Quantcast
Microsoft vs Google - Microsoft offers $44.6b for yahoo! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft vs Google - Microsoft offers $44.6b for yahoo!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Microsoft vs Google - Microsoft offers $44.6b for yahoo!

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080201/microsoft_yahoo.html

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. has pounced on slumping Internet icon Yahoo Inc. with an unsolicited takeover offer of $44.6 billion in its boldest bid yet to challenge Google Inc.'s dominance of the lucrative online search and advertising markets. The Justice Department says it is interested in reviewing antitrust issues associated with it.

The surprise offer of $31 per share, made late Thursday and announced Friday, seizes on Yahoo's weakness while Microsoft tries to muscle up in a high-stakes battle with Google likely to define the technology landscape for years to come.

In a statement Friday, Yahoo said it will "carefully and promptly" study Microsoft's bid.

With its profits steadily sliding, Yahoo's stock slipped to a four-year low earlier this week and a new management team has been trying to steer a turnaround but sees more turbulence through 2008.

The announcement lifted Yahoo's share price by almost 50 percent in morning trading, while Google fell almost 8 percent, dragged down by a fourth-quarter earnings report that missed Wall Street expectations.

In conference call Friday morning, Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer indicated he won't take no for an answer after Yahoo rebuffed takeover overtures a year ago.

"This is a decision we have -- and I have -- thought long and hard about," Ballmer said. "We are confident it's the right path for Microsoft and Yahoo."

To underscore its resolve, Microsoft is offering a 62 percent premium to Yahoo's closing stock price Thursday. If the deal is consummated, it would be by far the largest acquisition in Microsoft's history, eclipsing last year's $6 billion purchase of online ad service aQuantive.

Since reaching a 52-week high of $34.08 in October, Yahoo shares have fallen 46 percent. Yahoo climbed $9.41 a share, or 49 percent, to $28.59 in morning trading. Microsoft shares fell $1.43, or 4.4 percent, to $31.17.

Microsoft publicly disclosed its cash-and-stock offer in hopes of rallying support from Yahoo's shareholders, making it more difficult for Yahoo's board to turn down the bid.

In a letter released Friday, Ballmer pointedly noted Yahoo's financial performance has deteriorated since Microsoft was spurned a year ago. At that time, Ballmer said he was told Yahoo believed it was better off on its own.

"A year has gone by, and the competitive situation has not improved," Ballmer wrote in his letter.

Microsoft's previous offer was rebuffed by Terry Semel, who stepped aside last year as chief executive under shareholder pressure.

Microsoft sent its latest takeover offer to Yahoo late Thursday, shortly after Semel resigned as the company's chairman. The letter is addressed to Semel's successors, new Chairman Roy Bostock and the current CEO, co-founder Jerry Yang, who is one of Yahoo's largest shareholders.

In a prepared statement, Yahoo said its board "will evaluate this proposal carefully and promptly in the context of Yahoo's strategic plans and pursue the best course of action to maximize long-term value for shareholders."

Microsoft views Yahoo as its best chance to thwart Google, which has leveraged its leadership in Internet search and advertising to emerge as an increasingly serious threat to the world's largest software maker's persuasive influence on how people interact with computers.

Google already controls nearly 60 percent of the U.S. search market, and has been widening its lead, despite concerted efforts by both second-place Yahoo and third-place Microsoft. By combining, Microsoft and Yahoo would have a 33 percent share of the U.S. search market, according to the latest data from comScore Media Metrix.

By joining forces, Microsoft and Yahoo also would widen their narrowing advantage over Google in providing free e-mail accounts -- a service that helps foster more loyalty with users and create more advertising opportunities.

Advertisers around the world are expected to double their spending on the Internet during the next three years as more people get their news and entertainment on the Web instead of television, radio, newspapers and magazine. The trend is expected to create an $80 billion online ad market in 2010, up from an estimated $40 billion last year.

Despite an aggressive push in recent years, Microsoft's online advertising expansion hasn't paid off. Last week, the Redmond, Wash.-based company reported a 79 percent jump in its overall profit, but its online division's loss widened to $245 million.

And Yahoo has been struggling to attract more advertising even though its Web site attracts one of the biggest audiences. The Sunnyvale-based company's profit has declined for five consecutive quarters, prompting plans to cut 1,000 jobs later this month, a 7 percent reduction of its 14,300-employee work force.

Besides helping to boost its online ad revenue, Microsoft believes it could mine more profit from Yahoo by jettisoning workers and eliminating overlapping operations.

Microsoft said it sees at least $1 billion in cost savings if it buys Yahoo. Microsoft executives deflected questions about how many jobs might be lost, but the company emphasized retention packages will be offered to Yahoo engineers and other key employees, including some executives.

The fate of Yahoo's brand also is unclear if Microsoft takes over. Both Ballmer and Kevin Johnson, president of Microsoft's platforms and services division, hailed Yahoo's strong brand value but didn't commit to keeping the name alive.

AP Business Writer Jennifer Malloy in New York and AP Business Writer Jessica Mintz in Seattle contributed to this story.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    TL

Read about this on the way to the office. Big news!!

My Ride
    W204

If you can't beat them, buy them.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Honda Accord

That's a lotta money
    Go Flames!

Trying to take on Google leveraging Yahoo, not going to work.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by clem24
    If you can't beat them, buy them.
    Yahoo! doesn't concern Microsoft. Google does.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

Yahoo! doesn't concern Microsoft. Google does.
    Whats the last Yahoo! product you've used? Still think Google is concerned?
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Toms-SC
    I should've been more clear. Google concerns Microsoft.

And ya, I'm on yahoo everyday. It's my homepage haha.

You freak! 1 in a million I tell ya.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I should've been more clear. Google concerns Microsoft.

Same here. Yahoo is my homepage.
    I prefer it as a search engine.

2 in a million. Anyone else care to step up?

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Originally posted by Toms-SC

I actually have Yahoo! as my homepage as well. There are some strengths in Yahoo! (such as Yahoo! Finance, which is an EXCELLENT free source for financial data -- easily the best out there) where Google can't even compete that I'm sure Microsoft will leverage off of.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Originally posted by CLiVE

2 in a million. Anyone else care to step up?
    3 in a million.

Yup Yahoo has been my homepage for years .. I love the sports sections and its just nicer .. also I remember reading that if M$ gets Yahoo that Xbox Live is going to be way better?
    Last edited by beecue; 02-01-2008 at 04:25 PM.

My Ride
    335i

I use yahoo daily. News, financing, etc
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Google will not remain as dominant in five years as it is today. Various components of its paid-per-click advertising mediums, along with other elements of its operations, are alienating the very people that use them. Plus, Google is growing and becoming more bureaucratic.

With little in the way of tangible products, its only a matter of time before Google begins to decline from its current over-inflated state.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I use yahoo mainly for the news. I use google for all my searches.

5 in a million right here...i prefer it for the news and finance and like rage use google for searches.

My Ride
    R50

Yahoo Finance everyday here! It's awesome for my financial news. Google finance doesn't even come close.
    Last edited by cdnsir; 02-01-2008 at 05:42 PM.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Yahoo.ca is my homepage too....since it has news, weather, stocks, headlines, etc.

But everytime I search, I still use Google (even if I just started internet and am already on Yahoo.)

Comment recalled. I guess I haven't really known anybody that uses Yahoo service!
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast