Quantcast
Can Mazda cancel my warranty if I install a aftermarket Remote Start? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Can Mazda cancel my warranty if I install a aftermarket Remote Start?

My Ride
    2000 Chevy S-10 ZR2

Default Can Mazda cancel my warranty if I install a aftermarket Remote Start?

The guy in the Mazda parts department says that my warranty will be voided on any systems or items that a non-Mazda remote start interacts with, touches, or affects. Is this correct or is this just the guy in the parts department trying to make a sale on a Mazda installed 1-way remote (they don't sell a 2 way remote)? Is this inforceable by Mazda?

The Owners Manual says that "The SecuriLock passive anti-theft system is not compatible with non-Mazda aftermarket remote start systems. Use of these systems may result in vehicle starting problems and a loss of security protection."

I just bought a 2008 Mada Tribute with keyless entry and the SecuriLock passive anti-theft system.
    http://www.zedr2.com

That's correct.

Makes sense if you think about it. You install some aftermarket parts and it directly or indirectly causes damage to your car. Why should Mazda be responsible? They neither sold you the parts nor installed them.

Correct!

Usually the dealer will sell you auto starts.
    Sometimes you have to take a chance, whether that be on someone, or something!

My Ride
    2000 Chevy S-10 ZR2

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    That's correct.

Makes sense if you think about it. You install some aftermarket parts and it directly or indirectly causes damage to your car. Why should Mazda be responsible? They neither sold you the parts nor installed them.
    What are the chances that the Aftermarket Seller/Installer will stand behind their work and their product and will pay for any repair of any damage caused either by their installaion or their product....

If yes... do you have any recommendations on local distributors/installers that stand behind their work and product?

My Ride
    2000 Chevy S-10 ZR2

Originally posted by 2BLUE
    Correct!

Usually the dealer will sell you auto starts.
    They only sell a 1 -way remote start (I want a 2-way) and they want $500 for it (installation included), which I thought was a bit high.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

$500 is about right. We do some remote start installs for a Mazda dealer up here in Edmonton. The Mazda security system is top-notch; not much point in upgrading that. The remote start blows.

The dealer up here uses Astrostart for their starters.

But in terms of time and item cost, $500 is indeed what it costs for a 1 way remote start, even if you were to go somewhere else.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

I'll add this too. According to the Canadian Consumer Protection Act, the dealer would have to prove in a court of law that the installation of a remote start caused a problem with the car, if one occurred. They cannot void your warranty without proof.

And I'll say again that the Mazda factory starter sucks nuts. 15 foot range, at the most.
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    I'll add this too. According to the Canadian Consumer Protection Act, the dealer would have to prove in a court of law that the installation of a remote start caused a problem with the car, if one occurred. They cannot void your warranty without proof.
    Aren't you thinking of the moss magnuson act in the U.S.? I was under the impression we don't have something like that up here where it pertains to warranties.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2000 Chevy S-10 ZR2

Excuse my ignorance, but I know absolutely nothing about how these aftermarket systems are installed.
    My question is: "What could go wrong after installation that could damage my vehicle and what are the chances of it happening?"

My Ride
    eats gas like no other

i always thought that if you installed a remote starter, only certain part's warranty would be voided (ie battery) while other part's warranty stay valid as long as the aftermarket part has no direction connect to it.

Does that make any sense?

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Originally posted by ChevyZR2
    Excuse my ignorance, but I know absolutely nothing about how these aftermarket systems are installed.
    My question is: "What could go wrong after installation that could damage my vehicle and what are the chances of it happening?"
    Hey, not many people do

Basically, a remote start is a very fancy way of hot-wiring your car: you're allowing it to start without the key in. To do this, on most new cars, you have to trick the car into thinking it has a key in it. I'll get to that in a minute.

So if you have non-push button car, the installation will consist of the main module, a mess of wiring, an antenna, and (on most new cars) a bypass module. The bypass module performs the function of the chip in your key, allowing the security to be bypassed by the remote start module.

Wires are attached at various points on the ignition harness (starter, ignition, accessory, 12V constant, etc) as well as attachments for the parking lights (for them to flash) and the brake sensor. Wires are run to the engine bay (for some, not all models) and attached to a hood pin and one of the wires on an injector in your engine.

The hood pin keeps your engine from being remotely started while the hood is open (so you don't accidently hurt yourself or somebody else). The brake switch wiring disables the start if the brake is pressed (or the wire disconnected) before the key is in the ignition. This keeps the car from being stolen, as the second the brake is touched the car will disable itself. The injector wire is for the tach signal to keep revs at a reasonable level. On some models, this will also disable the start if somebody hits the gas (same idea as the brake) without the key in.

So there are a few areas that work is done on. However, if installed properly, it should function the same as when it left the factory. A great install is difficult to distinguish from factory work anyways.

Many, many dealers, including Mazda, rely on aftermarket starters, and will warranty the work. I should know, we do aftermarket starters for Sherwood Park Toyota as well as a few for Park Mazda.

The chances of something going wrong are slim to none, and if something went wrong the chances it would cause a problem are virtually zero. No vital systems are disconnected. Wires are spliced, not cut. Even if the starter module died completely, you'd just lose the remote start. It can't damage anything else.

My Ride
    00 Accord sedan

i work at autotemp and our installs have a year warranty on them and most of the time when ppl come in saying that theres a problem with the starter ends up being a problem with shitty cars

If you buy a low end starter with anti-grind you could wreck your starter and that wouldn't be covered under warranty. If the starter wasn't installed properly and caused a short somewhere in your wiring harness, any damage that arises wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Bottom line, make sure you get the system installed by competent people or better yet, have Mazda install the starter.

My Ride
    Honda Civic 1995, 1996 Acura Integra

at toyota.. our remote starters are crap to..
    we use the key fob to start the engine.. meaning.. the range of the remote starter is the same range as your key fob.. (about 40 to 60 feet)
    but our remote starter doesnt bypass the Immobolizer.
    they wont be able to hot wire the car without a key..
    i'm not sure how those aftermarket starter works.. not sure if you can start the car without the key.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

^ You can't take the car without the key. If someone were to get in and touch the gas or brake without a key (or fob in range) then the engine shuts down. Without the remote you can't make the bypass module work, so it can't be used to start the car.

My Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT

Which mazda dealership in calgary is this

i got a 2007 mazda 3GT from northill with top of the line service woot

My Ride
    WRB WRX

With any install there is always a chance of something going wrong - especially on newer vehicles. What I would recommend is to go to a shop that stands behind their work. It's always someones fault if there is an issue. So if mazda wont cover it, the install shop should.
    I am Ihatetowait and this is what I say ^