Quantcast
Filing Taxes - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Filing Taxes

Did you really just ask if it was cheaper to do it yourself or give it to an accountant?

Really?

Sounds like you NEED to pay someone. Best of luck.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Using an accountant is a waste if you're just a working stiff with a T4 and some RSPs.

If you have ANYTHING to do with a self-employed business, they are good for finding extra stuff for you to writeoff, and to prevent illegal accidents like writing off too much of your car or something. Definately worth the money and peace of mind.

As mentioned before, we buy the 10 filing from mytaxexpress for 13 bucks and our friends use the other files. 40/year is a rip-off IMO for quicktax.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

They found my mistake that year and I had to fix that...
    other than that I was clean altho they have asked for receipts here and there, which I was at least smart enuf to keep...

Originally posted by old&slow
    They found my mistake that year and I had to fix that...
    other than that I was clean altho they have asked for receipts here and there, which I was at least smart enuf to keep...
    Sweet yeh I guess I can do it myself and tell my Dad to let me handle it... though he's self employed... so that'll be a challenge. We did try it once before but didn't know how to use it. I imagine it must of gotten a lot easier now though.

Steve

I usually just use cutetax online filing.. 8 bux or sumtin..

My Ride
    1991 Acura Integra

What about if you have a rental property? Are these software programs good enough to claim the money on the property?

I thought about hr block but thought I'd comb this site first for a bit on some ideas.

thanks in advance.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

I use cute tax, it costs like 8 or 9 bucks.

My Ride
    '06 BMW 325xi

This is kinda of a dumb question but does anyone know which software I would use to do previous year's taxes (2006) can I just use QuickTax 2007? or do I need to fill out the forms by hand or use an older version of quicktax or other filing softwares?

Thanks.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I use ufile - and it worked great. At least, they haven't reassessed me. Yet.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by rated_R
    This is kinda of a dumb question but does anyone know which software I would use to do previous year's taxes (2006) can I just use QuickTax 2007? or do I need to fill out the forms by hand or use an older version of quicktax or other filing softwares?

Thanks.
    I'm in the same boat.

I didn't do my 06 taxes (I did them but never filed as I was getting a return, didn't need the money (read: lazy) and had heard they had a new tax structure (was misinformed) so I wanted to hold off on using my RRSP credits for this year.) As such, you have to do all old returns in Paper format. You cant file previous years via internet/phone (this was from the CRA Helpline when I called to get a Telefile code for this years return and asked about last years).
    Travel

My Ride
    '06 BMW 325xi

Originally posted by Ben

I'm in the same boat.

I didn't do my 06 taxes (I did them but never filed as I was getting a return, didn't need the money (read: lazy) and had heard they had a new tax structure (was misinformed) so I wanted to hold off on using my RRSP credits for this year.) As such, you have to do all old returns in Paper format. You cant file previous years via internet/phone (this was from the CRA Helpline when I called to get a Telefile code for this years return and asked about last years).
    Thanks a lot man

This is actually for my little brother, I do my taxes every year and on time. I did his taxes as well but he owed money and couldn't pay so he didn't bother submitting it, now he has to pay the amount owing from the previous year plus interest on top.

Originally posted by rated_R

Thanks.

Originally posted by Ben

I'm in the same boat.

You can still use ufile.ca to do taxes for previous years. The only difference is that they won't be submitted electonically via Netfile. You just print them of and send them in. So you are still using the software but it just prints off the paper format.

Off topic here but I have reason to believe my tax preparer messed up my 2006 return. How do I go about re-filing the return? What granularity of documentation do I have to retain (ie: here's all the stuff I changed with supporting receipts)

I fill the paper copy out, but double check the calculations using ufile.ca It works great, to make sure i'm on the right track.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2