Quantcast
Assisting and 2nd shooter... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Assisting and 2nd shooter...

Default Assisting and 2nd shooter...

Anyone need one for weddings or any events? I'd like to get more practice time in and this seems like a good idea. I'd be willing to do it for free during the weekends or weeknights.

PM me!

Forgot..notify me at least a week in advance if possible.

My Ride
    Highlander

Most photogs will require a portfolio of some kind! Care to post some of your best so that we can see before going to the trouble of trying to book you as an assistant/2nd shooter?

My Ride
    1992 Nissan 240sx

Originally posted by Melinda
    Most photogs will require a portfolio of some kind! Care to post some of your best so that we can see before going to the trouble of trying to book you as an assistant/2nd shooter?
    Question for you,
    I've also wanted to get on board as a second shooter to someone, but I don't have a portfolio with any wedding style pictures in it.
    How does one get wedding shots together, when most people are going to be asking for a portfolio before they even consider using someone?

My Ride
    Highlander

Bring a camera to a friend's wedding and hang back and shoot some photos. Play around. Just dont get in the pro photog's way or you might be crusified!

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

You gotta realize that second shooting is not some kind of free tag-along ride or something. Photographers want to work with someone who knows what they're doing, and has the skills and talent to bring some kind of benefit to their business!!

It's just like applying for a job! Would you walk into the office of Imperial Oil and say, "yo, I need some practice deploying and maintaining SCADA systems, can I work with you?" Probably not. You have to come well presented, all documentation in order to give the company a great impression that you'll be a great asset. Second shooting for someone is no different.

My Ride
    AI Servo

Originally posted by Bukka

Question for you,
    I've also wanted to get on board as a second shooter to someone, but I don't have a portfolio with any wedding style pictures in it.
    How does one get wedding shots together, when most people are going to be asking for a portfolio before they even consider using someone?
    I get this question once in a while and the first thing I ask of the person is why they want to shoot weddings, what they want to get out of the shooting relationship and what their photography goals are. Once you know that, you can then find a photographer that can help mentor you to achieve those goals.

There are photographers out there that are happy to get someone for free to set up light stands and carry bags. Others are looking to build a long term relationship with their assistants so they can work together as a single creative team.

At the core of wedding photography is shooting people portraits. To build a portfolio, start by shooting portraits of your friends and family. You don't need a model to produce critical work. If you can make an average person beautiful with a click of the shutter, you will do well in weddings. The challenge is to try and find beauty in all forms of human expression so go out there and experiment. If nothing else, you will make beautiful photographs for yourself and your family.

When presenting a portfolio, you need to make sure the portfolio speaks to your goals, your capabilities and the aesthetic you believe in. It needs to be honest is all I'm saying. Don't put things in there that you don't like doing or don't represent your beliefs. But the most important thing is to make sure the images are all tied together in some common way.