Quantcast
Calgary EGG's downturn? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Calgary EGG's downturn?

My Ride

Default Calgary EGG's downturn?

Any EGGs (Engineers,geos,geophs) working downtown getting any "downsize/re-structure" vibes"

I heard a rumour that Petro Can had a round of layoffs before Christmas and that a smaller shop, Kereco, laid off 70% of their staff.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

I haven't noticed it, in fact I just accepted a new position with a different company.

My Ride
    TL

Default Re: Calgary EGG's downturn?

Originally posted by Crymson
    Any EGGs (Engineers,geos,geophs) working downtown getting any "downsize/re-structure" vibes"

I heard a rumour that Petro Can had a round of layoffs before Christmas and that a smaller shop, Kereco, laid off 70% of their staff.
    Friend of ours was part of that round of layoffs for geos at Petro Can.

My Ride
    Does it really matter what I drive?!?!?!

I heard the same at Kereco. Went to a CAPL networking event and quite a few landmen were looking for work.
    Where are all the materialistic people?!

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Calgary EGG's downturn?

Originally posted by Oz-

Friend of ours was part of that round of layoffs for geos at Petro Can.
    Did they find something else?

My Ride

Apache had a round of layoffs on monday! This is going to be bad.

My Ride
    TL

Default Re: Re: Re: Calgary EGG's downturn?

Did they find something else?
    Not that I know of, last I heard they might just go work for the family geo company (not O&G centric).

My Ride
    M5 Competition

We had 4 layoffs.

Two Land
    One Lawyer
    One Construction

heard that PetroCanada laid off some people in their land admin. department as well in Dec.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

EPCM side of things doesn't seem to be slowing down a whole lot, at least where I work. We've been luckier than some other companies tho.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    EPCM side of things doesn't seem to be slowing down a whole lot, at least where I work. We've been luckier than some other companies tho.
    Yeah, from what I'm hearing things are still pretty good. Although from what I hear (and what I'm seeing at my current company) is that a few of the bigger ones are starting to collapse under their own weight. Now that they have a work force of mostly overpaid idiots due to rapid expansion, and as the idiocy begins to pile on, more competent people are leaving, making things even more idiotic, it's getting to the point where the O&G companies are starting to notice.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by Antonito

Yeah, from what I'm hearing things are still pretty good. Although from what I hear (and what I'm seeing at my current company) is that a few of the bigger ones are starting to collapse under their own weight. Now that they have a work force of mostly overpaid idiots due to rapid expansion, and as the idiocy begins to pile on, more competent people are leaving, making things even more idiotic, it's getting to the point where the O&G companies are starting to notice.
    exactly, they are finally trimming the fat because they realize they can't pay 4 people 150,000 a year to do what 1 person really could be doing for 125,000 and still be profitable.

We are pretty busy too... I think if it slows down they would let the 6 contractors go who are retiree's working back here for twice the money
    Cos...

My Ride

Originally posted by brendankharris

exactly, they are finally trimming the fat because they realize they can't pay 4 people 150,000 a year to do what 1 person really could be doing for 125,000 and still be profitable.

We are pretty busy too... I think if it slows down they would let the 6 contractors go who are retiree's working back here for twice the money
    HA! we must work at the same joint. SO many grey-haired "contractors" hauling in 1000+/day because they don't want to retire. At least they'll be a buffer.

I like how all the examples are O&G related, can't live the dream forever. Go utilities, always need to blow money on that.
    But really, I think people worry way too much. If you're worrying about your job, work harder or go somewhere more slack (but probably worse pay/perks).

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

HA! we must work at the same joint. SO many grey-haired "contractors" hauling in 1000+/day because they don't want to retire. At least they'll be a buffer.
    Just wait till those guys start retiring and see what happens to the wages then lol In my department at least 70% of the engineers and technologists are in retirement range in the next 5-7 years, if they aren't already calling it done. The company I work for has been having so much trouble finding competent people lately, if you're not working at the moment it's because you don't want to or you are unemployable due to being absolutely completely useless. Even the most marginal employees are finding work at the moment, and it shows in the quality of the projects (both on the engineering and construction side).
    Last edited by 4wheeldrift; 01-24-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.