Quantcast
Chicago - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Chicago

My Ride
    Silverado

buump. going down with the gf from tuesday to monday. she has a work conference for a couple days and I am looking to fill some time.

Any ideas? I will be staying dt.

if you have the chance http://www.lahumita.com/ Ecuadorian cuisine... fantastic!

My Ride
    wrx wagon

I was in Chicago a few months ago, albeit only for 1 day (and it was cold as f**k) so I don't have much to offer, other than that I read this entire thread and didn't see any mention of the Sears (Willis) Tower.

I took the elevator up to the top (108th floor if I recall) and the view was absolutely amazing. The Sears Tower was the tallest building in the world for 25+ years, and only just got surpassed as the tallest building in the US a year or two ago (by the new world trade center). Definitely worth the $20 imo. Doors open at 10am I believe, but it's worth going 20-30 mins early to line-up. I was on the very first elevator and it was nice because I got to go around and take a bunch of photos before the place got completely packed with tourists.

Dirtsniffer-

I just spent a few days in Chicago last week. Great place, recommend just strolling through downtown and checking out all the cool art installs and sites around town.

I will recommend Vertigo Sky Lounge on the 26 floor of a hotel. Should be easy to get in on a Monday/Tuesday, the ambience is nice and the view is great, opens at 4pm, $11 drink kind of place.

Lou Malnottis is pretty good for Chicago deep dish, there was a 45min wait when i went so get there before your stomach is eating itself.

Order yourself a B50 burger or a Paris burger here:

http://www.chefsburgerbistro.com/burger-menu

Get that thing medium rare and feel your heart about to stop while enjoying the best burger you'll eat in a restaurant again.

Otherwise, there was enough to see just walking around, seemed like a clean city and safe walking around at night.

I've been contemplating visitng Chicago. Maybe this summer!

my wife and i decided to cancel our annual vancouver/seattle trip this august, and are considering in going to chicago. we've never been, but we're looking at staying from aug 1 - aug 5. we just want to eat and shop lol! i think our brains are still processing all the architecture and museums that we saw in europe a couple of months ago, so no museums for this trip haha. here are my inquiries:

1. where is the best area within a modest budget to stay in (proximity to points of interest, safety, etc)?
    2. what is the preferred means of transportation? can we take the train and/or bus, or is it like calgary wherein i would need a car?
    3. is it worth getting the citypass for the 4 days that we will be there?
    4. we want to go to the premium outlet. what is the best way to get there?

any input is appreciated!

EDIT: we are debating between san francisco or chicago.
    Last edited by nj2Type-S; 07-14-2014 at 11:46 PM.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    Silverado

1. Don't stay on the south side. ha. We stayed: right on wacker drive near michigan ave. Michigan ave is where you will find a lot of high end shopping also known as the magnificent mile:

We walked and took the train a few times and got to most places pretty easy.

walking from the john hancock center to the shedd aquarium would probably take 75 minutes. I would recommend both those places. also heard lots of good things about the planitarium and the field museum.

Navy pier wasn't that impressive.

didnt go to the outlets, if it is accessible by train all the lines come down into the central loop so you can walk there easily if you stay in the bubble.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
    my wife and i decided to cancel our annual vancouver/seattle trip this august, and are considering in going to chicago. we've never been, but we're looking at staying from aug 1 - aug 5. we just want to eat and shop lol! i think our brains are still processing all the architecture and museums that we saw in europe a couple of months ago, so no museums for this trip haha. here are my inquiries:

1. where is the best area within a modest budget to stay in (proximity to points of interest, safety, etc)?
    2. what is the preferred means of transportation? can we take the train and/or bus, or is it like calgary wherein i would need a car?
    3. is it worth getting the citypass for the 4 days that we will be there?
    4. we want to go to the premium outlet. what is the best way to get there?

any input is appreciated!

EDIT: we are debating between san francisco or chicago.
    We stayed in the loop area, just south of the river. We found it pretty safe. All we needed to do was cross the river and there were lots of restaurants, clubs, etc.

We walked everywhere, or took the train. We cabbed it when we had to. Don't think a car is necessary.

The outlets suck. We actually rented a car and did a day trip there. Wasn't great.
    Last edited by CaptainReboot; 07-15-2014 at 09:23 PM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Bump! Planning one week in Chicago in next month.

So far on my list:
    Architectural boat tour
    Millennium Park / cloud gate
    Signature room/lounge at the Hancock building
    Magnificent Mile
    Fashion Outlets (near the airport)

Restaurants:
    Moto
    Blackbird
    Topolobampo
    Purple Pig
    Lou Malnati's
    Slurping Turtle

On my list of maybes:
    Museum of Science and Industry
    Shedd Aquarium
    Field Museum

Any underrated or overrated things to do to watch for? Is the Chicago Citypass worth it?

Suggestions for more casual restaurants / any good ethnic food that we don't get here?
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I just got back a few weeks ago, a quick 3 day trip to see a Blackhawks game & meetings. Always love Chicago, even in the winter.

Ginos East, Mordens, etc. Lots of good restaurants.

Downtown is very safe, even at night, but don't leave downtown if you're out at night.

My Ride
    Silverado

Lot's of restaurants for sure. I can confirm that lou manaltis and the purple pig are good. Actually everywhere we went was good.

I'd go check out wildberry cafe for breakfast if you're going to go check out the bean in the morning.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Food - Definitely get a Chicago style hot-dog, I went to Portillo's. The dog looked very underwhelming when I got it, but soooo good. I had to go and buy 2 more.

Architectural Tour - I did a walking tour with the Chicago Architecture Foundation, it was pretty neat. Would do it again.

Field Museum - I checked it out, was OK but not super exciting. It's more geared towards kids. I didn't really learn much of anything that I didn't already know, probably wouldn't go back.

Other - I also rented a bicycle and went for a ride around, that's always a great way to see a city. Chicago is great for biking, flat as a pancake and tons of bike lanes everywhere. I rode around the seedy industrial areas on the south side, lots of abandoned warehouses and cool old things.

Per my comment above, I would also check out the Sears Tower. It's still the 6th highest observation deck in the entire world.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Just booked a trip down to Chicago over the August long weekend, any updates from people who have been to there recently? My idea of a good time is eating and drinking at as many restaurants and bars as possible. As the major attractions don't ever change there is lots of good information in this thread.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I just saw a thing on Anthony Bordaine's layover about Chicago, it definitely made me want to go there. It is now on my list, and it is a very short list.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4