Quantcast
Help me settle a debate - What is more of a sport - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me settle a debate - What is more of a sport

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Default Help me settle a debate - What is more of a sport

Well last night I went out for wings with a few buddies, we usually get into some pretty heated discussions. One of the guys is a die hard football fan. Me and my buddy are pretty good F1 fans, which he discounts greatly.

I think personally that F1 requires the most athletic ability next to boxing. Driving requires absolutely honed and masterful reflexes in exceptionally enduring circumstances (4 layers of fire protection, a seat squeezing your every fiber, its hard to breathe with all the air being sucked into the intake), for... 2 hours!

Anyways, discuss, I would be interested to hear what other people think
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

You guys obviously haven't seen the handbike or the travelator.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Reeks of Awesomeness

are you serious....?

You think F1 driving is a harder/more of a sport than football???????

fuck....wow.

F1 in my opinion. I've had the discussion with many people countless times, and it's pointless. They think it's just driving a car faster than normal through corners. The best comparison I could think of was likening F1 to golf, where each corner requires the technique of a golf swing - except the whole thing is in fast forward, and you have other goflers messing with your ball trying to get to the hole first. Not a very good comparison :p but it's the best way I could think of it.

This clip helps a little bit:

Originally posted by wardpr68
    are you serious....?

You think F1 driving is a harder/more of a sport than football???????

fuck....wow.
    Oh yeah. Easy. How many pro footballers are there in the world at any given time? I bet it's a lot more than 22.
    Last edited by 962 kid; 01-18-2008 at 12:38 AM.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    broken POS

hmm thats a hard one
    i think F-1 might be harder.
    in the cockpit i hear it gets PRETTY damn ass hot. its alot to how much you can stand..

while i'm not a football person so i'm sure i'm bias but still it's more or less like stop and go stop and go wait for 5 minutes make a plan and go some more.
    there is a huge risk of injury in football tho due to the full contact nature but there is alot of resting? i don't know

my vote is F-1 but i don't like football overly to much lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Just imagine a hockey player having to play a 100 minute shift, getting checked 500 times, and no stoppages. That's F1 right there.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Next up, apples vs. oranges.

My Ride
    09 hyundai accent hatch

i dont think you can compare talent and physical ability in once sport to talent and physical ability in another. You and all your friends lose.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by icecreamvan
    You guys obviously haven't seen the handbike or the travelator.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Although I'm not a fan of either sport, I would say both are equal sports but in each their own way. F1 has to do more with endurance, while Football focuses more on instantaneous intense physical ability.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

Originally posted by mo_money2supe
    F1 has to do more with endurance, while Football focuses more on instantaneous intense physical ability.
    did you watch the video? Driving a F1 car definitely takes more intense physical ability, coupled with mongoose like reflexes.

How can one be more of a sport than another? They're both sports. Its like saying which is more of a fruit, a pineapple or a banana.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

I think F1 drivers are conditioned much better than football players. In fact F1 drivers are probably the most conditioned athletes in the world. F1 drivers are exposed to quite a bit of stress thus requiring the conditioning needed. An argument that can be made for football being more of a sport, which I don't agree with necessarily, is that F1 drivers don't really participate in an actual physical exertion like football players do. To an ignorant 'F1 is not a sport' person the only exertion a F1 driver participates in is moving a wheel and gear lever (I also don't agree with this either).

I've gotten into similar debates about golf being a sport so I know where you're coming from.

Nascar on the other hand....oh boy, I don't know about that one.

people don't think F1 isn't a sport because it does not require you to run your ass off so it seems like you aren't exactly doing any work at all but driving a "car". In that sense they are right but wrong at the same time.

I don't even see why you continue to argue time after time, i will argue with people who can come up with quality supporting evidence, not those who are just ignorant.

I learned that the hard way when i brought up the plane-on-conveyor-belt myth to a few people. I was pretty surprised with some of the shit people come up with.

No matter how smart you are and how good your supporting evidence is you can't change someones opinion about something if they are too ignorant or just plain too stupid. You can usually gather how smart, or ignorant, a person is thorough these arguments.

and the plane will take off!

i just find it kind of funny you ask this on a car forum. pretty biased opinions. if you asked this on a football forum, you'd get biased opinions the other way.

My Ride
    '07 Mustang/'05 R6 Raven

Easiest way to teach your friends a little about F1: tell them to hold their head and body upright while you take a 40km/h exit at about 80km/h, at the end ask them how hard that was, then tell them to imagine wearing full protective gear, heat above 40degC, a 5lb helmet, 4x the g-forces and doing that for over an hour straight.

F1 is about as physically and mentally demanding as a sport gets, find another sport where they have to do a hardcore excercise regiment on the other side of their neck just because the next race goes around the track in a different direction than normal.
    Epicoque Racing