Quantcast
Work for Divestco? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Work for Divestco?

Default Work for Divestco?

Just curious if anyone has experience working for Divestco? What are you thoughts about this company? More specifically I’m interested in the consulting - financial systems area.

I have two friends that work(ed) there. The first one left within 6 months, and the second one is still there but is actively searching. Based on what I have heard, it's not a good place to be. Both are developers.

My Ride
    Lexus RX400h

i have been with them for 3 years now in the archiving group as a Sr. Geo-Tech. it depends on what dept you are in but overall the company is pretty good to work for. Pay and benefits are compettive to most companies out there. Divestco has been buying up lots of smaller companies ever since i've been with them and have been consitantly showing good profit margins on a yearly basis. They are one of the few companies out there that have the whole Seismic business covered from aquasition , brokerage , archiving to processing. So if your looking for a stable job i recommend them.
    Last edited by gonefishing; 01-22-2008 at 03:05 PM.

removed!
    Last edited by zoik; 01-22-2008 at 01:43 PM.

I am a geophysicist working as a geotech, I'm looking for a change of scenery, ie. do some processing, not front end.

I Divestco looking for someone along these lines?

My Ride
    Lexus RX400h

lol what dept u in? i agree with the stock , turn over rate in some depts. but like i said i guess it just depends what position your in, cause i find in archiving we are more relaxed than other depts. but i guess i have never worked for a company like Talisman , Encana or CNRL where their employess get better pay and fringe benefits so i am content with Divestco.
    Last edited by gonefishing; 01-22-2008 at 03:10 PM.

removed

those fuckers want tonnes of experience zoik, thats what i'm doing, gaining experience, doing front end processing right now.

removed

My Ride

I used to do alot of work through Geo-X, but since the divestco purchase of Geo-X, everyone i knew who went to divestco has since left. So i'm guessing that they're not excelling at keeping their seismic processing staff satisfied.

and also, I'd rather do processing, as their is a definitive way to do work, and there is a right a wrong way, where as with interp, its a game of educated guessing.

My only worry is that processors don't make much as interprators.

removed
    Last edited by zoik; 01-22-2008 at 01:44 PM.

My Ride

Entry level jobs for geophs are drying up quickly, take what you can get. Getting in as an interpretor is almost impossible now, whereas 3-5 years ago, it was "all aboard the gravy train" for anyone coming out of college. Very few students from last year are coming back for full time employment, and i've heard that CNRL even pulled all their contracts that they've offered to summer students for next summer.

Some of the top grads from this years U of C class have even had to take ancillary positions in oil and gas exploration with weatherford and schlum as logging engineers.

removed
    Last edited by zoik; 01-22-2008 at 01:45 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by zoik

*snip
    No, i just don't knwo any of the other staff. The guys i hung out with didn't have great things to say.
    Last edited by Crymson; 01-22-2008 at 01:53 PM.

removed
    Last edited by zoik; 01-22-2008 at 01:44 PM.

My Ride

I don't know what you guys's levels of experience are, but the Junior Geophysic Fourm (JGF) is a networking group for university students, and jr. geophs. There are usually functions during CSEG, and 1 or 2 other times a year. They're ususally good shindigs and you can meet some good people. Keep your eyes on "The Recorder" for any info. I don't know if they have a website.

Hey Crymson,

Yah, I took what I got, and can say, I am happy with my work, but don't feel they are using me upto my "potential".

How many months/years of processing experience should I gather before applying to the major oil and gas compaines do you reckon, Crymson?

Thanks,

My Ride

I don't know if the jump from processing to interp has all that much to do with experience level to be perfectily honest. I'd say "some" experience, but not too much.

I know of a few people who've done it different ways. One guy "put in his time" and probably processed for nearly 10 years, made contacts and then made the jump when there was a hiring blitz. Another of my friends couldn't make the jump -- he got into interp by going back to uni to get an M.Sc and then getting summer student terms doing interp while doing his masters, and finally ended up getting full time that way. Going back to uni was the only way he could get his foot in the door.

However, the processing work has it's perks once you put in your time, as long as your'e with the big shops. I know people working seismic boats who will have seen most of the world in 2 years. 6 weeks on the boat, and a flight worldwide for 6 weeks off, after only a brief introduction to processing. To go "ex-pat" with a multination oil and gas usually takes 10+ years experience and a graduate degree.

removed
    Last edited by zoik; 01-22-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast