Quantcast
Stupid Al Gore - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Al Gore

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Default Stupid Al Gore

The next-generation Corvette — scheduled to bow in 2012 — could be lighter and less powerful than the current model, thanks to stricter CAFE regulations. The current Corvette lineup includes the 430 horsepower base car and the 505 horsepower Z06. Chevrolet also took the wraps off of its 620 horsepower 2009 Corvette ZR1 at the Detroit Auto Show last week.

The new CAFE regulations have Chevrolet engineers thinking more about an environmentally friendly Corvette than a 700 horsepower one. "What's going to be more important is fuel economy, carbon footprint and green," Tom Wallace, vehicle line executive for the Corvette, told Automotive News. "We have already paid a lot of attention to those areas. Where we can pay more attention is pounds per horsepower."

Wallace added: "I don't think we're going to design a 700 horsepower Corvette."

Instead, Wallace says the next Corvette will have a heavy emphasis on pounds per horsepower. Although no figures are set, Wallace said that if the C7 Corvette were to shed 300 or 400 pounds, it could use a 4.7L V8 with 150 less horsepower than found in the 2008 models and still maintain the same performance. Lighter weight would also translate into better handling.
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/corvette...gulations.html

In the face of newly passed CAFE regulations, it looks as though Chrysler will once again have to cease production of its legendary Hemi engine. Chrysler hopes to sway the definition of what performance and power means to those who didn't grow up with the Hemi engine by offering smaller, more fuel efficient powerplants with similar performance.

"The Hemi is not the powertrain of the future," Jim Press, Chrysler co-president, told Automotive News. "It's the powertrain of today."

One powertrain of the future could lie underneath the hood of the recently unveiled Dodge Zeo — a 268 horsepower electric motor capable of propelling the concept from 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. Dodge says the lithium-ions battery pack that powers the car can go 250 miles between charges.

Although the Dodge Zeo offers Hemi-like performance without the fuel consumption or emissions, its technology still puts it several years out. However, Chrysler's new line of fuel efficient Phoenix V6 engines will arrive in about a year. The new Phoenix range of engines will feature double-overhead-cams, an aluminum block, variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation. The new V6s should offer greater performance while reducing emissions and fuel consumption.

But Chrysler hasn't completely given up on the Hemi yet. The latest iteration will bow in the all-new 2009 Dodge Ram, which will feature the same displacement — 5.7L — but will see a 10% increase in horsepower — up to 380 — while reducing overall fuel consumption by 4%. The improvement were achieved through variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation.

Chrysler didn't shed any more light on the Hemi's future, but with the new CAFE standards taking effect in 2011, the Hemi's revival could be short lived.
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/chrysler...he-future.html
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

Nice to see its getting stuff done. +1 for CAFE regulations. -1 for Eleanor, gores my boy.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

This is good to hear, green is good. Every time I drive into Calgary at night and see that big ugly brown and yellow band across the city, I want more hybrid cars on the road.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

if my car was more fuel efficient, i would drive more...

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

perhaps this will push the americans into producing less horribly inefficient engines.

7.0L to get 505hp is not that great...

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

This is a good thing... and by the sounds of it, will possibly make the corvette even better by making it lighter weight and use less fuel, yet still same performance... how is that bad in any way?

Good to see something finally impact auto manufacturers big time, and make them move away from inefficient gas guzzling motors and such.

its good to see the american "big 3" finally putting some emphasis on fuel efficiency. they finally got the clue after 10 years of crap. especially chrysler.
    I have a hunch that the old systems (hemi etc) will still be available for some time to come.

as for Al Gore, South Park pretty much mimics my oppinion of him in the "imagination land" episodes.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Well it had to be done. I think we'll see more turbo charged and/or diesel vehicles from here on in.

Corvette in itself is very fuel efficient for what it is. But they have to leave room in CAFE for the bread and butter guzzler trucks. So these low volume car end up suffering.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Lots of people seem in favour of the new cafe regulations but I think lots of people are forgetting how much these new lightweight vehicles are going to cost. Performance vehicles may get more light weight and efficient but the cost to play might eliminate a ton of enthusiasts.

And it isn't just the American companies this is going to effect. The Japanese companies are going to have trouble with this too.

Originally posted by gpomp
    if my car was more fuel efficient, i would drive more...
    And this is the funny part about the government using regulation to force the auto companies to build more fuel efficient vehicles to 'reduce America's dependance on foreign oil'. Many people will just drive more or buy the larger or more powerful vehicle since it now gets the same mileage as their old smaller less powerful car and in the end use the same amount of fuel anyway so there will be little to no benefit.

The only real way to reduce their dependency would be to double the price of gas imo. (not that I would be in favour of that)

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by Mr_ET
    7.0L to get 505hp is not that great...
    yeah a 7 liter v8 with 505hp and 475 lb-ft of tq that still gets 26 mpg on the highway. Plus you get way more torque out of it.

and lets bash the 8.4 liter viper v-10 that meets LEV 2 standards.

but wait an s2000 with its 2.0L 240hp f20c only gets 24 mpg highway and only meets LEV standards? But wait V-TAK yo!
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by Destinova403
    its good to see the american "big 3" finally putting some emphasis on fuel efficiency. they finally got the clue after 10 years of crap. especially chrysler.
    I have a hunch that the old systems (hemi etc) will still be available for some time to come.

as for Al Gore, South Park pretty much mimics my oppinion of him in the "imagination land" episodes.
    chrysler isnt that horrible, they can be quite fuel efficient if you drive them right...

In my 2005 neon, i get about 9-10L/100km consumption...

In my 2004 srt4 with almost 400 horse, if i turn the boost down and drive like a normal person, i get 10L/100km... that's not bad is it, considering hte power what does a civic get, 7-8L/100km?

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by b_t
    This is good to hear, green is good. Every time I drive into Calgary at night and see that big ugly brown and yellow band across the city, I want more hybrid cars on the road.
    what are you talking about ????? smog in calgary?? Have you traveled anywhere else urban in the world?

The brown is the setting sun for fuck's sake

Originally posted by riceeater
    wrong.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Good.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by riceeater

what are you talking about ????? smog in calgary?? Have you traveled anywhere else urban in the world?

You fucking moron, the CF fumes must be getting to your head. I like your name - riceeater - but you are the biggest producer of nice CF patterned rice in the whole fucking city.

How long have you lived in Calgary? Just in the four years I've been making my drive to SAIT, I have noticed that there is now this hideous brown stain of smog over the city in the past while that was never there four years ago. Its a city of over one million people with an insane amount of cars per capita, a shitty public transportation system, and industrial work going on within the city limits. How in the fuck could it NOT have smog?

Sure the setting sun might highlight it (you know I am driving east though, away from the setting sun?), but it is still there, and you can see it on any day that is warmer than normal when the weather pushes it down to ground level. Sure it is not as bad as say, LA, but it is still atrocious and is still way way worse than it was when I was growing up here.

Every time I see it I wish I had a hybrid or a diesel that gets 60mpg.

the city does have smog. most of the time it's not noticeable because of the winds from the the mountains in the west push our pollution over to the east to saskatchewan.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

calgary has smog? since when?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by blownz

The only real way to reduce their dependency would be to double the price of gas imo. (not that I would be in favour of that)
    This is the only way. You have change the consumption habits of the consumer, not the production habits of the producers.

Car manufacturers will build what people buy. Why do you think 50% of vehicles sold are light duty trucks. It isn't because GM, Ford and Chrysler decided to produce more of them and offer them for cheap, cheap prices. No, it is because consumers demanded them and thus they are a cash cow for the Big 3.

They are such a big cash cow that even the Japanese are playing ball (new full size Tundra).

Double or Triple the price of gas, like what happened in the late 70s and early 80s and I can guarantee that the new CAFE regulations will be met.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by gpomp
    calgary has smog? since when?
    Wait for an inverted day in the summer and you will see the Brown air. It has been over Calgary for a good ten years.

My Ride
    I like. :)

Cool Al Gore.

Lighter cars, less heavy, more fuel efficient, better handling, longer brake life, longer tire life, with the same HP? I can live with that, it's a Gran Turismo-style upgrade that would be welcomed for any car and car buyer Plus less emphysema and other respiratory ailments.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast