Quantcast
Over 370 BMWs bound for New Jersey port damaged in shipping - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Over 370 BMWs bound for New Jersey port damaged in shipping

Default Over 370 BMWs bound for New Jersey port damaged in shipping

Over 370 BMWs bound for New Jersey port damaged in shipping

The carrier M/V Courage tipped at the port in Jersey City on Friday causing damage to over 370 BMWs. The ship was loaded with new 3-series and 1-series vehicles, including new M3s. Around 70 of the damaged cars are reported to be total losses with others sustaining major damage. Word is that the M3s bared the brunt of the brutality. Extensively damaged cars will be crushed while those with minor damage will undergo repair at a receiving facility in Elizabeth, NJ, after which they will proceed onto dealers. Bimmers destined for European delivery customers were also on board, although it's not clear how those buyers will be handled in the wake of the incident.

This is a particularly harsh hit to BMW in terms of the new M3 and even more so for the owners awaiting their new V8-powered uber-coupes. We'd expect this unfortunately event will lead to an extension of the waiting period many potential customers will have to endure. It also means many dealerships are out of luck for a demo car. With the M3's competition coming on strong from the likes of Lexus, Cadillac and Mercedes one can only imagine this sort of setback might steer away a few potential buyers.

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

BRUTALLLL

My Ride
    Memories...

I would still wait for the M3

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

Holy shit.

ouch

My Ride
    Subaru GR

what the hell, did they put all the m3's on the outside of the carrier lol
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

The shitty thing for anyone looking at an e92 m3 is that any car salvageable will be rebuilt and sold as new for full price by the dealer w/out any disclosure as to what happened to it.

Originally posted by M_Power
    The shitty thing for anyone looking at an e92 m3 is that any car salvageable will be rebuilt and sold as new for full price by the dealer w/out any disclosure as to what happened to it.
    I believe you, alot of dealers a scum!!! (not all, but alot)
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by 1-Bar

what the hell, did they put all the m3's on the outside of the carrier lol

it makes for better weight distribution.
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

yah there will be a fun lemons being sold for sure.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

I hear a lawsuit...

and that's sad! Poor Babies!!!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by M_Power
    Originally posted by VWEvo
    I believe you, alot of dealers a scum!!! (not all, but alot)
    It's actually the manufacturer that does it. The dealer would have no clue (unless the damage was from port --> dealership transport, then the dealer would obviously see the damage).

It's 100% legal, and happens everyday with every manufacturer. They don't need to disclose at all.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    VAG products

Originally posted by rage2

It's actually the manufacturer that does it. The dealer would have no clue (unless the damage was from port --> dealership transport, then the dealer would obviously see the damage).

It's 100% legal, and happens everyday with every manufacturer. They don't need to disclose at all.
    Injustice.

My Ride
    BMW E46 LSB ///M3

Originally posted by rage2

its true! it just happens that sometimes the info leaks out, like in this case for instance. Thats a harsh deal for the people that were waiting for their cars. Another reason to stay away from the first couple batch of m3's being sold in the U.S.

I wish they would at least part out the cars that are going to be "complete loses", as i'm sure that on some cars, motors, wheels, interiors, ect are still salvagable, but instead they get crushed!

damn i feel bad for the owners, I'm still yet to see the M3 on south beach yet. This is apparently the case....wow. BMW ill rebuild them shits back to brand new specs because they are the original manufacturer and designed the car.....LFMAO.

My Ride
    BMW E46 LSB ///M3

Update..

A cargo ship carrying new BMWs, Mercedes, and Volkswagens arrived in the Port of New Jersey on Friday with more than 470 damaged cars in one of its cargo holds. The cargo ship Courage, operated by Wallenius Lines, encountered rough seas in the Atlantic before arriving at port. Vehicles in one of the ship’s cargo holds were ripped from their lashings during the storm, hurtling cars into one another. In total, about 470 BMWs were damaged, roughly 120 of which are a total loss.

BMW® North America spokesman Tom Plucinsky confirmed the incident, which was first reported on the eve of the start of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Plucinsky indicated that while there were BMWs in several holds of the ship, the damage appears to be limited to just the one. Nevertheless, BMW® plans to inspect every one of their vehicles that was on the Courage, looking for damage at chassis tie-down locations and conducting a four-wheel alignment check on each one before releasing them to dealers.

The exact breakdown of the damaged vehicles is still being sorted out, but a significant number of the cars in the affected cargo hold were M3s intended for use as dealer demonstrator vehicles ahead of the full launch of the M3. A fair number of new 1 Series coupes, also intended for dealer use, were damaged as well. The remaining cars consist of customer orders and European delivery vehicles.

BMW® says customers concerned about ending up with a damaged car can rest assured that any and all damage will fully disclosed before being sold to dealers. Following its long-standing policy, the damaged vehicles will be handled appropriately based on the degree of damage incurred. For instance, any vehicle whose repair costs approach or exceed its inventory value will be crushed in whole at the port.

Vehicles with damage greater than three percent of their value will be repaired and used as employee vehicles for a period of time before being sold at dealer auctions with full disclosure of the damage and repairs. After being sold at auction, the cars will carry the balance of the original factory warranty.

Cars with less than three percent damage will be repaired, after which the dealer, or the customer in the case of a special order vehicle, will be notified of the damage and repair and then given the option of accepting or refusing the car. Any repaired car that is rejected by either a dealer or a customer will be sent to a dealer auction and the vehicle will be replaced with an identical one at the earliest possible time. All repaired vehicles will carry the full factory warranty.

Those customers who were waiting for their European Delivery vehicle to arrive will have the same options and everyone else. Essentially, they can take a similar vehicle from dealer stock, or they can order an identical replacement new from the factory.

The damaged inventory is an unfortunate setback given the timing. New M3s, 128i and 135i coupes are scheduled to go on sale in just a few weeks, and the loss of at least 120 cars will certainly cause problems with their launch. The remaining 350 or so damaged cars will take weeks to repair, further hampering the introduction of these popular models. Even the process of inspecting and aligning the remainder of the shipment will hold up the delivery of several hundred cars at a time when supply is already low.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

370 pissed off guido's

JAGG'AH BOMB!!!!!!!
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride

hmm it looks like alot of those rejected vehicles will make their way here for sure

lhahah finboy, i actually lol'ed.
    And according to that update given, looks like they are discolsing the information of the damage.

PROTEIINNNN!!!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by SCHIDER23
    hmm it looks like alot of those rejected vehicles will make their way here for sure
    I believe the NJ port is just for USA BMW's.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast