Quantcast
Tach install - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Tach install

Default Tach install

Ok so i wanna install a tach on the shitbox just for shits and giggles. I got a myself an oldie style tach with 4 wires. I'm assuming that 1 is for ground and 1 is for power, but I don't know where the other 2 wires should go. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Ok so you've got your power and ground covered..the other one probably white is for the ligh(s) inside the tack some people wire the power and the light bulb wire together so that the light is always on when your vehicle is on or some wire them to the headlights..the other wire is probably green and is wired to your distributor.
    hope this helps
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

On my car, I have a wire for my VSS (speed sensor) that is what I use for my rpm wire.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

That was quick. Unfortunitly they are all red! But I can figure out the power and ground fairly easily. The problem is what wire off the distrubtor should i tap?
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    That was quick. Unfortunitly they are all red! But I can figure out the power and ground fairly easily. The problem is what wire off the distrubtor should i tap?
    Yikes - all red. Any wire from the distributor should be fine.

I would just try one of the red wires then. If a light lights up then you have your light wire.

Last edited by speedracer; 08-01-2002 at 05:03 PM.

Great thanks! I'll just tinker until I find the right wire!

My Ride

I looked over the wriign diagram for your car...I wasnt positive of the year but heres what I found.....your car has an ignition coil so scratch wiring it to the distributor and run it to the yel-blu(yellow with blue) wire...you may have a + and - on the cover of your ignition coil..if you do then its imply the - one.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles

Red Deer, AB

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I looked over the wriign diagram for your car...I wasnt positive of the year but heres what I found.....your car has an ignition coil so scratch wiring it to the distributor and run it to the yel-blu(yellow with blue) wire...you may have a + and - on the cover of your ignition coil..if you do then its imply the - one.
    sweet. I looked and, thanks to mazda, there's the yellow-blue wire sitting there with a female plug on the end of it not attached to anything. When I get a chance I'll test everything out, but I think I found the RPM wire. It was the only wire that was marked with a piece of tape. But I guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks for all the help guys, and especially redlyne for looking up the wiring diagram and speedracer for the pic.

My Ride

sweet. I looked and, thanks to mazda, there's the yellow-blue wire sitting there with a female plug on the end of it not attached to anything. When I get a chance I'll test everything out, but I think I found the RPM wire. It was the only wire that was marked with a piece of tape. But I guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks for all the help guys, and especially redlyne for looking up the wiring diagram and speedracer for the pic.
    your welcome man..anytime...

Red Deer, AB