Quantcast
wiring - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: wiring

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

Default wiring

hey...i need wires for my amp etc...does the brand really make a difference? would an 80 dollar amp kit from a&b sound differ from a 20 dollar kit from walmart or somewhere?..anyone know where to get some wire for cheap?..thanks

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

My Ride
    NC1

I thought you were an audio guru? You know how to build these awesome sub boxes but it seems like you don't know much about car audio? Its all good, I don't know much either.

Anyway, you get what you pay for and I don't think I would trust Walmart lol

I think you should talk to TomTom, he's got some hookups at Visions!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

just as long as the gauge is the same i dont think it makes too much of a diffrence

oh yah if you want i gots the hook up at a&b

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

Originally posted by max_boost
    I thought you were an audio guru? You know how to build these awesome sub boxes but it seems like you don't know much about car audio? Its all good, I don't know much either.

Anyway, you get what you pay for and I don't think I would trust Walmart lol

I think you should talk to TomTom, he's got some hookups at Visions!

haha ya man...i know mostly boxes...i also "know" how to hook up amps but they never work for some reason so i hate doing it myself :madred:

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

For the most part, wire is wire is wire (as far as sound quality). I think the only exception comes when you're looking at different RCA cables, but even then the difference in sound is almost unnoticeable. I'd spring for the $20 kit.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    For the most part, wire is wire is wire (as far as sound quality). I think the only exception comes when you're looking at different RCA cables, but even then the difference in sound is almost unnoticeable. I'd spring for the $20 kit.
    I'm with D'z Nutz on this one! I've sold and installed so many amps, decks, speakers and shit and the difference in sound quality is not that noticeable. Only if you're going to sound competitions and what not should you spring for the good stuff. The only other difference between the 100 dollar rca cables and 10 dollar rca cables is really how they look, a very small difference in sound quality as well as 20 bucks commission for the sales person. In regards to wiring, it's pretty much all the same. You'll see some speaker wire that is twisted to cancel out inductance and you'll see some others that will have a piece of rubber inbetween the twisted pair, so it is actually braided and this is to cancel out inductance as well. It's all the same ol shit to most people that just want to have decent sound system.
    One final thing to keep in mind, accessories is where sales people make the most money so if they tend to push the "higher end" more expensive stuff, there are two reasons. The first is to make money and the second is sound quality. An 80 dollar amp kit is about 38 dollars or less at cost. Some food for thought people! don't you love learning new stuff everyday??
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    purdy blue car

Sound quality will DEFINITELY vary with wire, and you don't always get what you pay for. Thick "monster" cables, for example, tend to make the sound somewhat muddy, and I wouldn't recommend them for anything but a multi-kilowatt subwoofer. Most times you'd get better sound with a thin-guage solid-core wire from Radio Shack.

For a car audio application, however, you have a huge noise floor and a horrible acoustic environment, so it won't make as much of a difference.

If you have a good home setup, however, the cables you use can have a huge impact.

Braiding or twisting cables helps mitigate RFI as well as minimizing inductance. I make all my own cables, and have tried pretty much every cable recipe out there.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by Fat Dave

Braiding or twisting cables helps mitigate RFI as well as minimizing inductance. I make all my own cables, and have tried pretty much every cable recipe out there.
    where do u pick up the material for your wiring?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

hey redline, u think u could built me a ported box for 2 12" mtx thunder 8000s?? i'll buy u a bowl of pho!!! =) hehehe

but seriously PM me

My Ride
    97 Ls/Vtec ..95 Pathfinder

ill take you when we get the amp and youll get it way cheeper than a&b
    A$$

My Ride
    2011 BMW X5 5.0

I can hook you up for cheap cables too at Audio Concepts.