Quantcast
Car totalled...help!! - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Car totalled...help!!

My Ride
    Savanna 7, Super Tempo!, CBR600F4

Originally posted by 403Gemini

Hi welcome to page 4, pretty sure we got this message accross on pages 1 & 2. thanks!
    hi, welcome to me not wasting time reading 4+ pages and jumping to the end to give my $0.02....

So the friend of your ex-bf hangs out with your current bf? errr..too easy.

Lets see pics of the car before the accident.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    lemons.....mmm ...sour

Originally posted by icecreamvan
    So the friend of your ex-bf hangs out with your current bf? errr..too easy.

Lets see pics of the car before the accident.
    I will post up when I get off work today.

and also huh? Takahashi just happens to know both of them.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    Not sure I'd agree that the damage isn't pretty extensive. My Xtrail got hit last year when it was parked (no frame damage, no airbag deployment, no suspension damage etc.), it didn't look as bad as those photo's do and the damage tally was over 14K.
    You don't need to agree with me. Damage appraisal is what I do every day. Do you have any training in vehicle construction that gives you any basis to decide what is extensive/not extensive?

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    I'm not an appraiser but that's pretty extensive in my books. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car after being in an accident like that.

I have my reservations that a body shop would be able to repair it and have it look exactly like it did before. Most people with an eye for detail would be able to see any misaligned panels or color differences instantly.

If it were me, and insurance decided to repair it, I would sell the car the day it came back from the body shop.

There is no reason to not be comfortable drive the car after its repaired properly. If the bodyshop botched the job, you're right there could be a problem. However the damage CAN BE repaired properly and should show no sign of repair once competed. However it would all hinge on a quality repair by the shop.

Not sure I'd agree that the damage isn't pretty extensive. My Xtrail got hit last year when it was parked (no frame damage, no airbag deployment, no suspension damage etc.), it didn't look as bad as those photo's do and the damage tally was over 14K.
    You don't need to agree with me. Damage appraisal is what I do every day. Do you have any training in vehicle construction that gives you any basis to decide what is extensive/not extensive?

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    I'm not an appraiser but that's pretty extensive in my books. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car after being in an accident like that.

I have my reservations that a body shop would be able to repair it and have it look exactly like it did before. Most people with an eye for detail would be able to see any misaligned panels or color differences instantly.

If it were me, and insurance decided to repair it, I would sell the car the day it came back from the body shop.

There is no reason to not be comfortable drive the car after its repaired properly. If the bodyshop botched the job, you're right there could be a problem. However the damage CAN BE repaired properly and should show no sign of repair once competed. However it would all hinge on a quality repair by the shop.

Please keep in mind that I can only see whats damaged in the pictures and use my judgement as to what I feel could be damaged. If I had the car in front of me I could say with a little more certainty but I would bet that the estimate be similar to mine or less.

Originally posted by tom_9109

You might as well keep it since you won't recoup much with the diminished re-sale value.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Why couldn't he claim that he was too intoxicated to make an informed, rational decision? We've already established that his decisions are, by extension, as legally binding as your decisions in this regard. If his capacity was impaired beyond the ability to rationally make that choice would that not be an avenue to explore based on Richard's comments (assuming they are correct but he usually is)?

And if the guy does agree to cough up the dough, get it properly witnessed and attested so it's a binding agreement.
    Because he already rationalized that he wasn't sober enough to drive and let someone else drive.

An irrational decision in this case would be if he decided to drive drunk. Which then would've resulted in a DUI.

Without reading pages 3 and 4 of this thread, I'm going to tell you that, in my unqualified opinion, you're hooped. Your BF is a registered secondary driver on the car, and he gave permission for his buddy to drive. Which is just as valid as if you were to hand him the keys yourself.

MAYBE you can lawyer up like everyone else has said, but I have no idea what the course of legal action would be. From what I read, 2 people are guilty, none of whom are you; Your BF for choosing the wrong guy to drive, and his buddy, who decided he can handle a corner at 120. But in the end, you're the one getting fucked.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I guess it show you work for an insurance company if you don't think damage that is assuredly in excess of over 1/2 the vehicle's value is excessive. But, no point arguing it any further.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    lemons.....mmm ...sour

If it isnt a write off....I do P/t work for a body shop.

I am not too concerned about the body work because my old boss appreciates all the favours I have done for him in the past and I know that even if I want to repaint the whole car he will be fine with only getting paid for the damaged parts. I am more worried the damage done to the mechanical workings of the car.

I guess it show you work for an insurance company if you don't think damage that is assuredly in excess of over 1/2 the vehicle's value is excessive. But, no point arguing it any further.
    There is a point arguing it further, This is what I do for a living and if you really want to get into it I can explain to you why such damage isn't excessive, or you could just go with the rationalization that I just might have a little more insight into what I'm actually looking at when I see vehicle damage than you do.

I don't work for an insurance company. I own an independent appraisal firm. I provide unbiased estimates for insurance and individuals. I do not downplay damage to vehicle owners to take insurance companies off the hook. If this was my personal vehicle I would have no problem with it being repaired as long as the work performed was done satisfactorily.

"But, no point arguing it any further.

Originally posted by Archea
    If it isnt a write off....I do P/t work for a body shop.

I am not too concerned about the body work because my old boss appreciates all the favours I have done for him in the past and I know that even if I want to repaint the whole car he will be fine with only getting paid for the damaged parts. I am more worried the damage done to the mechanical workings of the car.
    Did the damage go into the engine compartment much?? Pictures look like it didn't. Looks more like a hard sideswipe with very little penetration past the outermost parts of the unibody. If you work in a bodyshop p/t why don't you have your boss take a look. He's probably more capable than I am since he can see the actual vehicle.
    Last edited by tom_9109; 01-16-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

Originally posted by euro tang
    And this goes for everybody, DON'T EVER LET ANYBODY DRIVE YOUR CAR!!!
    So, what do you do now when you sell a vehicle and someone wants to test drive it? Seems kinda limiting to me. Just wondering.

Remind me never to let anyone else drive my car again! Wow!

And to answer a question in the first few posts, yes, there is still the free legal aid advice, where they let you talk up to an hour for 3 lawyers. It certainly wouldnt hurt to run this past them AND your insurance, just to get the fact. The internet is probably not the best for opinions of this nature. Im pretty sure the number is in the blue pages of the book, or just call any lawyer, they will have it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ricosuave; 01-16-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Just for your info, labour cost alot, so even though it appears that the cost of damages are very excessive, it does mean that there is excessiveof damage done to the vehicle. Typically, more than half of the appraisal amount is labour.

maybe you should leave it to the person that is actually knowledgable in this field to comment on the repairs.

My Ride
    lemons.....mmm ...sour

Sorry about the last 3 crappy ones. I got those from the dealer's website when I first bought the car.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

What a shame That cars a beauty. By far my favorite honda civic hatchback.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

But, no point arguing it any further.
    Actually I have no problem deferring to your expertise on this and I shouldn't have implied that you would have a bias, my apologies.

Originally posted by ralliart_girl
    blah, blah blah,maybe you should leave it to the person that is actually knowledgable in this field to comment on the repairs.
    I did, if you refer to my reply to tom_9109.

I can virutally guarantee you I know more about bodyshops and what/how they charge than YOU ever will. If you really want to get into it...

Meow.

And to the OP, yeah that car was looking fine. It will be a shame if you don't get to put your parts collection to good use now. Good luck with everything, I'm outta this thread!
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 01-16-2008 at 08:59 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-19-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Meow.

You're a saucy little thing aren't ya?

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    No offense to any of the appraisers, but I am just curious what qualifications you need to become one? Does it compare to the training that, say, an autobody apprentice might get?
    I am asking because in my experience, not one of them has even come close to properly assessing the actual damage done to my vehicles by other drivers. Several times, the shop has had to call my insurance company because the actual damage caused to my vehicle by other drivers greatly exceeded the amount given to them by the appraiser. This means more wasted time (weeks) back and forth with the insurance company, time that could have been spent repairing my vehicle. Just because the appraiser was out to lunch on his appraising.
    Again, not calling anyone out, but some appraisers seem to act like they are the ultimate authority on vehicles when in fact, they are just a tool for insurance companies. Maybe I've just had some bad luck with them, but it seems a few of them don't know much more than the average joe when it really comes down to it.
    There are definitely some less than qualified appraisers out there. When I do an appraisal I am usually within a few % of the actual damage and when something is missed or needs to be changed on my estimate I get my supplement to the repair shop ASAP. From my understanding there are a lot of people that are pretty much given a camera and sent into the field and called estimators from then on. It gets the job done but they have no training specifically on what they are doing. I for example have spent my whole life around cars and then have training specific to vehicle construction, repair techniques and how force is exerted onto a vehicle during a collision. This knowledge is crucial to a proper estimate since an estimate in simple terms is 'directions' on how to repair the car properly. Its unfortunate that without a proper understanding of estimation they miss a lot of damage related to a collision.

In the defense of appraisers that weren't even close to the actual repair cost, it happens. You can only estimate based on what you can see, sometimes there is hidden damage that you have to be able to see before you can authorize a repair on it or the damage is worse than you expected. Its normal in the industry, its called a supplement and are usually pretty easy to get, Its part of my job and happens on some claims. Also keep in mind it is very busy in Calgary, so busy in fact I am traveling 3 hours to do 5 appraisal there this Friday. The appraisers are spread thin and some are new and untrained. Should give em a break and just be thankful there is insurance and property gets repaired or replaced. Its a inconvenience but a lot better than being without a vehicle for good.

As for training in comparison to an apprentice body man its a little different. Think of it more as training on giving proper directions on what to do. I can't fix a dent in a fender worth a shit, I can however tell you exactly how long a qualified technician would need to repair it properly. Think of a quality trained and profession appraiser as someone who knows vehicles, their construction, how force travels in a collision, can assess damage and make a plan how to repair it properly but not necessarily able to fix it with his own hands. ( In many cases though, appraisers have decades of body shop experience)

Ultimate Authority on Vehicles? No. Am I am authority on vehicle damage? Yes thats what I am trained for and paid to do by several major insurance companies.
    Last edited by tom_9109; 01-16-2008 at 10:55 PM.

I can virutally guarantee you I know more about bodyshops and what/how they charge than YOU ever will. If you really want to get into it...

Meow.

Oh really? So what insurance company or bodyshop have YOU worked for? Cause I would really like to know if I have ever dealt with you before, while I was adjusting a claim.

My Ride
    lemons.....mmm ...sour

Ok.

So the adjuster is going to appraise the car in the next week.

And it turns out I had up to 900$ of coverage for a rental vehicle...but no where will rent to me for a decent price because I am 20. Its 450$/week at the cheapest place I can find. An insurance will cover up to 30$/day.

Get your boyfriend to pay for your cab everywhere or cover the rest of the cost to rent a car. It's the least he could do.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast