Quantcast
taxi hit me and I need advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: taxi hit me and I need advice

My Ride
    2012 Raptor, 2004 RX8

Default taxi hit me and I need advice

ok this my be a really stupid thing I did, but here we go.

on friday I was drving home and on 17th ave and a taxi, trying avoid a car in the middle lane with it's hazard light on, clipped me. scratched my bumper and driver side fender. very minor.

so he said he'll get it fixed and we won't go through insurance so I gave him the benifit of the doubt and just took his information just incase.

so he came by today to see what damages there was and he asked for my insurance (he didn't grab it on friday)

he says he'll call his friend and get it fixed tomorrow.

now I'm worried since he wanted my insurance info.

if he goes to the police and says I hit him I wouldn't be considered guilty would i?(meaning does it matter who claims first when they figure fault?) I had my girlfriend in my car and he had a customer in his car. thinking back I should have gotten the customer's phone number

I use to live in vancouver, so dealing with ICBC is a bit different.

just wondering if I should be worried
    (oOO \(lllll)(lllll)/ OOo)

hmm you can't trust anyone these days. Well your kinda screwed in a sense if he claims it on your insurance because you would have NO control over that. You should of gotten his insurance information.

Worst comes to worst find where he lives and just screw him over lol.

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

make sure his "friend" doesn't fix your car!
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    2012 Raptor, 2004 RX8

Originally posted by Bimmer88
    hmm you can't trust anyone these days. Well your kinda screwed in a sense if he claims it on your insurance because you would have NO control over that. You should of gotten his insurance information.

Worst comes to worst find where he lives and just screw him over lol.
    sorry if i didn't make it clear, I did get his insurance info just in case

I shouldn't have trusted him.. should have did it by the book.. now I'm worried...
    (oOO \(lllll)(lllll)/ OOo)

ummm sound like indian taxi driver..

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Fusion
    ummm sound like indian taxi driver..

Is........too easy
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

dude... never trust anyone...

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

call your insurance company now, its not too late. File a police report as well if its over 1000 in damage.

DO NOT let his "friend" fix it. Again, DO NOT let his friend fix it, go to a reputable body shop to get a quote.

im with Team_Mclaren unless its parking lot incident which ends up to be 50/50 most of the time then go through with insurance since its his fault.

My Ride

I'd say to give him the chance to pay out of pocket, but you pick the autobody shop. That way everybody wins. But i agree, do not go to "his friend". Tell him it's either your autobody shop, or a police report and an insurance claim. I don't think you can get into any trouble by reporting the accident late, i would assume this kind of thing happens all the time.

My Ride
    2001 Integra

in every incident you should go to the police.
    going to the police doesnt mean your automatically going through insurance. going to the police enables you to have proof of what happened, granted you have a witness at the scene.
    if you both go through insurance he "could" make up some bullshit
    and from there on its your word against his... then to small claims court it goes.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

-go to the police
    -go to insurance
    -don't trust cab drivers, look at what shape their cars are in (especially the paint jobs, yellow gas tanks/mufflers FTL), their "friends" will do about the same quality repair job on your car
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    LCI E90 :-)

Originally posted by Crymson
    I'd say to give him the chance to pay out of pocket, but you pick the autobody shop. That way everybody wins. But i agree, do not go to "his friend". Tell him it's either your autobody shop, or a police report and an insurance claim. I don't think you can get into any trouble by reporting the accident late, i would assume this kind of thing happens all the time.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Rule of Thumb for accidents. ALWAYS file a police report with the guy first. That won't affect the at-fault party's insurance rates at all. This will prove who's at fault.

After that, you can decide if you want to be a nice guy and let them settle privately and not through insurance. The guy can't fuck you over since you have the police report already.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by rage2
    Rule of Thumb for accidents. ALWAYS file a police report with the guy first. That won't affect the at-fault party's insurance rates at all. This will prove who's at fault.

After that, you can decide if you want to be a nice guy and let them settle privately and not through insurance. The guy can't fuck you over since you have the police report already.
    I'm with you on this. Sometimes initial quotes can miss items and the repair cost can increase.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    2004 Ford Mustang

I was in an accident in '05 and the guy said he wanted to deal out of insurance, same thing, we gave him the benefit that he would contact us, sure enough, after 5 days we had not heard a thing from him. So we decided to go through insurance/police report and let them sort it out.

call your insurance company now, its not too late. File a police report as well if its over 1000 in damage.
    This statement is very true, it's not to late, get it done sooner than later. Sure enough, and no joke, one hour after we called our insurance company and filed the police report, the guy that hit us called us and started screaming at us. We just told him to deal with his insurance haha. Alot of times people don't want their insurance to go up, or even worse, they will get charged with something like expired licence, it wasn't there vehicle, stuff like that. Best of luck, I hope it all works out for you

My Ride
    FA1

Yeah, the police station I went to though has a big sign on the front door that says not to file a police report unless the damage is actually above $1,000.00 lol -- so what do you do then?

does anyone knows how long you can wait to make a claim?

Originally posted by anhsicun
    *snip*parking lot incident which ends up to be 50/50 most of the time then go through with insurance since its his fault.
    +1 ban for incorrect information plz and thx
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    fast and red.

Hey, he might have just asked for your insurance information to make sure you were insured. If you hadn't been, he may have threatened to report you to the police for no insurance if you pushed him to do repairs. You have insurance, he's got nothing to hold over your head, so he's prepared to pay to fix your car.

This happens from time to time - a contractor I hired once told me a story about getting screwed this way. He was behind on maintenance payments to his ex, so couldn't renew his license, and was driving without one. He was rear-ended, causing about $1500 damage. The contractor would have been okay with a $1000 payment, but the other drive figured out he was driving illegally, and wouldn't pay him. What's he going to do, call the police?

I'd agree, though, that you get to choose the shop, or at least present him with a few estimates to choose from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast