulled him over the second he started to attempt to "race". Instead they go on a wild ride on the highways endangering everyone for what reason? So the officer can give him a higher speeding ticket as well?

'He was playing tough guy until he got stopped. Then he cried until his parents got there,' OPP's Cam Woolley says of 18-year-old driver
    That is a pretty outstanding comment to make... You would think the officer would have the decency to shut up do his job instead of demeaning the kid to the press.

The last charge is the silliest of them all. How exaclty was gramps street racing? So now street racing is going X km/h over the limit?

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Originally posted by boredengineer

My question exactly... Someone care to explain how that is not entrapment? The officer in my opinion should have pulled him over the second he started to attempt to "race". Instead they go on a wild ride on the highways endangering everyone for what reason? So the officer can give him a higher speeding ticket as well?

That is a pretty outstanding comment to make... You would think the officer would have the decency to shut up do his job instead of demeaning the kid to the press.

The last charge is the silliest of them all. How exaclty was gramps street racing? So now street racing is going X km/h over the limit?
    You cant really "attempt to race someone"... basically thats just accelerating quickly.... the officer probably assessed the situation, it was on the highway, maybe no one was around, and for all we know, they were going 120... so the kid jumped hit the gas, by the time officer hit the lights, and he noticed, he was going 160? Who knows, maybe he waited to give him a higher fine....

As for the comment, I think they just wanted to make a point about people acting tough, and "street racers" arent these cool guys.

Ontario's rules are different then ours... and the old guy wasnt just speeding in a straight line, it states he "cut through lanes" almost as if he was zig zagging through traffic.... ... maybe he was on his way to a date before his pills wore off?

My Ride
    BMW E46 LSB ///M3

85 fucking years old and him gunning his Oldsmobile Intrigue at 160+ km is one scary thought, thats soooo fucking old i don't even understand how he kept it together esspecially if it was wet and icey.

lol the 2 should have raced each other

My Ride
    eats gas like no other

+1

My Ride
    my bike

+2

My guess is they were waiting until he was into the 50+ over the limit so they could charge him with street racing.

i had no idea zipping through traffic and cutting lanes are considered street racing
    guess i've been doing it everyday

either the articles were poorly worded/quoted etc. or they're using this new law too often

The officer merely provided the youth an opportunity to commit an offense. For it to be considered entrapment the police must have induced the offense. The officer did not make him do it, only gave him the opportunity to do so.

As for not stopping him the minute he broke the law, there is nothin wrong with this. If an officer watched a robber break a window of an electronics store, he would probably wait for him to grab a tv or enter the store so its not just mischief or vandalism.
    Just because the police don't stop the crime immediately doesn't make it entrapment either.
    Last edited by tom_9109; 01-05-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Originally posted by dragonone
    i had no idea zipping through traffic and cutting lanes are considered street racing
    guess i've been doing it everyday

either the articles were poorly worded/quoted etc. or they're using this new law too often
    I'm pretty sure the Ontario law is simply "50 over or more = street racing", regardless of what's going on

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by tom_9109

The officer merely provided the youth an opportunity to commit an offense. For it to be considered entrapment the police must have induced the offense. The officer did not make him do it, only gave him the opportunity to do so.

As for not stopping him the minute he broke the law, there is nothin wrong with this. If an officer watched a robber break a window of an electronics store, he would probably wait for him to grab a tv or enter the store so its not just mischief or vandalism.
    Just because the police don't stop the crime immediately doesn't make it entrapment either.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast