Quantcast
Sushi In Airdrie or Goood But Cheap in Calgary (if that is possible? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sushi In Airdrie or Goood But Cheap in Calgary (if that is possible?

My Ride
    2014 Mustang GT DIB track pkg 2010 GMC Terrain SLT

Default Sushi In Airdrie or Goood But Cheap in Calgary (if that is possible?

Hey Gang,

I know that Sushi has been discussed on numerous occasions, but I don't recall seeing anything about Airdrie anywhere. Other than Superstore, is there anywhere in Airdrie that you can get this stuff? I love sushi and I have a few places in Calgary that I like. It would be more convenient to get it in Airdrie, but if you know some good prices in Calgary let me know please.

We order it out and usually get about 22 pieces or so consisting of:

- Fatty Tuna (toro)
    - Scallops
    - Smoked Salmon
    - Prawn (ebi)

Scallop and Smoked Salmon are what we eat the most of. Thanks for any info!

Southey!

My Ride
    POS Voyager

check out http://globefish.ca/

i am going there tonight with my co-workers....

it got menu and prices on that site ..so check it out

i heard its good there

maruju on center street
    like $1.15 for salmon sushi... and they are very generous. Damn fish drapes over the rice. Unagi is also awesome there too

I think that places like wa's or globefish sell special sushi. So if you like original creations and something pretty to look at then they are also a good place to go.

My Ride

Thanks for the info so far. I called Maruju and there prices are quite similiar to everywhere else. I love sushi and don't mind paying $40 for my wife and I to eat, but a little cheaper would be better. Sushi Tokyo is the cheapest I have found so far, but there quality isn't tops and for some reason they don't give you your money back for parking even if it is a pick up. That doesn't make sense to me at all. My wife and I can pay $40 for all you can eat, take up space in their restaurant and eat a lot more than 22 pieces of sushi plus the cooked stuff. It is because of the parking thing that I mainly won't go there.

For Maruju, is it downtown in China Town or North of the Centre Street Bridge? I was actually wanting a chai latte for my supper too and apparently there is a Starbucks next door? Thanks for the info.

My Ride
    NC1

Maruju is in the plaza on the corner of 9th AVE & Center ST. (top of Center Street Bridge). Yes Starbucks is next door.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

Maruju is my new place for sushi as I just ate there for supper tonight. They even give you a 5% discount for take out orders which is sweet. Price is great and the sushi is even better. I think it has less rice than most places which makes the fish seem bigger, but it is still a bit larger piece than other places. Thanks for mentioning this place "Pihsiak."

To answer my own question, Airdrie now has a sushi restaurant in the mini mall on main street by Sears. I can't think of the name right now, but I will try it out and let people know how it is in case you live in Airdrie too.

My Ride
    W204

I dunno what's up with Globefish... I've been there many times in the past. Their original location (called Chopsticks back then) in the NE (Memorial & 16th) was good, no amazing, and they were never busy. They sold that location, moved to Sunnyside and seemed to have hit the jackpot with all the hippies. But along with that, their quality is waaaaaay down (it was terrible when I was back there about 1 1/2 years ago). My buddies have also been maybe 1/2 a year ago and they concur. And last time I checked it out to give them another chance (a few weeks ago?), it was damn near impossible to get a table. So I said forget it and hi-tailed it to my favorite place...

Sushi Bar Zipang! Amazing quality but on the higher end of the pricing spectrum. Skip the rolls, which they aren't known for, and head straight for the nigiri and sashimi. You won't be disappointed. Staff are professional, and they usually have special fish every week. They had a "super special sashimi" platter for 2-3 a while back (albeit $120) but it came with botan ebi, chu toro, and other very tasty morsels... But I only got a glimpse of it as I couldn't afford it, LOL.

My other fave was Misato, but my friends and I got sick one time eating there and haven't been back since. Though the owner did refund my bill in cash after I informed her.

My 3rd fave is Sushi Bar Miki but that place seems to be the most expensive by far, and I don't go all that often. PLus their quality is usually on par or slightly below that of Zipang.

I've been to a lot of sushi places and the first 2 are by far the best in Calgary IMO. But then everyone seems to have their favorites, so to each his own.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

SUSHI HIRO

hiro's cheap? lol

i just tried maruju the other night, it's now on my 'ok' list
    not the greatest, but it's price fairly

Originally posted by dragonone
    hiro's cheap? lol

i just tried maruju the other night, it's now on my 'ok' list
    not the greatest, but it's price fairly
    You think? I found the prices a bit high.

The fish is good at maruju, but the rice/preparation is poor.

I find Globefish is expensive for what you get also.

If Misato is out (best place in calgary in terms of quality/price imo, sorry to hear someone got sick there), another place to try is Hibiki. I'm not sure how the prices are on individual pieces, but I'd guess not particularly cheap. Still, good food there. Worth a try!

Sushi Hibiki 6-630 1 Avenue NE (403) 264-1211

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

Originally posted by msouther
    Thanks for the info so far. I called Maruju and there prices are quite similiar to everywhere else. I love sushi and don't mind paying $40 for my wife and I to eat, but a little cheaper would be better. Sushi Tokyo is the cheapest I have found so far, but there quality isn't tops and for some reason they don't give you your money back for parking even if it is a pick up. That doesn't make sense to me at all. My wife and I can pay $40 for all you can eat, take up space in their restaurant and eat a lot more than 22 pieces of sushi plus the cooked stuff. It is because of the parking thing that I mainly won't go there.
    there is a sushi tokyo no more than a 10 minute drive away from there, its on mcloud(sp) trail they have. no need to pay for parking

My Ride
    09 wrx265

might try globefish soon.

can anyone recommend any other good sushi restaurant?
    especially for a group of 6-8

I've tried almost every Japanese owned sushi restaurant in Calgary and I happen to be friends with a lot of the chefs as well. Of course I always take the opportunity to ask them what their favorite Japanese restaurant is... not including the one they work for.

Although they all have their own personal tastes (traditional, westernized, etc.), they all agree that Zipang is probably one of the best in the city... if not _the_ best.

I have to agree with them. When it comes to traditional sushi, Zipang is very hard to beat. I really like their tekka-don myself.

If I'm looking for something unique and want to impress my Japanese colleagues, I'll take them to Blowfish - not to be confused with Globefish. The head chef there is well known for his dishes with fuse traditional Japanese cuisine with a European flair. It's ironic because this is a chef who worked at one of the most traditional restaurants in Japan (called a Ryo-tei) making nigiri which cost $25 a piece.

It's not cheap but I go there once every few months. I'll always ask for the omakase - chefs choice when I go.

Hey guys i'm thinking of eating out lunch with my family today. where is a good place to go to for japanese/sushi restaurant that 's not fine dining. ive eaten japanese only at two places:

one is a restaurant i forgot close to chinook mall at macleod trail; small restaurant; does anyone know what name of restaurant this is?

other is sumo lounge on eau claire market; liked it here because they have eat all you can he he

preferably in SW but does not matter...cheers

Originally posted by tyler_durden
    Hey guys i'm thinking of eating out lunch with my family today. where is a good place to go to for japanese/sushi restaurant that 's not fine dining. ive eaten japanese only at two places:

one is a restaurant i forgot close to chinook mall at macleod trail; small restaurant; does anyone know what name of restaurant this is?

other is sumo lounge on eau claire market; liked it here because they have eat all you can he he

preferably in SW but does not matter...cheers
    The first one sounds like maybe Kinjos? But I'm not from the south so I'm not sure where it is in relation to Chinook.

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

there are a few sushi places on macleod

My Ride
    2011 Genesis Coupe, 96 Probe GT

Might have been Sushi Ichiban.....it's a little further north of Chinook though

My Ride
    09 wrx265

quick question but til what time are Maruju and Zipang open on a friday night?
    was planning to head there for dinner around 9pm

never goto ichiban that place is shit
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info