Quantcast
"Biggest Loser" Experiment - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: "Biggest Loser" Experiment

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

Default "Biggest Loser" Experiment

I remember seeing a thread a while back throwing around the idea of doing a "Biggest Loser" on here. I guess since everyone's in full swing we could do a miniature version of something like that. Just for fun of course, and to learn from other peoples routines, diets etc. See which routines work for who and get more ideas of diet, training etc etc

I'm goin to do a 4 week run consisting of a revamped diet and training regimen that has started today. You guys can do the same and start whenever if you'd like and I was thinking we could all post results somewhere in the start of Feb.

Or if we want, we could all start next monday on the 14th and run till Valentines day. Suggestions or feedback on the "start days" are welcome or everyone can just start whenever.

Alright, now on to what I'm doing...

First off diet.

Eating 5 smaller meals a day consisting of a pretty basic and easy to follow diet.

Removing or Moderating:
    Sugary drinks or foods: Absolutely no chocolate bars, high sugar protein bars or fruit juice (fruit juice, even natural and not from concentrate has a tonne of sugar. They are good natural sugars but still way more than I need)

Starchy carbs: Minimal potato intake, bread intake (only whole grain and flax), whole wheat wraps whenever possible if I WANT bread. For cereal it'll basically be a small serving of Vector (still high sugar content) or museli

Fat where possible: Watch fat intake. That means no deep fried food (obviously), skim milk, and only good fats (small portions of natural peanut butter, flax seed, fish oil etc)

Foods that I have no clue what's in them: This is pretty simple. Anything that I may question (weird barbeque at restaurants for example) I'm going to stay away from. Unless it's clear that it's good for me, I'm going to pass.

High fat/sodium/sugar sauces: Explains itself... no heavy gravy, basically only italian dressing (low sodium), and calorie controlled low fat mayo if I'm desperate.

Keeping:
    Lean meats: Poultry, fish and the occasional top sirloin if I want one.

Veggies: with the exception of excessive potato intake or yam intake.

Fruit: I'll still eat fruit, but in moderation. I need the vitamins and the sugars for energy... but will be much more "fuel efficient". The occasional smoothie with low fat yogurt will probably happen

Protein Powder: If I keep using my protein, I'll be on a low carb, low fat Iso Whey like the BioX brand. Very good tasting and only with skim milk.

Creatine: MIGHT go and do a small creatine cycle to try and build some more lean muscle. MIGHT... lol

Steroids:... just kidding I'm fucking terrified of needles

Breads: As mentioned above, only flax seed bread once in a while and whole wheat wraps/pitas. Small portions of cereal and only low sugar cereal. Instant plain oatmeal may be a possibility as well.

Tea: Green tea as often as possible... I may sneak in a little bit of honey and lemon because that's how I love my green tea.

Water: Lots... nuff said.

Now on to the routine...

Each day will start with 30 minutes of mid-high to high intensity cardio whether it be elliptical or rowing machine. May end with 15 minutes of a mid intensity cardio depending on time of day or how tired I am (school might kick my ass and make me leave early)

Monday - Chest and Tri's
    Tuesday - Core and Conditioning (more cardio)
    Wednesday - Back and Bi's
    Thursday - More Core and Conditioning (these days fucking suck)
    Friday - Shoulders
    Saturday - Very light easy day with an exercise or two of each muscle group consisting of one set per group at about 50% 1RM

The main thing I do when I train is everything is against the clock. So timed sets and timed rest is how I train and what makes it tough for me. I plan on cutting my gym time down so I have to work even harder. I'll keep time at the end of each day for stretching. That's very very important. I want to push my limits even more, but will keep it safe. May start training martial arts again on the side a few days a week for a bit more fun in my workouts.

Now you may ask why I don't do a leg day... with the cardio and the core days including more running, it'd be absolute torture to try and fit in a leg day. My legs are very strong, and a lot more defined than I ever expected them to be without leg workout. This will give me more time to focus on other muscle groups as well. I know that my legs are big muscles, and will help burn calories and therefore fat... but again, my cardio makes throwing in a leg day overkill for them. I may be insane sometimes, but I know not to hurt myself too.

Current weight: 240lbs (as of earlier today)

Goals: I'd like to see a drop of 10 lbs of fat if possible, but at the same time I'd like to hopefully put on maybe 5 lbs of lean muscle as well. I don't really want to lose weight. Just lean out a bit more and get a bit more good mass on me. The MAIN goal though for me, aside from fat loss, is I want to see an increase in my endurance during training. I'd like to notice a difference in how long I can last during an intense workout and an overall increase in drive while working out. That's what's most important to me. There's no point of looking like a beast if you aren't one deep down (cough Tim Sylvia cough)

Alright guys... here we go!
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Good luck! Keep up posted with updates!
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Interested to see what happens. Good luck!

Kerry, do you have any meal ideas (for the 5 spaced out meals) i need stuff that is easy to make / buy and I can bring to work. I'd be game for this including 3-4 trips to the gym for a solid month (work out a routine)

Dont have time to come up with one right now and i'll weigh myself when i get home. (roughly 190-200)

Final goals: Either tone up or slim down a bit (hopefully both!) i dont mind my weight but id rather it be muscle then... squishy haha

Ill edit this post tonight/tommorow
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

I am starting something similar. I am actually trying first to stop eating out completely except for once a month (something ensible and not junk food).

I used to eat junk food like 2-3 times a week and sometimes for lunch at work too.

I am greatly reducing portions and having small ones only when I'm really hungry so about 4-5 times a day.

Less carbs, no more pop, less bread, no frozen or pre packaged foods, as little suger as possible, less salty foods and no more sweet. I used to not eat fruits at all and few veggies so I'm including more salads now, fruits and veggies in every meal and of course I try to have at least 8 glasses a day of water now.

I have also bought an exercise bike, punching bag with gloves, skipping rope and some mats and plan to do some mid to high intensity exercise 5-6 times a week for about 30 minutes each.

I started eating well on the 1st and training on Sunday.

I can already say that I feel much less bloated and have a bit more energy. I have also not had a single headache since I started and I used to have them every other day.

Don't think I'll beat you but I can appreciate the effort you are putting into this and am looking forward to see what we can both achieve!

Starting weight for me was 201 pounds

Originally posted by Mr_ET

Don't think I'll beat you but I can appreciate the effort you are putting into this and am looking forward to see what we can both achieve!

hey man, bottem line is being happy with YOUR results
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Well, I just finished reading Kerry's Ephedrine Cycle thread. I think I'll give it a go with a similar diet.

However I started last winter, maybe I can speed things up this time around. I never maintained a strict diet at all last year and that hurt my progress a little bit.

Weight December 2006: 210 lbs.
    Weight January 2008: 175 lbs.

Weight loss goal: 150 lbs.

Goodluck to all!

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

Originally posted by JordanEG6
    Well, I just finished reading Kerry's Ephedrine Cycle thread. I think I'll give it a go with a similar diet.

However I started last winter, maybe I can speed things up this time around. I never maintained a strict diet at all last year and that hurt my progress a little bit.

Goodluck to all!
    You're almost there man, just keep encouraging yourself like that.

If you don't mind me asking did you see a big difference losing the first 35 pounds cause thats about what I'd like to drop?

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

You're almost there man, just keep encouraging yourself like that.

If you don't mind me asking did you see a big difference losing the first 35 pounds cause thats about what I'd like to drop?
    Noticed a big difference. I have a more defined neckline and I can see my colorbone LOL, I also felt more energy during the day and also my asthma wasn't as bad and I went from an XL-M in clothing and 36"-33/32" in belt/pant sizes.

I suggest to buy a new wardrobe when you reach your final weightloss goal, just to save money...I found myself constantly buying new clothes throughout last year and if I reach that 150 mark, I'm going to have to go shopping again.

Noticed a big difference. I have a more defined neckline and I can see my colorbone LOL, I also felt more energy during the day and also my asthma wasn't as bad and I went from an XL-M in clothing and 36"-33/32" in belt/pant sizes.

I suggest to buy a new wardrobe when you reach your final weightloss goal, just to save money...I found myself constantly buying new clothes throughout last year and if I reach that 150 mark, I'm going to have to go shopping again.
    thats the biggest thing i noticed was 6 months ago when i wasnt working out at all my asthma was kicking my ass, since ive been going to the gym 1-2 times a week for the last while, and eating a BIT more healthy my asthma is getting better, more endurance, more energy.

10 min on the treadmill doesnt kick my ass anymore

just buy clothes that are too small.
    More motivation to lose that weight to you don't waste that money
    That's the chinese in me talking.

My Ride

Alright I'll reply to some stuff on here...

I am starting something similar. I am actually trying first to stop eating out completely except for once a month (something ensible and not junk food).

I used to eat junk food like 2-3 times a week and sometimes for lunch at work too.

I am greatly reducing portions and having small ones only when I'm really hungry so about 4-5 times a day.

Less carbs, no more pop, less bread, no frozen or pre packaged foods, as little suger as possible, less salty foods and no more sweet. I used to not eat fruits at all and few veggies so I'm including more salads now, fruits and veggies in every meal and of course I try to have at least 8 glasses a day of water now.

I have also bought an exercise bike, punching bag with gloves, skipping rope and some mats and plan to do some mid to high intensity exercise 5-6 times a week for about 30 minutes each.

I started eating well on the 1st and training on Sunday.

I can already say that I feel much less bloated and have a bit more energy. I have also not had a single headache since I started and I used to have them every other day.

Well don't worry about "beating" me dude! It's awesome that you're taking the intiative to be healthier and that's what's most important. Sure it's nice to drop fat, but if you're healthy it doesn't really matter how you look. I hope ya feel great about what you're doing which is the key thing in fitness IMO.

Goodluck to all!
    The Ephedrine cycle was pretty fucking intense in terms of how I lost weight. The diet I did while doing the cycle was similar to what I'm doing now with a lot more lenience. Christmas was upon us and many big Christmas dinners were happening . If you stick to a decent diet I'm sure you'll notice results in the weight loss department. Just make sure to eat lots of protein to ensure you don't lose too much muscle mass.

I'll PM you back in a sec too!

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    Kerry, do you have any meal ideas (for the 5 spaced out meals) i need stuff that is easy to make / buy and I can bring to work. I'd be game for this including 3-4 trips to the gym for a solid month (work out a routine)

Dont have time to come up with one right now and i'll weigh myself when i get home. (roughly 190-200)

Final goals: Either tone up or slim down a bit (hopefully both!) i dont mind my weight but id rather it be muscle then... squishy haha

Ill edit this post tonight/tommorow
    Meal ideas are tough to come up with I agree so I'll throw you a couple of my favorites as well as basics I usually pick up for food. This will be a big ass post. Usually when eating, I'll either drink green tea, Coke zero (it's nice to cheat every now and again), milk, water or v8.

Breakfast:
    Bowl of cereal with half vector and half muesli with half skim milk and half yogurt OR just skim milk. Usually have a green tea or coffee at school with either splenda or a bit of honey Apparently you can get a kraft "south beach" cereal though I've never tried it.

Instant oatmeal (plain) with a tiny tiny bit of sugar and skim milk with banana slices.

All-Bran bar (plain) with peanut butter (no salt/sugar added or natural) and a banana. Milk to drink

If you have time make a 2 egg omelette with low fat cheese, canadian back bacon and mushrooms. This with one piece of flax toast and http://www.becelcanada.com/product.asp?pid={480B35F4-6029-44C3-9851-61E938ABB3EB} is an awesome breakfast. I usually cook with cooking spray to keep down on the unnecessary fat.

I've had flax seed pancakes and waffles so you could give this recipe a try. I'd try it with skim milk instead of soy personally, but the pancakes and waffles I had were unreal. With some berries that you basically will mash up yourself into a jam, they taste fucking amazing! Had em in banff at a hippy cafe lol
    http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20030102favesip2.asp

Snack (these are good for after lunch too):
    Full apple cut into slices with peanut butter (same stuff mentioned above)

Yogurt (Source is my fave fat free low-sugar) with berries and a handful of granola or hemp seeds if you can get em. With berries the general rule is the darker the berry, the better it is for you. Blackberries, blueberries etc etc

Celery sticks and light cheez whiz while controlling how much you eat.

Smoothie with frozen yogurt, bananas, low carb protein powder (biox is my fave), strawberries, handful of granola, flax seeds or oil, skim milk. These are super filling and they taste good if you've found good tasting fat free frozen yogurt... no shit haha.

Lunch time!
    Sandwich with fresh deli turkey, calorie wise miracle whip, low fat mozzarella cheese, lettuce, tomato, pepper and flax bread. Can also be a wrap if you'd like.

Get a bunch of those Campbells' Healthy Request soups. You can get microwave single servings now but you can just do the cans if you want. Tastes great and filling. You can even get the "Chunky" brand in healthy request now! These make for a great lunch at work since all you need is a microwave and a tupperware container.

Leftover pasta from dinner list below

Salads. Use Calorie Wise italian or ranch dressing and I usually throw in romaine lettuce, baby tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and baked chicken. Basically bake chicken breasts at 375F for about 30 minutes with a catch tray beneath so fat can drip off. Put a bit of salt, pepper, or Mrs Dash seasoning. Almost completely sodium free and have no sugar! Table blend and lemon pepper are my favorite.

Dinner:

Top Sirloin steak grilled with just a steak spice rub consisting of steak spice, onion powder, dry chilis (like the onces at BPs), savory and basil. Baby potatoes either boiled or cooked over bbq in tin foil. Use the low fat margarine from above if you want some flavor. Grilled green and red peppers are nice with this.

Whole wheat pasta with home made sauce. I usually make my sauce with a can of unseasoned stewed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, savory, 2-3 chopped cloves of garlic, chilis again, chopped onion, carrot. Blend basically all ingredients and allow to simmer on low heat so flavours can absorb. Put a lid on to ensure the sauce doesn't reduce too much. This will make enough for 2-3 portions depending on size of your can of stewed tomatoes. I bake 2 chicken breasts like mentioned above minus seasoning. After baking I'll cut em up, and throw into the sauce while simmering. Usually when I make this I'll make 2 cans worth and let it cook for about an hour to 2 hours. This will bring out flavors and you can obviously change what's in it. Great for lunches and leftovers for dinner.

Broccoli cheddar soup with the recipe below but "healthy" alternatives for the ingredients
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broccol...up/Detail.aspx
    Tastes amazing and goes great with a nice wrap or a small salad and chicken breast.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/healthy

Site has a lot of good recipes if you want some more ideas.

I wanna say thanks to everyone that's been super fucking supportive here. You guys are wicked and I really appreciate you reading my shit. I'm very flattered that you even think of my advice as good! Big ups to 1-bar and Darkane for giving wicked advice as well. Those guys know their shit!

I'll post some results after the first week.

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

There is one thing I would really like to keep as part of what I eat and that is white bread. I have never liked the taste of brown, flax or multi grain bread.

If it is taken in moderation and usually no more than the equivalent of 1 slice a day do you think that would be very taxing on a diet?

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

There is a Omega Three honey oat you could try, it does taste a lot better than most of the bland "brown" breads out there

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

Right now a I am eathing the "smart" bread which I believe is a combination of white and brown bread and it's not too bad so if I could leave it at that it would be great

My Ride

It won't really HURT your diet, but if you can tough it out and switch over to a whole grain then I'd suggest you give it a shot.

I can't find the brand I usually buy on the internet because apparently google isn't my friend. It's a green bag, and it's flax seed. You can get it in many many different varieties and I've found they taste better than other whole grain brands. Almost any Safeway or Superstore.

Just stay away from the Ancient Grains brand. Tastes like shit and has a super stale texture.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Nice, just read through this thread. Good to keep a journal Kerry. Thanks for the kind words.

Couple things I've been experimenting with:

Avoiding all peanut butter. I've read some places where PB can contain invisible mold that causes cancer. Many sources on this.

http://deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/peanuts.htm

I've been avoiding all Milk. This seems to be working well for fat loss and immune system strength. Many articles on this. Milk is also said to contribute to acne as well.

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/faq/260.html

Avoiding all processed foods and "quick" oats in favor of a lower GI steel cut version. It takes longer to cook but tastes better IMO, nutty earthy flavour. Avoid all packaged meats in favor of fresh whole meats like chicken breasts. Roast them, then make lunch. Packaged have many preservatives.

Breakfasts I like to use thin skinned berries, like blueberries for thier awesome anti-oxidant effects.

I've also read huge insulin spikes can rapidly increase aging. Not cool

I'm almost 26, many people have said in the last few years I've actually gotten younger which is great! My pic can vouch for that

Good luck all, Maybe I'll start a food log on her too. Starting a new Recomposition routine right away.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I'm not really a body builder or anything, I just kind of stumbled on this post while wandering aimlessly through the forum. I thought I'd share what I've done to lose a whole whack of weight over the last year.

I've always known that I wasn't doing myself any favors hauling around a ton of extra weight, but I just kept lying to myself that it didn't matter. It DOES matter. That was the first thing to overcome, and once I managed that there was no looking back.

Over the last year I've lost 85 lbs, and I managed it just by being disciplined about what I've was eating. When I looked at things honestly, I realized that I was consuming 3500-4000 calories a day, and I was sitting on my ass behind a desk for a living. Small wonder my weight was spiraling out of control.

Taking a hard look at my diet, I realized a few things:

1. I was eating out WAY too much
    2. I was drinking absurd amounts of pop and little else
    3. Way too much fat, and all the worst kinds
    4. Way too much sodium
    5. Not nearly enough vegetables and fruits

Having realized that, things were already looking easier. Switching from regular pop to diet, and then just to water did wonders for cutting out a lot of empty calories every day. Cooking large quantities of food and portioning it out and freezing it for lunches helped eliminate the need for eating out so much and dramatically improved my nutrition. Rigorous portion control became my best friend, and adding salads to every meal did a lot to help fill me up with some healthy stuff. I started eating 5 much smaller meals a day instead of 3 massive ones.

And the weight started coming off. In the summer of 2006 I was 290lbs, in February of 2007 I was down to 260lbs. As of this morning I was 205lbs. In my case, the biggest problem was how much I was eating. I cut my portions back and I became a relentless label reader, using a program for my Palm to help track calories and nutrient. And the results became noticeable after only a couple months. I went from a 44" waist to a 36" and I'm still carrying 20lbs more than I probably should be.

But I look and feel so much better. I can actually run now, I can do martial arts, I can go hiking. I can exercise to keep the weight from coming back, and start putting on some muscle so I'm not such a wimp.

I guess the biggest thing is if you're in really bad shape and you look more like a marshmallow than steel, don't let it discourage you. You are ultimately in control of your own destiny, and losing weight doesn't need to be overly difficult or make you totally miserable. You can still eat things you enjoy, just control your portions and make smarter decisions.

I can't find a more recent photo of myself, this one is a few years old and I was probably a good 30lbs lighter than I was when I finally decided to do something about my weight.

Before:

This photo was taken about a month ago.

After:
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

Before:

This photo was taken about a month ago.

After:
    You look about 8 years younger too. Congrats man

Day 1 guys , good luck!

190 lbs, 5'11. (Running first week with 0 supplements)

Breakfast: Had vector cereal with skim milk

Morning snack: 2 sticks of celery with peanut butter

Lunch: Can of tuna and a salad with low fat italian dressing

Afternoon snack: baby carrots (no ranch dressing )

Random munching throughout the day: trail mix.

And instead of my usual caramel macciato in the morning im getting a bottle of water (yes i can re-use one everyday but id rather go out and buy a new one everyday so i can GET OUT OF THE OFFICE! lol

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast